TSD Fuel Card

5 hours ago, jacwjames said:

That is why I avoided TSD is they want access to bank account which in today's cyber world isn't appealing to me. 

I have TSD and was worried about this too. I created a fuel account that TSD is tied to.  I move $ in when needed to only keep a small amount in case of hacking.  Never had an issue. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Steven P said:

I have TSD and was worried about this too. I created a fuel account that TSD is tied to.  I move $ in when needed to only keep a small amount in case of hacking.  Never had an issue. 

Ditto. I had a free checking account with my brokerage. Never used it so I dedicated it to TSD. 

I need to go to my bank and see if I can create a different account.  If not may have to just associate with my CC and take the 1.9% hit  >>>>  but I'd still get a 1% rebate on general merchandise , not as good as 5% but better then nothing.  

And I know that both my CC's have good fraudulent claims polices, never had a problem getting a charge removed and my Sam's card will call and confirm a charge if it looks suspicious. 

I did the same thing SteveP did for the same reason. Works fine and don’t have to worry about someone else having access to my other account(s)

Edited by Chargerman

1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

I need to go to my bank and see if I can create a different account.  If not may have to just associate with my CC and take the 1.9% hit  >>>>  but I'd still get a 1% rebate on general merchandise , not as good as 5% but better then nothing.  

And I know that both my CC's have good fraudulent claims polices, never had a problem getting a charge removed and my Sam's card will call and confirm a charge if it looks suspicious. 

Just my $0.02, but I would suggest setting up an account at a different bank, if you’re doing it for protection. Most banks (and credit unions) will access other accounts at that bank if an account is overdrawn. I set one up with Ally (online bank - there’s several good ones, that’s just the one I chose - here’s a list from Clark Howard: https://clark.com/technology/online-banking/best-online-banks/). It’s really easy to me to initiate a transfer $$ from my main bank to my Ally account, but my Ally account can’t access my main account. 

• Like 1

Back in 2015 my computer was hacked, ransom ware.  Called the bank VP at 11PM and she came into the office and isolated all my accounts.   From then I've been real cautious about the accounts.  

Not saying that someone couldn't access the other accounts but the bank VP>now the President has assured me that the individual accounts are safe  BUT  you never know. 

I've got automatic payment on a bunch of different things>>> electric, phones, internet.......   One more but with a different account won't hurt. 

But I have been thinking about opening another high yield account with a different back that offers better terms.

So I decided to set up both the Mud Flap and TSD accounts. 

First glance both have benefits.   I can use a CC or bank debit for the Mudflap but have to use a debit for the TSD.  Not thrilled about that but it is what it is. 

I downloaded both apps to my phone to see the coverage in the Knoxville.  Once set up navigating each app was easy.   They both have about the same number of stations listed but most are not the same.   Prices seem to be similar, and compared to Gas Buddy maybe a little cheaper but not sure what the fees apply when using either Mud Flap or TSD.   Having options on multiple stations helps.

BUT my wife ain't thrilled about using either.  Going to have to convince her of the benefit.  But I am going to get her a Sam's CC to take advantage of the 5% fuel rebate. 

Edited by jacwjames

I checked all 3 in the Knoxville area. 
GBuddy and Sam’s CC $3.21

Mudflap $3.29 plus their fees

TSD $3.26 plus their fees

Guess it gets down to where you are comfortable taking your rig to save less than $10 on 100 gallons of fuel.

The Mud $3.29 is east of Knoxville just off I-40 and is pictured below which is a nice feature of Mud BUT you have to call ahead to get the discount code.

IMG_8915.png

Edited by Ivylog

That's my next job is to figure out what is involved with each card.  I've read that with MudFlap you have to go into the store to show the code, which texted to you phone.  Besides having the card with TSD are there any other requirements. 

I do like the map that pops on Mudflap, gives a good view of access which is important when pulling toad.  When I look for diesel ahead of time I'll pull up google earth on my laptop to get an idea of access etc.  Most of the time that's good enough. 

The Sam's club nearest us ~25 miles away has good access and I usually fill up there on my way back home.  That way the tank is full waiting on the next trip.  But I've been to some Sam's clubs that has very poor access to the point I decided to pass trying to get fuel. 

I showed my wife the 3 different apps, she was not thrilled.  She is use to finding low prices on GasBuddy so at least I know she might do OK going that route.   But always to have options. 

TSD gives you locations where 18 wheelers fuel. Access should never be a problem. You are also getting  fresh fuel. The pumps will notstop after any predetermined amount. The pumps are also fast. In most cases the locations are close to the highway.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, birdshill123 said:

TSD gives you locations where 18 wheelers fuel. Access should never be a problem. You are also getting  fresh fuel. The pumps will notstop after any predetermined amount. The pumps are also fast. In most cases the locations are close to the highway.

My philosophy too. Never had a fuel problem (knock on wood) and with a safe 1000 miles range there will be one on the way, maybe except when roaming southern Utah for weeks, where Mudflap comes handy at Mavericks, not much choice there. The TSD app also links to directions to review the pump situation. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ivan K said:

. . . except when roaming southern Utah for weeks, where Mudflap comes handy at Mavericks, not much choice there.

