Macerator problem

Georgia Mike

I am new to having this macerator and have used it on a few trips and didn’t have any problems. Just got back from a week long trip and when I went to dump just before leaving I had a clog in the sewer hose. I shook the heck out of it trying to get it freed up but couldn’t get it to clear. When I got back home I had to disconnect the hose to get it unclogged and had quite the mess. I use Happy Camper in the black tank and never had a problem on my old Motorhome. Just wondering if there is something better to use for this type of system. I like having the macerator system bit I don’t want to go through this again.

Sounds like something other than TP was flushed down the toilet.  I have had to take my macerator apart once to clear out stuff and replace the impeller.  You may want to make sure it is clear now.  I like mine and don't like the big slinky.

I use a macerator regularly. A few months ago I switched to a product called Unique RV Digest-it. I feel like it works better at breaking down the solids  than the products I've used in the past. It handles odors well and it's septic tank safe. I think it's actually good for septic tanks.

It's available on Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07564FPHL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Luckily my 2006 Dynasty had the macerator removed. Not a big fan of macerators. I prefer the 3-inch slinky with the WHOOSH which does a much better job and quicker too. Haven't had to take apart any 3-inch sewer system to clean out clogs or bound up macerator blades, etc.

I do own a 12 VDC portable macerator just in case I am presented with a situation where it is needed but that has not happened as yet.

I like being able to use any toilet paper that I choose plus we use the flushable sanitary wipes. Also, not a big fan of having to dispose of my crappy tissues in a container so down the hatch they go.

That method works for me and been doing it that way for 18+ years without even a hint of ever having a problem. So, I will continue to do what works best.

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Thanks 1

I prefer the macerator and have been using it in this coach for 14 years with no issues except to clean the impeller and replace it every so often.  It is so nice not to deal with a dripping slinky, and having the ability to dump uphill, and have a closed system, wouldn't trade it for the world.  As to the clog in the hose, it is important that the last thing to go through that hose before packing up or storing is gray water, never just dump the black and put it away.  Always run gray through it, either by just bypassing the macerator with normal use with the gray tank open, or after dumping the black and having filled your gray, by running the gray tank down through the hose.

We only use rv toilet paper so nothing else was flushed down. I haven’t looked into replacing the impeller it might be the original one so maybe that’s the problem. I will have to see how to replace it. When I first got this Motorhome and saw this macerator system I was very skeptical about it but after using it I really like it a lot.

We use whatever toilet paper we buy with no issues.  Just make sure that at no time toilet paper is sitting in the hose when you pack up or store it.  Keep the hose clean with gray water, in that respect the same as with a slinky.

X2 on what Bill B2 comments are. We used one 10 years full timing. Impeller replacement is the only thing i did . Just as the black tank gets to empty, i would open the grey tank valve, equalizing the grey and black tank would occur, and the macerator would continue to run, i would back flush the black tank, eventually all was empty and clean. 

Dennis, a member on this site, who i have not seen a post from for some time, had an interesting occurance with his Macerator. Poor performance caused him to check the voltage at the barttery, then the macerator on / off switch, then the macerator. Huge drop in voltage. Monaco used too small of a power wire, for the distance and power required. He ran a new, "direct" power wire , and he said it performed like never before. 

On 5/1/2022 at 6:25 PM, Georgia Mike said:

I am new to having this macerator and have used it on a few trips and didn’t have any problems. Just got back from a week long trip and when I went to dump just before leaving I had a clog in the sewer hose. I shook the heck out of it trying to get it freed up but couldn’t get it to clear. When I got back home I had to disconnect the hose to get it unclogged and had quite the mess. I use Happy Camper in the black tank and never had a problem on my old Motorhome. Just wondering if there is something better to use for this type of system. I like having the macerator system bit I don’t want to go through this again.

Mike,

I've never had a clog in the macerator hose itself, but have had debris in the pump head. In fact, my first experience with this was right after we bought the coach and were still gearing up at the old Buddy Gregg in Texas. A piece of plywood from construction ended up in the black tank and buggered up the pump. Sooo glad the dealer techs got to fix that one.

It's probably helpful if you can recall what you actually removed from the hose that clogged it. That'll help confirm the advice you've already gotten about flushing, etc.

I've fiddled with mine over the years and have replaced the pump a couple of times when I thought it was getting weak. I've used both ShurFlo and FloJet pumps and they seem to be interchangeable. I have also modified the wiring. Monaco did use 10 gauge wire from the fuse at the rear run panel, but connected it to an under-rated switch. I replaced the switch and added a relay. I also pick up impeller kits when I see them on sale, and have moved to changing the impeller annually (we are on the road for 6-7 months a year and I can do this while in storage over the winters). I run a file across the leading edge of the blades while I have it apart. We use "strainer" inserts in the kitchen sinks and shower to prevent debris and hair from entering the system.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009TRSSGS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The other thing I did was remove all of the "fluff" from the original SaniCon (gray box, etc) and eliminated the flexible hose from the tank outlet to the pump (the original had started to get pinhole leaks and I used a cut off blue slinky for a few years). I cut off the pump "snout" at the threads as "stuff" was getting caught there. I started using 3"ID silicone sleeves similar to the ones used in the engine compartment instead of a flex hose. This year, I simplified the setup by eliminating the "gray water bypass" line that was always problematic. Now I have a clear straight adapter on the tank, a 3" ID silicone elbow, and the pump. Works better than ever.

All that said, I do still carry a Big Blue Stinky Slinky as backup. 😱

I’m having issues with my maserator now. I hear it running but nothing is coming out. Could that be a clog?  Just had it worked in a couple months ago and used it once before it stopped working correctly. This is in my 2006 Monaco Camelot. 

1 hour ago, GypsyJo said:

I’m having issues with my maserator now. I hear it running but nothing is coming out. Could that be a clog?  Just had it worked in a couple months ago and used it once before it stopped working correctly. This is in my 2006 Monaco Camelot. 

Occasionally I'll have to raise the 1" hose higher than the pump for a couple of seconds to prime the pump. Usually only happens when I'm pumping out low levels in my tanks.

Could be your problem.