Natural Cherry Stain - On the Shelf or Custom Match?

I've pulled the dinette from our 2009 Dynasty and need to make a small panel to cover up the wiring running along the floor next to the wall.   Anyone found a good over the counter stain that matches the "Natural Cherry"  color woodwork in a Monaco?

Thanks!

Guest Ray Davis

Chuck is right,  it depends on what kind of wood you are staining.   Our Windsor has cherry wood, I suppose your Dynasty does too. 

I found that Cherry wood will stain it's self ( darken )    Left unstained mine matched the rest of the wood in a short while.  I read that somewhere and it's true.   I don't believe Monaco used stain, I may be wrong about that though.

Anyway, when I did need some stain I bough mine at Lowes, and as I recall it was Gun Stock.  I bought 3 small cans that looked close and Gun Stock won the contest.        A little goes a long way so buy small.

Edited by Ray Davis

Thanks for the info and feedback.  Yes, the coach wood work is cherry, and its called "Natural Cherry" on the build sheet.  It's either very lightly stained or just a clear finish, just not sure. 

I'm planning on using poplar wood, as I haven't found a source of reasonably priced cherry wood and it's an out of the way spot that won't be noticeable if it doesn't match exactly. 

11 minutes ago, LakeBob said:

Thanks for the info and feedback.  Yes, the coach wood work is cherry, and its called "Natural Cherry" on the build sheet.  It's either very lightly stained or just a clear finish, just not sure. 

I'm planning on using poplar wood, as I haven't found a source of reasonably priced cherry wood and it's an out of the way spot that won't be noticeable if it doesn't match exactly. 

The bitterness of a poor choice remain long after the sweetness of making that choice.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

You might check Craigslist in your area.  In E TN there are numerous adds for different types of wood, usually at a reasonable price.  IMHO it would be worth the effort to find a source.  

I was lucky and was able to harvest ~+5000 bd ft of lumber off my proper while I was clearing and building my house (Ash, Cherry, Oak, Walnut, Sassafras, Cedar, Elm)  Used a bunch on the house, still have quite a bit left.  

43 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

Anyway, when I did need some stain I bough mine at Lowes, and as I recall it was Gun Stock.  I bought 3 small cans that looked close and Gun Stock won the contest.        A little goes a long way so buy small.

Hmm!

I installed Gunstock oak hardwood in my home, and it is a fair bit darker than the cherrywood in my coach.

Guest RDGreenlief

I did a remodel on our 2003 Windsor with cherry wood cabinets about three years ago.  Used the dinette to contruct a concealed entertainment center with cherry wood top.  Used Minwax stain on the top and was very please with the match.  https://www.amazon.com/Minwax-70009444-Finish-Penetrating-Cherry/dp/B000BZX5M4/ref=asc_df_B000BZX5M4/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198071503086&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9715979298607204330&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9022304&hvtargid=pla-353531776932&psc=1  Then used a gloss poly urethane covering.

RD Greenlief

18 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

You might check Craigslist in your area.  In E TN there are numerous adds for different types of wood, usually at a reasonable price.  IMHO it would be worth the effort to find a source.  

I was lucky and was able to harvest ~+5000 bd ft of lumber off my proper while I was clearing and building my house (Ash, Cherry, Oak, Walnut, Sassafras, Cedar, Elm)  Used a bunch on the house, still have quite a bit left.  

Thanks, I'll check out Craigslist. 

I had replaced the 400lb tube TV in the front,I put a piece of smooth finished plywood and stained it with Old Master penetrating stain,Cherry c40304 , then mounted the 6 lb flat screen to it,it matched up perfect with the rest of the wood.Probably picked up a few miles per gallon after throwing both tube TV out.

Wayne 

1999 Signature ceaser 

Guest Ray Davis
4 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

Hmm!

I installed Gunstock oak hardwood in my home, and it is a fair bit darker than the cherrywood in my coach.

Well there you go, you never know.  I imagine my gunstock stain might be dark on some wood, I don't know, but I thought oak was usually light in color and slow to stain.

But, that's why my DW picks colors for me.  I have to pass inspection before going out.  😁

4 hours ago, WayneC said:

I had replaced the 400lb tube TV in the front,I put a piece of smooth finished plywood and stained it with Old Master penetrating stain,Cherry c40304 , then mounted the 6 lb flat screen to it,it matched up perfect with the rest of the wood.Probably picked up a few miles per gallon after throwing both tube TV out.

Wayne 

1999 Signature ceaser 

Thanks Wayne!

Stain

Strange color choice I know but this seems to match my Cherry very closely. I have added several large panels and this has been the best so far. 

Taking out my love seat, built in a Dishwasher, slide out trash can, slide out pantry, and slide out storage for large mixer and accessories.

The wood grain is not as good of a match as I would like but it works. I didn't have my old workshop to do cabinetry level work. My excuse and I am sticking to it.

Had plans to do a better countertop but the existing one has worked for about three years now. I guess we are just used to it. 

Guest Ray Davis
1 hour ago, myrontruex said:

Stain

Strange color choice I know but this seems to match my Cherry very closely. I have added several large panels and this has been the best so far. 

Taking out my love seat, built in a Dishwasher, slide out trash can, slide out pantry, and slide out storage for large mixer and accessories.

The wood grain is not as good of a match as I would like but it works. I didn't have my old workshop to do cabinetry level work. My excuse and I am sticking to it.

Had plans to do a better countertop but the existing one has worked for about three years now. I guess we are just used to it. 

Ah ha,  Gunstock again,  that's what I used.   Goes to show, you can't go by the name,  you gotta experiment and put some eyes on it.