TSD Fuel Card

1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

There is a big inconvenience using a CC, there are usually limits at the pump as to how much you can pump and/or how many times you can swipe a card. 

For me having options is a big draw on setting up either TSD or Mudflap, plus the quicker fill time. 

1 hour ago, birdshill123 said:

TSD has improved. More Loves listed and Maverick. There used to be many areas in the SW where TSD had no locations. I refuse to use any card that requires me to go inside and stand in line.

“Go inside and stand in line”. Twice!

And another gripe. I am convinced some convenience store chains don’t keep their pump printers stocked with paper or in operating condition so the customer has to go inside for a receipt increasing the chance they will buy something. If that happens to me twice at a location I don’t get gas there anymore.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Georgia Mike said:

A few years ago I pulled into a major truck stop and there wasn’t clear signage as to which way to go. I made a split second decision and went the wrong way into a dead end. I had to disconnect the car and had a heck of time getting out of there. From then on I always look at google maps to make sure I know the layout so it’s familiar to me when I get there.

Probably that new TA at Vero Beach...I did that and ended up at the shop.   Fortunately empty an the guys let me drive through.  Not well marked.  😬

FYI,

I went on line last week and signed up for both the Mudflap and TSD cards.

Part of TSD card requires you to link it to a bank account so that they can test auto pay function.  This took several days as they first do a deposit of two amounts, in my case $0.01 & $0.28.  Then they request that you acknowledge you recieved, another couple days.  Then they do a $0.29 withdrawal.  That gets you to the point where you can actually complete the application and they sent me a card.  I received it today and had to send an email request for it to be activated.  Once activated they assign it to the app, took a couple tries to get this done.  Finally shut off the phone and turned it back on it was on the app. 

All was pretty seamless. 

I'll take the coach for a drive next week and fill up at the nearest station about 20 miles away. 

Price at Sam's today was $3.45 so $3.27 with 5% card rebate.  Price at $3.67 posted, $3.23 with TSD plus fees.  Pretty close but could be a benefit depending on access and how far off the interstate either the Sam's or truck stop is and the speed of the fueling. 

Although the TSD card can save you money there are some problems.  If you preplan your routes and fuel stops the night before be aware that prices may change overnight. I do not know when TSD changes the prices in the app. Twice I have been gouged by Loves. Ended up paying more than the pump price as a particular Loves was no longer on the list. TA appears to be more stable. I do like that Maverick has been added to the available list.It is a shame that Flying J is a no go. This is due to Good Sam complaining. The Oracle of Omaha should pick his associates carefully.

In the past I would look for general area to get fuel, using GasBuddy.com I would find areas of lower prices and then as I'm driving decide which station has the easiest access and best price. 

When I'm driving to get from point A to point B I'll usually find a place to boon dock.  +50% of the time it will be a Walmart or Sam's and they usually have good prices.  On my last trip I stopped in Sulphur Springs TX which had a fuel station.  I didn't even try to fill up when I pulled in, way too crowded.  But in the AM I was up before the station opened and waited.  As soon as I saw people fueling I took advantage of the access and was able to easily get in and fuel.  Would not have been able to do that during rush hour. 

So having the flexibility of using either TSD or Mudflap will be nice and overall the prices look pretty good but I did notice that some station have as little as a $0.05 discount, needless to say my Sam's CC will be the best option. 

Been following this and just wanted to add our 2 cents.  We've used Open Roads exclusively the last 5 years; fueling primarily at Loves due to the easy in/easy out for our 40' rig.  We typically and regularly save, after transaction fees/"other pounds of flesh" 🙂 between 15-20% off the posted pump price.  Just this morning got our Settlement record and verified 20.4% difference for a fuel stop in Northern Alabama.  We got 45 gals/$196 pump price, price & I paid was $158.  It is just one less thing to worry about for us. As with all things-YMMV.  

On 4/26/2024 at 3:17 PM, jacwjames said:

FYI,

I went on line last week and signed up for both the Mudflap and TSD cards.

Part of TSD card requires you to link it to a bank account so that they can test auto pay function.  This took several days as they first do a deposit of two amounts, in my case $0.01 & $0.28.  Then they request that you acknowledge you recieved, another couple days.  Then they do a $0.29 withdrawal.  That gets you to the point where you can actually complete the application and they sent me a card.  I received it today and had to send an email request for it to be activated.  Once activated they assign it to the app, took a couple tries to get this done.  Finally shut off the phone and turned it back on it was on the app. 

All was pretty seamless. 

I'll take the coach for a drive next week and fill up at the nearest station about 20 miles away. 

Price at Sam's today was $3.45 so $3.27 with 5% card rebate.  Price at $3.67 posted, $3.23 with TSD plus fees.  Pretty close but could be a benefit depending on access and how far off the interstate either the Sam's or truck stop is and the speed of the fueling. 

Yeah that’s the big plus with the TSD is the diesel fuel lanes. I have Mudflap never used it yet. Never a problem with TSD except a small learning curve on how to use it. There are quite a few YouTube videos on how to do it. They are good about getting back to you if you have any concerns or questions.