Awing very slow to retract

The main Awning on my 01 Monaco Dynasty Jack goes out great, but retracts very slow and when it gets to the aluminum shield we have to give it a little help to finish roll up. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

Try lubricating all the arm joints. Not too sure you can lube the motor assembly. If the motor is bad, they’re very expensive to replace. You also may need to do some adjustments on the arms. There could be some binding going on.  Also make sure the fabric is rolling up evenly. YouTube has some videos on Girard awnings. 
I had one on my 2000 40’ Dynasty. Always something to fix.  Big gust of wind came up suddenly and broke an arm and the gears in the motor. Ripped the fabric too. Took the whole thing off. Would have cost at least $1000 to repair. Decided if I want to sit in the shade, I could sit in the shady side of the MH. Also about 200lbs. less to haul everywhere. 
Good luck in your trouble shooting. 81C8AC71-ED71-481E-ACB3-D0198E858F03.thumb.jpeg.248e1c6cc12eb4d692ad43c6df18c4e9.jpeg

Edited by Fasthobie16
Added info.

10 hours ago, sg47619 said:

The main Awning on my 01 Monaco Dynasty Jack goes out great, but retracts very slow and when it gets to the aluminum shield we have to give it a little help to finish roll up. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

Do you know what make/model of awning to you have?

I have a Carefree of Colorado One-Touch.  When I first bought the coach I'd periodically have a problem and could solve it by disconnecting the awning power at the bayonet twist lock type connector.  The connector relies on small contacts and I think over time they would become corroded.  By removing and reconnecting it would solve my problem for a while.

Back in ~2015 we had let the awning out about 2' to shade the windows in the evening.  That night a bad thunderstorm came up and the wind was catching the awning, tried to bring it in with button>>>>NOPE, actually had to crawl up on the roof in the middle of the storm and disconnect/reconnect the awning and it came in.

ENOUGH of that, I was gong to replace the connector but CareFree discontinued the part.  I called their customer support and asked what they recommended.  They said on new installs they do not use the connector at all, just hard wire it and caulk the hole where the power comes through the side wall. 

I got creative, I removed the connector and base.  Drilled out the center large enough so I could pull the wires through.  I then used a 2 part butt type connector that I could plug the two wires together with.  I then used some rubber tape to make a tapered plug that fit in the outer portion and when I put the outer back on it compressed and sealed it, I did put some caulk on the wire where it went into the connector. 

I have not had another problem with my awning since then, works everytime I press the button and moves much faster.         

Here's a picture of the connector loacted under the awning towards the front

Awning Connector.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

I have a Carefree of Colorado One-Touch.  When I first bought the coach I'd periodically have a problem and could solve it by disconnecting the awning power at the bayonet twist lock type connector.  The connector relies on small contacts and I think over time they would become corroded.  By removing and reconnecting it would solve my problem for a while.

Back in ~2015 we had let the awning out about 2' to shade the windows in the evening.  That night a bad thunderstorm came up and the wind was catching the awning, tried to bring it in with button>>>>NOPE, actually had to crawl up on the roof in the middle of the storm and disconnect/reconnect the awning and it came in.

ENOUGH of that, I was gong to replace the connector but CareFree discontinued the part.  I called their customer support and asked what they recommended.  They said on new installs they do not use the connector at all, just hard wire it and caulk the hole where the power comes through the side wall. 

I got creative, I removed the connector and base.  Drilled out the center large enough so I could pull the wires through.  I then used a 2 part butt type connector that I could plug the two wires together with.  I then used some rubber tape to make a tapered plug that fit in the outer portion and when I put the outer back on it compressed and sealed it, I did put some caulk on the wire where it went into the connector. 

I have not had another problem with my awning since then, works everytime I press the button and moves much faster.         

Awning Connector.jpg

I also took mine a part and the metal connectors were rusty I cleaned them up and put it back with some electric grease put it didn’t help. I will try your route and see what happens. Thanks. 

4 hours ago, jacwjames said:

Awning Connector.jpg

I hardwired mine today and it didn’t make any difference in the speed of retracting. I guess I have a weak motor.  

