What did this connector go to?

I'm in the process of getting rid of extraneous wires in the A/V cabinets and found two wires with connectors that I know aren't original to the coach. This is more curiosity than anything else. I know that the previous owners probably used the blue connector to plug into the TV...I found the other end in the TV cabinet...and use it as a monitor for their computer. I'm guessing the green connector was also for a computer, but what was its purpose? I've looked online but am coming up empty on anything that fits the bill. The other end of the green connector terminates on the roof with a gray 9-pin that's tied together with the satellite coax cables.

IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_1017.jpg

Edited by FLynes

The blue one is a standard VGA connector, in other words (as you've already figured out) it's an old video cable.  Used to be real common to connect computers/laptops to monitors.  It's been replaced as the standard a couple times over now though.

47 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

Perhaps. I almost wonder if it was a prehistoric satellite modem cable.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mike Farquharson said:

Hi did your coach come with a monostat sattelite dish ?

I have no idea. When we bought it, there was nothing on the roof, just four coax cables and the other end of that green connector. Whatever was there, though, was pretty big, because the screws are still in place on the roof. Here are the pictures.

B5E606A1-12EE-4843-A54E-38ADAEC20740.jpeg

99C0BD68-E8A3-4083-841D-D6121D7264B2.jpeg

I still have a plug similar to the green one. It goes into the box that is the actual brain to my satellite dish. The "brain" needs to send the signals for seeking/up/down etc. It also carries the power to the dish.  Those signals cannot travel through coax cable. Coax is just for the actual signals retrieved from the LNBs on the dish. 

Ken

• Like 1

Based on the roof cables it most certainly was some sort of satellite control. 

The other of course as stated is for using an external computer monitor.

I still use these in places today. Old school for sure. 

I have a RF Mogul satellite antenna which has similar wiring coming to the inside box.  Not sure of the roof wiring which is covered.  I would say your wiring is from a satellite antenna installation.  The wire would be useful, but the connectors are probably no longer used.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

BINGO!  Thank you, Larry.  I watched the video of an RF Mogul system being installed and they were replacing a MotoSAT system.  There it was......those screws were for mounting RAILS, and that 9 pin connector is clearly the power connector for the MotoSAT controller inside the coach.  Grampy OG was spot on!  Look at page 58 of the J1 MotoSAT installation manual.  Clear as a bell - 9 pin connector and all.

So, you had a MotoSAT, and someone removed it.  Mystery solved.  Next!  LOL

Edited by CorinthWest
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2022 at 7:30 PM, FLynes said:

I'm in the process of getting rid of extraneous wires in the A/V cabinets and found two wires with connectors that I know aren't original to the coach. This is more curiosity than anything else. I know that the previous owners probably used the blue connector to plug into the TV...I found the other end in the TV cabinet...and use it as a monitor for their computer. I'm guessing the green connector was also for a computer, but what was its purpose? I've looked online but am coming up empty on anything that fits the bill. The other end of the green connector terminates on the roof with a gray 9-pin that's tied together with the satellite coax cables.

IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_1017.jpg

I do not understand the need to get rid of wires and connectors that are just laying in a location.  Sometimes it's best to let a "sleeping dog" lie.

1 hour ago, Chuck B 2004 Windsor said:

I do not understand the need to get rid of wires and connectors that are just laying in a location.  Sometimes it's best to let a "sleeping dog" lie.

EDIT UPDATE….

Did not get through all the prior posts.  My recommendation would be to go to Lowes or HD and find a 4” X 4” weather proof box or maybe 2 or one where you can bundle up the cables in.  I would not try to push the roof top Cables down….unless you see where the caulking is and can easily put the box , with a hole in the back, over the hole.  Then I would caulk the back of box (DiCor EPD Lap sealant works well) and maybe a screw or two.  Than seal the box and put on the cover.  That way, I’d anyone wants a satellite dish, you have the coax. It can be used as a “fish” to pull new wires.  The connector on the roof might be salvaged as you have the other end downstairs.  But, we each have our own way of doing it.  Read on.  The more professional and do it the right way, the better…

it is YOUR MH. The resale value or appeal to the next owner would be, for me, less if there were dangling wires.  A more professional approach.  String tag each, as you identify them.  That has more appeal.  There are CD changer, auxiliary brake, CB, video inputs to your up front monitor and maybe more “unlabeled”, but discernible and identifiable other connectors.  Leaving them in place and labeling, if you know, might be a better option…rather than cutting off and shoving them back.  We have way too many folks that spend countless hours and extra $$ to find them for upgrades….my opinion….and your MH…

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chuck B 2004 Windsor said:

Because I'm OCD as hell, and I don't like having wires that go to nothing/serve no more purpose just laying around looking ugly and taking up space.

Neat and tidy, as JD said.

5 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

EDIT UPDATE….

Did not get through all the prior posts.  My recommendation would be to go to Lowes or HD and find a 4” X 4” weather proof box or maybe 2 or one where you can bundle up the cables in.  I would not try to push the roof top Cables down….unless you see where the caulking is and can easily put the box , with a hole in the back, over the hole.  Then I would caulk the back of box (DiCor EPD Lap sealant works well) and maybe a screw or two.  Than seal the box and put on the cover.  That way, I’d anyone wants a satellite dish, you have the coax. It can be used as a “fish” to pull new wires.  The connector on the roof might be salvaged as you have the other end downstairs.  But, we each have our own way of doing it.  Read on.  The more professional and do it the right way, the better…

it is YOUR MH. The resale value or appeal to the next owner would be, for me, less if there were dangling wires.  A more professional approach.  String tag each, as you identify them.  That has more appeal.  There are CD changer, auxiliary brake, CB, video inputs to your up front monitor and maybe more “unlabeled”, but discernible and identifiable other connectors.  Leaving them in place and labeling, if you know, might be a better option…rather than cutting off and shoving them back.  We have way too many folks that spend countless hours and extra $$ to find them for upgrades….my opinion….and your MH…

You should have read everything then. I'm not removing the satellite coax, I'm removing the data cable for an old, obsolete system that serves zero purpose. I have a Dish King Tailgater that I'm installing, so the coax still serves a purpose. As for the CD changer, auxiliary brake, CB, etc, I never once mentioned I was getting rid of any wire behind my dash.

While I appreciate the input, reading the entire thread will save you the trouble and effort to type out an irrelevant answer.

Edited by FLynes