oil bath bearings

It's been 44,000 mi/9 years since I had the oil bath bearings installed with synthetic oil. Haven't traveled the last two years. The oil level is still at the full level. Is it time to change the oil? What synthetic oil weight is recommended if additional oil is needed?

Gary 05 AMB DST

Gary,

I had the front hubs converted to oil bath hubs back in 8/2013 while living in CA. Never changed out the oil but always had it checked every year when doing the chassis PM work. If needed they would add some synthetic to bring it back to full level.

There is a variety of weights out there for gear oil. I would use a good 80/90 W Synthetic Gear Oil or whatever your local truck repair center recommends.

6 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Gary,

I had the front hubs converted to oil bath hubs back in 8/2013 while living in CA. Never changed out the oil but always had it checked every year when doing the chassis PM work. If needed they would add some synthetic to bring it back to full level.

There is a variety of weights out there for gear oil. I would use a good 80/90 W Synthetic Gear Oil or whatever your local truck repair center recommends.

Richard,

How difficult was that conversion? My current setup is sealed with bolts all around not sure how I would check these. By the way how did your trip to Josams go today? I should be in tomorrow Barry is waiting on UPS to deliver my drag link. 

I had Josam's covert my front hubs to oil bath in 2013.  It cost ~$450 at the time and they did a quick undercarriage inspection and fixed a couple minor things.  My wife actually took the rig to have it done as I was in Spain at the time.  I called and talked to the shop foreman and he said at the time to just check the oil level on a regular basis, other then that don't worry about it.  I carry a quart of the Lucas 80W90 oil but had only used a small amount in the last 8 years.

I did send an email to them this year to confirm and had the same response. 

But I decided to drain some of the oil off and top off with fresh.  So I lifted the front end up off the ground so the wheels cleared, put a 2X4 under one side, lowered the coach to tilt the axle, drained as much oil as I could, lifted and topped then repeated the other side.  This was probably futile as I only got about a pint of oil to drain out total.  Might have been able to get more if I just pulled the cover but didn't want to take a chance on the seal leaking later. 

Jim,

Bill Groves had used a turkey baster to suck whatever oil he could out through the opening then refresh with new oil. He would do that every year.

I plan to have Josam's convert the Dynasty hubs to oil next winter when we are back in Florida. I spoke with Barry today as to whether they could do it and he stated yes.

The Tag Axle already has oil hubs on each side.

Edited by Dr4Film

1 hour ago, William said:

Richard,

How difficult was that conversion? My current setup is sealed with bolts all around not sure how I would check these. By the way how did your trip to Josam's go today? I should be in tomorrow Barry is waiting on UPS to deliver my drag link. 

It wasn't difficult at all. I had Rite-Way Axle & Suspension on San Fernando Blvd in California do the deed. I don't remember what the cost was at the time, but it wasn't outrageous.

The Josam's appointment went exceptionally well today. I got two new Toyo Tires for the front axle. Plus, they also installed the Tyron Bands I had purchased at the Monacoers Gathering this past February along with a brand-new set of Balance Master's.

They checked my TRW Steering box making sure it was adjusted properly and installed a new HWH Air Compressor that I had purchased on eBay. They also checked the entire system and all of the 6-Pack valves. There found two that are leaking ever so slightly so next winter when I am back to Florida, I will have them rebuild those two valves when I have more time. I also grabbed the failed HWH Air Compressor to see if I can resurrect it back to life. I would like to find something to place over the entire compressor fixture to eliminate it getting covered with road dirt and debris.

1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

I had Josam's covert my front hubs to oil bath in 2013.  It cost ~$450 at the time and they did a quick undercarriage inspection and fixed a couple minor things.  My wife actually took the rig to have it done as I was in Spain at the time.  I called and talked to the shop foreman and he said at the time to just check the oil level on a regular basis, other then that don't worry about it.  I carry a quart of the Lucas 80W90 oil but had only used a small amount in the last 8 years.

I did send an email to them this year to confirm and had the same response. 

But I decided to drain some of the oil off and top off with fresh.  So I lifted the front end up off the ground so the wheels cleared, put a 2X4 under one side, lowered the coach to tilt the axle, drained as much oil as I could, lifted and topped then repeated the other side.  This was probably futile as I only got about a pint of oil to drain out total.  Might have been able to get more if I just pulled the cover but didn't want to take a chance on the seal leaking later. 

When I had mine done in 2013, I had a choice of oil or synthetic. I chose synthetic. Did anyone have a choice of lubricant? From what I'm reading, they may only use synthetic now since they tell you to just maintain the level, no oil change necessary.

Gary 05 AMB DST

My intent initially was to take the rig to Josam's myself but work got in the way so my wife took it.  They installed the regular oil, I called them afterwards and said I should never have to fool with it, just add the 80W90.  Confirmed that again last month. 

I figure whatever Josam's recommends is good enough for me. 

But after trying to drain my oil last week I'd recommend you stick with synthetic since you won't get all the oil out without pulling the hub, which I'd never do. 

For decades I’ve been adding a small amount of 90 weight gear oil to my many trailer bearings instead of repacking if the bearings are tight. Fill the dust cap with the oil and slap it back on. Softens the grease up but not enough to leak.

Do the same thing to the MH’s front axle bearings by taking the aluminum cover off, drilling & tapping for a 1/4” pipe plug in the center. Squeeze about half a cup of 90 weight in and put a pipe plug in. You can see with the cap off that the tapper bearings force the grease to the outside where it just sits there. Softening it up let’s it move back into the bearings.

13 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

It wasn't difficult at all. I had Rite-Way Axle & Suspension on San Fernando Blvd in California do the deed. I don't remember what the cost was at the time, but it wasn't outrageous.

The Josam's appointment went exceptionally well today. I got two new Toyo Tires for the front axle. Plus, they also installed the Tyron Bands I had purchased at the Monacoers Gathering this past February along with a brand-new set of Balance Master's.

They checked my TRW Steering box making sure it was adjusted properly and installed a new HWH Air Compressor that I had purchased on eBay. They also checked the entire system and all of the 6-Pack valves. There found two that are leaking ever so slightly so next winter when I am back to Florida, I will have them rebuild those two valves when I have more time. I also grabbed the failed HWH Air Compressor to see if I can resurrect it back to life. I would like to find something to place over the entire compressor fixture to eliminate it getting covered with road dirt and debris.

Richard, 

Sounds like a worthwhile visit you should feel much safer going down the interstate. Let me know if you can come up with something for HWH Compressor that's a great idea mine was just sitting without anything to hold it down I wondered why it made so much noise every time it kicked on (vibration) took some zip ties to strap it down as a temporary fix. 

14 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

My compressor was bolted to angle brackets. I made a aluminum box with a open top to slide over the air compressor and the brackets. I used longer bolts to hold the compressor in place and drilled 4 holes in the bottom of the box and slid it over the bolts and used washers an nuts to hold it in place. I also drilled 3 small holes in the bottom to drain any water that might happen to get in there.