Jump to content

Driver Side Windshield Wiper Not Working-Passenger Side Is Fine


Recommended Posts

I was considering buying a 2004 Dynasty but all of the great information I got persuaded me to change my mind from that particular seller.
Instead, I bought a 2004 Monaco Signature Conquest from a seller in British Columbia. Then I sought advice on US Customs and what route to drive from Western Canada. All of the advice led to good decisions and I am very grateful for the knowledge.

Now I in Illionois and only 900 miles from home. The trip has gone great.

But I have this driver side windshield wiper problem and I am stuck in a Pilot Truck Sop parking lot.

The best I can describe the problem is as follows"

The driver side wiper on my 2004 Monaco Signature Conquest will not work. The passenger side works fine. The connection of the driver side wiper arm to system is fine. When the wiper blade is removed the connector will operate up and down. Appears to only not work when the load of the wiper is on it.

Any ideas to help me?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jim Bob said:

If you can't get it fixed, you could put rain X on it.  Unless it is raining really hard...  you won't even need a wiper.

I did that one time in a pretty hard rain storm and drove 5 hours to get to where I was going at night. The rainx worked great. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the wiper arm on the drive shaft, drill a hole thru it, to fit a roll pin. WAX your windshield with Paste wax, buff, then apply a coat of RaniX. Eliminates a lot of the porosity voids on the glass surface. Did it 10 yars full timing. Very rarely did i need/use my wipers. Bugs come off easier too.
 Windshield Wiper Parts
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I carry a small step stool, not high enough to do the whole windshield.  But I extend my generator slide out, there is a metal platform in front of the generator that I stand on and can reach +80% of the windshield to clean. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congratulations on your Monaco Signature.  It will be a great coach but as you're finding out there are dozens of things to fix, modify, and update.  

This is a quote from Hypoxia's post on IRV2.  Replacement wipers 2005 signature - iRV2 Forums:

Some Monaco have AM Equipment wiper system https://www.amequipment.com/
Others such as mine have Diesel Equipment Co. Wiper Technologies wiper system. Wiper Blades TRU Vision Motorhome RV

If it is a Wiper Technologies system, there should be a label on the wiper motor with a "Monaco Kit" number. If this is the case call them and order directly from them. They will need that kit number.

For now, it sounds like the arm assembly is slipping on the pivot.  You will need to tap it on briskly and almost over tighten the nut. Some Locktite or a small amount of JB Quik Weld may help.  

This is a link to a search with multiple threads on wipers and a wealth of information:

iRV2 Forums - Search Results 

Best of luck!

Edited by vito.a
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My thanks to all for the information.
I will follow up when I get home.
I am trying the RainX solution.
I made it to Walmart and got supplies including a large folding step stool.
The idea of needing a ladder or large folding step stool helped a lot.
Anyway, I now have about 5 coats of RainX on the front windshield.
Hard rain is showing on weather radar in the next hour so I will stay put and leave later.
Thanks to all of the help it looks like I am only in for a one-day delay and not two to three.
I will post the final result.
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Paul A. said:
With the wiper arm on the drive shaft, drill a hole thru it, to fit a roll pin. WAX your windshield with Paste wax, buff, then apply a coat of RaniX. Eliminates a lot of the porosity voids on the glass surface. Did it 10 yars full timing. Very rarely did i need/use my wipers. Bugs come off easier too.
 Windshield Wiper Parts

Paul, what paste wax would you recommend?

Gary 05 AMB DST

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always use a wax that is Montan based, not carnabu.lasts longer. 

Montan Wax is an aged and hardened carnauba wax. The advantage is that it has a much higher breakdown temperature and puts a much more durable shell of protection on your paint surface. It also can still give you a nice deep shine, depending on which product you choose.
Edited by Paul A.
Added
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did the RainX but I finally found an RV mechanic to look at it. He said the spline where the arm attaches is stripped.
Anyone have a source for a driver side wiper arm on the 2004 Monaco Signature Conquest?
I did not find it on the parts list.

Thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the parts breakdown for wiper system, it has both the Monaco part number and also the vendor part number.  I checked with REV, they have the passenger side in stock but not the drivers side.   Not sure these are the same as yours, you might be able to visually confirm. 