2 hours ago, jacwjames said:

I used the male/female connector and put male and female on one side so I could keep track of polarity.  May not make any difference since it's reversible. 

2 minutes ago, sg47619 said:

I hardwired mine today and it didn’t make any difference in the speed of retracting. I guess I have a weak motor.  

Mine is a carefree one touch the number on the arm is. SP 1026-M

43 minutes ago, sg47619 said:

Mine is a carefree one touch the number on the arm is. SP 1026-M

Only other thing you could try to test it is wire a battery directly to the motor bypassing the control/switch.  If it's still slow then it could be the motor.   I believe there are connection on the motor shroud to connect an external power source to. 

2 hours ago, jacwjames said:

I looked in my files and did a search on the net and did not find a replacement motor number. 

So if you confirm it is your motor get whatever information is on it and post, maybe collectively we'll be able to find a replacement.

Tomorrow I’m going to put 12V directly to the motor through the case and see how that works if it’s slow that way I’ll take it apart and see if there’s a number on it. Thanks for helping. 

Steven,

Usually these have a coiled spring on the opposite end of the motor to help assist in the retraction.  It may need adjustment, but be sure to find out what type of awning you have and find out the process (manual or online) to adjust the spring.  These springs can be extremely strong when completely extended, so take caution in how to lock the spring in place to make the adjustments.

1 hour ago, Bill R said:

Steven,

Usually these have a coiled spring on the opposite end of the motor to help assist in the retraction.  It may need adjustment, but be sure to find out what type of awning you have and find out the process (manual or online) to adjust the spring.  These springs can be extremely strong when completely extended, so take caution in how to lock the spring in place to make the adjustments.

I didn’t know that. It’s a carefree one touch Awing on my 01 Monaco Dynasty I looked on line but couldn’t come up with anything. I may try to call them Monday and see what they think. 
Thanks for the info. 

15 minutes ago, Bill R said:

Carefree may not use a torsion spring like my Dometic power awning.

Ok. I’ll check with them on Monday 

23 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

I looked in a parts sheet and it doesn't show any type of torsion spring, but it wouldn't hurt to check. 

I’ve been looking for an online manual and can’t come up with one. I guess it’s to old. 

34 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Here is a copy of the manual but it doesn't show parts. 

Carefree patio awning one touch.pdf 1.28 MB · 1 download

Think you so much this will be very helpful whe I start on it in the morning.  I’m going to use my jumper pack to run the motor and see how it rolls in. 

12 hours ago, sg47619 said:

I didn’t know that. It’s a carefree one touch Awing on my 01 Monaco Dynasty I looked on line but couldn’t come up with anything. I may try to call them Monday and see what they think. 
Thanks for the info. 

Don't bother. Just went through that. Putting on a new awning, ins. Claim. They sold all the leftover inventory to someone back east and he doesn't have much left. 

It helps everyone if the OP includes all the correct info about the component that they are having an issue with, which is a requirement on this Forum, IE., year, manufacturer, model of the Coach and the manufacturer/model of the component they are having an issue with and are requesting help for. Then those of us  on the Forum with the knowledge, expertise about that component or issue can help without shooting from the hip as is done in so many of the posts. If the OP does not take the time to provide this information you are going to get a lot bad and costly information and it will take up a lot of unnecessary and valuable band width. I read and follow every post everyday and many times the OP is asked what the component is and is totally ignored.

The Carefree and the Girard Patio awnings operate pretty much on the same principal and are similar in design. neither awning has a spring installed to help it retract, the motor has to do all the work It takes less power from the motor to Extend the Awning than it does to Retract the Awning. when it retracts the awning the mechanisms that help extend the awning are working against the motor, so if the motor is struggling to retract the awning, either there is a current deficiency or the motor is failing. Maintenance is another major issue and if all of the moving components are not cleaned and lubricated at least Annually they will over time get dirty and corrosion will build up causing them to bind up when the awning is extended or retracted.

Their have been countless posts and information on awnings on this Form and if you do a search you can find and follow most of them.

