Jump to content

Goodyear Tire recall, a little late don't ya think??


Recommended Posts

What really stands out is the amount of effort Goodyear went to so that the records would be sealed.  Basically the settlements that they offered also bought the silence of the victims. 

Wonder how many lives would have been saved if the records weren't sealed. 

But I know this type of settlement is common in today's courts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Those aren’t the only Goodyear tires that should have been recalled. When we owned our Airstream trailer, there were many owners on the Airstream forum complaining that their Goodyear Marathon tires were separating at the tread and blowing out too.

Edited by FLynes
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Chuck B 2004 Windsor said:

Beating a dead horse?

The issue of the Goodyear tires relating to RV tires & recall has been in the news for a while >>>>  Yes

But the recall was just announced this week. 

There a number of new coach owners who may have not heard/read of this issue.  Bringing to everyone's attention is what this forum is all about.   They can make their own decision as to whether it is worthwhile or not. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

The issue of the Goodyear tires relating to RV tires & recall has been in the news for a while >>>>  Yes

But the recall was just announced this week. 

There a number of new coach owners who may have not heard/read of this issue.  Bringing to everyone's attention is what this forum is all about.   They can make their own decision as to whether it is worthwhile or not. 

What is FASCINATING.....and I followed this starting in 2009 and got rid of mine.  I THINK that we were having blowouts with the G670 tires...The 159 tire did not ring a bell.  Frank and Chuck and Dave are Richard....and others are some of the original members....maybe they can scan their memory banks or have some info.  Here is what I have, which is a 2008 publication.....

NOTE the only 295/80 22.5 is a G670....  The 159 may have been the forerunner....but many of us decided that there was bad DNA in the tires....and YES, there were many deaths and damages.  We had one where an Ex fighter pilot....who was an airline captain trained himself and had one go.  That was one of the last...so I THINK it was the 670....and not the 159....but one needs more than my "memory"

 

Goodyear RV Tire Guide.pdf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had Firestones on my Class C and had 3 tread separations.  At the time Firestone only had recalls on passenger tires. 

Luckily the first one that peeled off I was driving, we were at Highway speed.   Luckily I kept it in the road.  The other two we could feel them starting to come loose, these two happen on the same trip as we were trying to find a place to get new tires.  We made it to a tire shop and had all 6 tires replaced.  We were lucky, others probably weren't BUT Firestone never did have a recall on the RV tires even though they had the same type of failures as the passenger tires. 

Maybe I should have called Morgan and Morgan. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jacwjames said:

I had Firestones on my Class C and had 3 tread separations.  At the time Firestone only had recalls on passenger tires. 

Luckily the first one that peeled off I was driving, we were at Highway speed.   Luckily I kept it in the road.  The other two we could feel them starting to come loose, these two happen on the same trip as we were trying to find a place to get new tires.  We made it to a tire shop and had all 6 tires replaced.  We were lucky, others probably weren't BUT Firestone never did have a recall on the RV tires even though they had the same type of failures as the passenger tires. 

Maybe I should have called Morgan and Morgan. 

I remember the passenger tire issue, Firestone passed the buck to Ford, saying the tire inflation decal on the vehicles was wrong. Calling Morgan & Morgan only gets them richer. I just completed a 3-1/2 year litigation, after being rear-ended in my Corvette Z06. The settlement was $100,000 and I ended up with $33,000 when all was said and done.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, FLynes said:

Those aren’t the only Goodyear tires that should have been recalled. When we owned our Airstream trailer, there were many owners on the Airstream forum complaining that their Goodyear Marathon tires were separating at the tread and blowing out too.

Those tires came new on my enclosed race trailer.  Two of them blew within the first 5 years, and did significant damage to my trailer in the process.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Goodyear 275's as mentioned were standard equipment on all Monaco brand built coaches in the early to mid 2000's. My 05 came with them and while I didn't have any blow outs they rivered terribly. I ended up junking them after 3 years as I lost faith in them and the rivering was horrible.

In about 2015 I was on my way to a 419 MS. Up ahead of me was an Imperial with brand new Goodyears. He was cruising along at about 62 mph when he had a double steer tire blow up. He ended up in the ditch. The tires had less then 1,000 miles on them.

I wouldn't run Goodyear's even if they were given to me.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, throgmartin said:

The Goodyear 275's as mentioned were standard equipment on all Monaco brand built coaches in the early to mid 2000's. My 05 came with them and while I didn't have any blow outs they rivered terribly. I ended up junking them after 3 years as I lost faith in them and the rivering was horrible.