Drivers side  https://revrvparts.com/item-detail?itemId=63657&organizationId=9

Passenger side   https://revrvparts.com/item-detail?itemId=63656&organizationId=9

NWRVsupply.com has two listed but doesn't say what they are for although they look similar to the ones REV has.    http://www.nwrvsupply.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SRCH

Attached is the parts page I have, it will give you idea on everything.  You can also do some searches using the vendor part number. 

1 Wiper motor dirve assembly.pdf

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, so at the end of the day I found out that you can no longer buy the replacement arm. However, I took the working passenger arm and moved it the driver side. Arms are identical. That coupled with the five coats of RainX on the entire windshield, I am good to go tomorrow to be home in two days.

The coach is great. The Detroit diesel Series 60 motor runs great. All mechanical items are in excellent shape.

I really enjoy being a part of the Monacoers group.

Thanks to all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lee

I had the exact problem with my 05 Executive and was able to identify the problem and fix it without spending a bunch of money on needless parts.

The fix is simple, I did a complete write up on it on the old Yahoo Monacoers Forum. I do not know if it ever get moved over to this site when we changed over.

The cause of the problem is; The Pivot that the Wiper Arm is mounted on is made of hardened steel and has splines machined into the beveled surface. The Wiper Arm is made of a soft casting, (Aluminum or Pot Metal). When the Wiper Arm is installed on the Pivot and tightened the splines on the pivot will cut into the soft metal of the arm and hold it in place. Over time the Wiper Arm can loosen enough that splines on the Pivot strip the splines in the soft metal material in the arm mount and cause the Pivot to rotate inside the arm base.

The simple easy fix is to remove the Wiper Arm Assembly and take a Stainless Steel Brush and clean the soft metal out of the splines on the Pivot. Also clean up the inside of the Wiper Arm mount of any loose metal. Re-install the arm and tighten. Install an internal star lock washer between the nut and the arm base and Torque to 40-45 ft/lbs.

You may want to add to your annual check list to check the Torque of the Wiper Pivot Nuts.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Lee Smith said:

Okay, so at the end of the day I found out that you can no longer buy the replacement arm. However, I took the working passenger arm and moved it the driver side. Arms are identical. That coupled with the five coats of RainX on the entire windshield, I am good to go tomorrow to be home in two days.

The coach is great. The Detroit diesel Series 60 motor runs great. All mechanical items are in excellent shape.

I really enjoy being a part of the Monacoers group.

Thanks to all.

You may have missed my prior post.

Maybe one of these suppliers can help you.

 Windshield Wiper Parts
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, David Pratt said:

Lee

I had the exact problem with my 05 Executive and was able to identify the problem and fix it without spending a bunch of money on needless parts.

The fix is simple, I did a complete write up on it on the old Yahoo Monacoers Forum. I do not know if it ever get moved over to this site when we changed over.

The cause of the problem is; The Pivot that the Wiper Arm is mounted on is made of hardened steel and has splines machined into the beveled surface. The Wiper Arm is made of a soft casting, (Aluminum or Pot Metal). When the Wiper Arm is installed on the Pivot and tightened the splines on the pivot will cut into the soft metal of the arm and hold it in place. Over time the Wiper Arm can loosen enough that splines on the Pivot strip the splines in the soft metal material in the arm mount and cause the Pivot to rotate inside the arm base.

The simple easy fix is to remove the Wiper Arm Assembly and take a Stainless Steel Brush and clean the soft metal out of the splines on the Pivot. Also clean up the inside of the Wiper Arm mount of any loose metal. Re-install the arm and tighten. Install an internal star lock washer between the nut and the arm base and Torque to 40-45 ft/lbs.

You may want to add to your annual check list to check the Torque of the Wiper Pivot Nuts.

That is absolutely brilliant.
I am on the last 300 mile leg of my almost 4,000 mile trip. I will apply that fix as soon as I get home. Thank you very much.

3 hours ago, Paul A. said:

You may have missed my prior post.

Maybe one of these suppliers can help you.

 Windshield Wiper Parts

I did follow your advice after I submitted the last post I made. I am traveling so I am out of sync.
One of your sources, Diesel Equipment/Wiper Technologies Division was listed in my manual as the OEM. Apparently, they sold Wiper Technologies who now no longer makes the Signature Arm. However, I was able to locate a dealer for Wiper Technologies that can usually get them to custom make a complete kit [arms, motor, blades, operating mechanism] for around $650. Takes 2 to 3 weeks if they have the components in stock. Longer if not.  I am going to try David Pratt's fix-up solution above first.

Thank you for your time to help me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...