Also Chris Throgmartin, who owns Talon and Stonevos is the go to guy with any awning issues. His company's are also Certified and Approved dealers for Carefree, Girard, Dometic and ZipDee awning and parts.

12 hours ago, sg47619 said:

Think you so much this will be very helpful whe I start on it in the morning.  I’m going to use my jumper pack to run the motor and see how it rolls in. 

So I hooked my jumper pack to the fittings on the Awing unhooked it from the control module and it rolled up in 23 seconds. 
I them hooked it all back up and tested the voltage on the motor while trying to retract it. It only reads between 8.4 and 8.7 volts. 
looking to see why the power drops so much now.  

2 hours ago, Bob Schmeckpeper said:

Don't bother. Just went through that. Putting on a new awning, ins. Claim. They sold all the leftover inventory to someone back east and he doesn't have much left. 

Thanks for the info.

4 minutes ago, sg47619 said:

So I hooked my jumper pack to the fittings on the Awing unhooked it from the control module and it rolled up in 23 seconds. 
I them hooked it all back up and tested the voltage on the motor while trying to retract it. It only reads between 8.4 and 8.7 volts. 

Ditto to Pratt's comments. An aside, from many cases of a "BAD AWNING" in the Camelots. Monaco was NOTORIOUS for undersized wiring. The stock, not upgraded, OEM Awning is a slide mounted one that has driven folks crazy. The wiring is one or two sizes too small. Folks have put in motors and the new ones....work for awhile...then the lower voltage causes issues. 

You MAY NOT HAVE THE SAME ISSUE. If you are bored....then read my latest post about "2009 Camelot AC not working".  It is a treatisie on "PROPER VOLTAGE.

You MUST find the source...of the other end of the Awning Power cable or wire. THEN start going backwards.  If you find that "feeder" connection point, then Cycle the awning.  Test the Voltage (to ground) at each end...the motor and the feeder cable end. You CAN, put your VOM across the Motor lead end and the Other END (feeder). If you get more than a 0.02 VDC (Digital) drop...you have either a terminal or a wire issue. Tug on the leads...Butt Connections were always a source of Monaco's wiring issues.

If you don't have GOOD Feed VDC...keep going backwards.  Relays (maybe not used) or whatever or high resistant connections. Low Voltage will kick up the AMPS....Ohm' or Kirchoff's (memory from EE College classes) Laws prevail. Motors will BURN up when you have to "OVER AMP THEM" to make them work. 

Good Luck.

11 minutes ago, sg47619 said:

Well, I guess that's good and bad, you know you motor is good. 

My control module for the Carefree awning is under the dash, I can remove the control button lock out assembly and gain access but not much room.  I'd check the voltage coming to the control module and the ground there.  I believe I have a fuse in my bedroom 12 volt panel that controls the awning, you might check voltage there if you have one.

I looked on my wiring diagram, there is a 15 amp fuse in the 12 volt distribution panel in my bedroom.  14 awg wire,  Same circuit as the toilet. 

14 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

My control module for the Carefree awning is under the dash, I can remove the control button lock out assembly and gain access but not much room.  I'd check the voltage coming to the control module and the ground there.  I believe I have a fuse in my bedroom 12 volt panel that controls the awning, you might check voltage there if you have one.

I looked on my wiring diagram, there is a 15 amp fuse in the 12 volt distribution panel in my bedroom.  14 awg wire,  Same circuit as the toilet. 

So the good or bad or the ugly the guy I got it from was having trouble with it and he has cut and spliced wires in the upper cabinet where the awning wires and module is located. He has spliced the awning wire in to the radio, front fans, front window screens circuit. Looking for the original source for the module now. 😭🥲🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, sg47619 said:

So the good or bad or the ugly the guy I got it from was having trouble with it and he has cut and spliced wires in the upper cabinet where the awning wires and module is located. He has spliced the awning wire in to the radio, front fans, front window screens circuit. Looking for the original source for the module now. 😭🥲🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

Well I hooked my battery pack to the control module hot wire and ground and it still will not come in with out help. Would that mean the module is bad in some way?