In about 2015 I was on my way to a 419 MS. Up ahead of me was an Imperial with brand new Goodyears. He was cruising along at about 62 mph when he had a double steer tire blow up. He ended up in the ditch. The tires had less then 1,000 miles on them.

I wouldn't run Goodyear's even if they were given to me.

Our ‘05 LaPalma came with Michelin XRV 235/80-22.5 new, and it’s what I’m having installed next Thursday, to replace the wrong size Constellations, made by Alliance Tire Group, that the previous owner put on. I agree with you, no way no how could anyone ever pay me to put Goodyears on our coach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, FLynes said:

Our ‘05 LaPalma came with Michelin XRV 235/80-22.5 new, and it’s what I’m having installed next Thursday, to replace the wrong size Constellations, made by Alliance Tire Group, that the previous owner put on. I agree with you, no way no how could anyone ever pay me to put Goodyears on our coach.

On the Class C that I mentioned in a previous post that had tire failures I wanted to install the "Best" so spent the money on a set of 6 MIchelins.  The performed great and road great but unfortunately after 4 years they weather cracked so badly that I was afraid to drive with them on so had them replaced with as set of Bridgestone. 

When I replaced the Goodyear on my current coach I went with Bridgestone.  They were great, since we  didn't use the coach for an extended period of time while building our house and Covid they were +10 years old when I changed them last year.  The still looked great, looked like new inside and out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

On the Class C that I mentioned in a previous post that had tire failures I wanted to install the "Best" so spent the money on a set of 6 MIchelins.  The performed great and road great but unfortunately after 4 years they weather cracked so badly that I was afraid to drive with them on so had them replaced with as set of Bridgestone. 

When I replaced the Goodyear on my current coach I went with Bridgestone.  They were great, since we  didn't use the coach for an extended period of time while building our house and Covid they were +10 years old when I changed them last year.  The still looked great, looked like new inside and out. 

Call me paranoid but, with all the horror stories I’ve heard and seen concerning RV tires, I replace them every five years. I also use 303 Aerospace Protectant on the tires, to try and help with preventing sidewall check cracks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most all tire manufacturers recommend not using any protectant on their tires.  They recommend running the tires on a 50 mile trip at least once a month.  I recommend every 2 weeks.  The run exercises the entire tire, not just the outside sidewall.  During the run, you can also run the genset to exercise it.  If you choose to cover the tires to keep the sunlight off them, a cover that is mounted to the outside of the wheel well opening is recommended instead of just covering the tire.  That way the tire can breathe and not sweat in hot temps. 

The only 2 tire manufacturers Coachnet recommends is Goodyear and Michelin. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, throgmartin said:

The Goodyear 275's as mentioned were standard equipment on all Monaco brand built coaches in the early to mid 2000's. My 05 came with them and while I didn't have any blow outs they rivered terribly. I ended up junking them after 3 years as I lost faith in them and the rivering was horrible.

In about 2015 I was on my way to a 419 MS. Up ahead of me was an Imperial with brand new Goodyears. He was cruising along at about 62 mph when he had a double steer tire blow up. He ended up in the ditch. The tires had less then 1,000 miles on them.

I wouldn't run Goodyear's even if they were given to me.

If one does not weigh their coach to find the recommended cold tire pressure and maintain that pressure, then unusual tire wear and blow out can happen.  Add to that tire balance.  I always checked my tires while they were cold the morning before traveling.  I also found out that if the tires were exposed to the sun that morning had a higher tire pressure than the cold tires on the other side of the coach.  

What about front end alignment?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, throgmartin said:

The Goodyear 275's as mentioned were standard equipment on all Monaco brand built coaches in the early to mid 2000's.

I think all the upper end coaches of that era came with 295 / 80 / 22.5 tires,  my 03 Windsor did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

I think all the upper end coaches of that era came with 295 / 80 / 22.5 tires,  my 03 Windsor did.

Ray, you are correct. The upper end Monaco's came on 295's.  What I meant to say is all Monaco brand coaches in the Diplomat/Endeavor lines as well as the Knight Ambassadors came on 275's.

Many of us with 275's have went to 295's. I know I did on the very first tire change out. I always felt the 275's were marginal on the Dip's and Endeavors as well as the Knights and Ambassadors. I wanted some extra safety margin with the 295'sand will never come close to overloading them. I also can run a little less air pressure which gives me a more comfortable ride. In as far as tire clearance issues, I have had none going to the 295's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Never mind the fact that they would be overkill, with ours being on a Workhorse chassis, would 295's even fit the LaPalma?

 

Edited by FLynes
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...