Diesel Shortage

When the shop installs the CAC they are going to add rubber in between the mounts to help. This is why I'm having a OTR type core put in. And I plan on turning down my boost 5 psi. So I will see how that goes.

Tim

Edited by Tim-AZ

Here is my 2 cents worth: Your unit came with a 350hp isc. You modified it to have 50 % more HP and about 40 % more torque. Supposedly Monaco installed a rad and cache to handle the original specs. Did you change  to a larger cac? I have always maintained  that a MH is not a hot rod. It is one thing to do impovements  to the living quarters or something like battery capacity. Fooling with drive train is tricky. Truckers do this but they can easily change to a bigger rad. The transmissions can handle lots of HP. Sometimes Cummins can improve HP with software but it is a small increase and Torque usually does not change. 

Hi Bruce, I have had zero problems with temp, either the trans or engine even in hot temps (110F) My problem has been the CAC cracking-leaking. So that's why I'm doing the modes listed above.

Tim

I had a 525 ISX in a 07 Executive i did the following changes to the intake and exhaust components. I replaced the OEM air cleaner with one from AFE, which had a washable filter element and more CFM capacity, same micron spec. Next i replaced ALL the pleated intake hose with rubber fittings and aluminum tubing from intakehoses.com. That's what truckers use. Got rid of all the air friction in the intake. Next was a resonator to replace the muffler from dynaflexproducts.com. Largest MFG. of class 8 truck exhaust components in the U S A. Did not like that so i went straight pipe. . Here is a picture of the results on a screen shot of my Aladdin system. Performance was great and my average CRUISING MPG went up. I cruised at 1350-1400 RPM, 61-62 MPH.  THIS trip was turned ON when i got on the Exway entrance ramp, and turned OFF when in exited the Exway. 

2016-12-23 17.13.03.jpg

1 hour ago, Paul A. said:

I had a 525 ISX in a 07 Executive i did the following changes to the intake and exhaust components. I replaced the OEM air cleaner with one from AFE, which had a washable filter element and more CFM capacity, same micron spec. Next i replaced ALL the pleated intake hose with rubber fittings and aluminum tubing from intakehoses.com. That's what truckers use. Got rid of all the air friction in the intake. Next was a resonator to replace the muffler from dynaflexproducts.com. Largest MFG. of class 8 truck exhaust components in the U S A. Did not like that so i went straight pipe. . Here is a picture of the results on a screen shot of my Aladdin system. Performance was great and my average CRUISING MPG went up. I cruised at 1350-1400 RPM, 61-62 MPH.  THIS trip was turned ON when i got on the Exway entrance ramp, and turned OFF when in exited the Exway. 

2016-12-23 17.13.03.jpg

Superb mods. Engineers will tell you that those air cleaners are hazardous for a diesel.  Can do more harm than good.

1 hour ago, Paul A. said:

2016-12-23 17.13.03.jpg

Can you post a picture of the intake hoses or a link without using Face Book? I don't use FB. They have the Red boots like mine on there along with others. What model of hose did you use? I'm in the process of having my CAC re-cord and now would be the time to change over to them.

Tim

Edited by Tim-AZ

23 hours ago, Tim-AZ said:

Can you post a picture of the intake hoses or a link without using Face Book? I don't use FB. They have the Red boots like mine on there along with others. What model of hose did you use? I'm in the process of having my CAC re-cord and now would be the time to change over to them.

Tim

Tim; I Sold the coach in 2014. I do not have any pictures. I simply followed the existing path of the ducting from the Air Cleaner to the inlet on the upper, roadside corner of the engine compartment.  https://www.intakehoses.com/ was very helpful on the PHONE. 

I used a straight rubber fitting at the inlet end of the air cleaner, next a lenght of aluminum tubing, then a 90 degre rubber elbow, then another piece of aluminum tubing up to the coach inlet. Appropriate clamps were also purchased from intake hoses. 

This was back in 2011, and a few guys used stove pipe fittings and stove pipe to accomplish the same thing. I choose the material i used .  

Good luck with your project.

Edited by Paul A.
added info

Hello Tim-AZ,

You mention turning your boost down 5 psi.  What does your normal boost run at full throttle?

I have 2005 400 ISL which will show 30-33 psi at full throttle.  I know you have a different engine.

Any others with 400 ISL want to share their boost pressures?    Might save someone some $$$$ for a CAC replacement.

Choose to enjoy this day,  you might not get tomorrow.

John

33 minutes ago, J & Di Cooper said:

Hello Tim-AZ,

You mention turning your boost down 5 psi.  What does your normal boost run at full throttle?

I have 2005 400 ISL which will show 30-33 psi at full throttle.  I know you have a different engine.

Any others with 400 ISL want to share their boost pressures?    Might save someone some $$$$ for a CAC replacement.

Choose to enjoy this day,  you might not get tomorrow.

John

Without any leaks I get 35 psi with the Banks kit. (stock for my engine is 24 psi) After I verify everything is working as it should I'm going to adjust it down to 30psi. In hopes I won't have anymore CAC problems.

Tim

16 hours ago, Tim-AZ said:

Without any leaks I get 35 psi with the Banks kit. (stock for my engine is 24 psi) After I verify everything is working as it should I'm going to adjust it down to 30psi. In hopes I won't have anymore CAC problems.

Tim

OK, I gotta ask: what’s a CAC? What’s a RAD?

Ed            
‘05 HR Ambassador 

7 minutes ago, 6Wheels said:

CAC = Central Air Conditioning

RAD = Rare Antarctic Disease

Having trouble relating CAC with diesel shortage.

BTW, Funny one in the RAD. Haha.

ED

Actually:

CAC - Charge Air Cooler (intercooler on cars)
RAD - Radiator

5 minutes ago, nvrtoofast said:

Actually:

CAC - Charge Air Cooler (intercooler on cars)
RAD - Radiator

There we go. Thanks.

I’ve made this point before. When someone posts with an acronym please define it at least the first time. Just one of my pet peeves.

2 minutes ago, saflyer said:

There we go. Thanks.

I’ve made this point before. When someone posts with an acronym please define it at least the first time. Just one of my pet peeves.

It only gets worse in military equipment: the SLAMRAAM mounted on the HMMVWs makes a great SAM but not as good as the IAMD using the NASAMS equipment.

It is mystifying....

d6jh6xb-329d0363-c654-492e-896a-4018e1403b50.jpg

27 minutes ago, 6Wheels said:

RAD = Rare Antarctic Disease

By the way thinking about carrying this around in the back of my RV is hilarious