Mavericks is now a TSD station, and there are many listed in the app for Southern Utah. 

With Love's and TA you can load in your TSD/EFS card and pump directly from their app.  No swiping (or skimming) at the pump, plus you get a transaction receipt.  It show full pump price (before discounts) but shows gallons, date, time, etc.  I take a photo of the pump anyway (old habit).

- bob

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

Mavericks is now a TSD station, and there are many listed in the app for Southern Utah. 

Good to know, thank you Bob, wasn't like that last spring/summer.

15 hours ago, jacwjames said:

That's my next job is to figure out what is involved with each card.  I've read that with MudFlap you have to go into the store to show the code, which texted to you phone.  Besides having the card with TSD are there any other requirements. 

I do like the map that pops on Mudflap, gives a good view of access which is important when pulling toad.  When I look for diesel ahead of time I'll pull up google earth on my laptop to get an idea of access etc.  Most of the time that's good enough. 

The Sam's club nearest us ~25 miles away has good access and I usually fill up there on my way back home.  That way the tank is full waiting on the next trip.  But I've been to some Sam's clubs that has very poor access to the point I decided to pass trying to get fuel. 

I showed my wife the 3 different apps, she was not thrilled.  She is use to finding low prices on GasBuddy so at least I know she might do OK going that route.   But always to have options. 

With TSD, you just swipe your card at the pump.  There are several prompts.  You have to enter your control number, where you want DEF, and a couple of other things.  Then you just pump away.  There is no printed receipt, but I snap a photo for my records until I can reconcile the statement from TSD.  It is usually a day or 2 after the transaction.

I like TSD for the fact that you don’t have to go inside.  One time the reader was bad and I did have to go inside.  Also, with TSD you must use the card at least every 2 years. I believe this is a new requirement as it used to be 6 months.  I’ve read that you can call them and verify the card is active.  They will reactivate the card, but you have to use it that day.  They also have an emergency after hours number that you can call while at the pump.

You can find less expensive fuel, but you need to figure out if “the juice is worth the squeeze “.  I have a 100 gallon tank, so most of the time I never buy more than 75 gallons of fuel.  I always plan my trips and fuel stops.  Almost all of the truck stops on the Interstate are readily accessible.  I still look at Google Maps to see what the station looks like - is it at an intersection with red light, is the entrance on the right or left, etc.  I find it’s a lot easier to make a left turn entering and a right turn exiting than the other way around - takes some of the stress out of it.   

• Thanks 1

figure out if “the juice is worth the squeeze “  >>  That pretty much sums up every thing I buy.  I seldom do impulse buys and when possible shop the internet for things I need. 

My wife on the other hand is pretty much opposite,  She buys on a whim a lot.  For some reason she has been buying Foo Dogs>> Chinese Lion dog statues.  Doesn't make sense to me unless they somehow retain value and she can use them as her retirement plan🤑

All good info on the TSD & Mudflap cards.  I found the Maverick stations to be the best option out west and usually good access, good to know I might be able to save $$$ using the cards. 

I have been looking at the territory that the two cards cover.  I go to northern Wisconsin on a regular basis and there aren't any Mudflap station but TSD does have some in the town I'm from and the prices is good.  

I just have to now convince my wife to at least keep these options open.  I'll try and load both apps on her phone and show her how to use them.  She even has to the ability to use my phone number on her phone while she's using them so I don't have to worry about getting her access etc.  Also took a leep of faith and am getting her a Sam's Club CC under my name tied to my account.  I've got a high credit limit which might help in an emergency.  Just hope she doesn't go crazy and buy a Foo Dog

Jim, do the homework on fuel stops for her since she’s going to a certain place and then text those stops to her phone with the GPS location and a picture.

I pretty much know where I’ll get fuel before we leave for out West and most of the time it’s a Sam’s Club for 140 gallons and their $1.50 hotdog and a drink.

1 minute ago, Ivylog said:

Jim, do the homework on fuel stops for her since she’s going to a certain place and then text those stops to her phone with the GPS location and a picture.

I pretty much know where I’ll get fuel before we leave for out West and most of the time it’s a Sam’s Club for 140 gallons and their $1.50 hotdog and a drink.

I agree on the Sam's club and she usually tries to find one.    We have pretty good range with a 128 gallon tank.  Not sure of her exact route (not eve sure she is) so trying to provide her with the info would be difficult.  My advice to her would be to sit down the night before she needs fuel and plan the stops, >>> Good Luck with that🤬

On 12/13/2019 at 6:53 AM, throgmartin said:

Just wanted to say thank you to Scotty and several others here who mentioned the TDS Logistics fuel card.

Ingrid created a separate corporate checking account that ties back to this card. We keep high balances in all of our corporate accounts for payroll and other daily expenditures and did not want this card tied to one of those accounts in the event the card was ever compromised.  I used the card at 2 Loves fuel stops last week and it worked like a charm. No need to pre pay and the transaction was smooth right at the pump. What I really liked was the discounts - 38 cents / gal for one fuel stop and 35 cents on the other. 

If anyone is interested here is the link. I highly recommend getting this card. It will save you money and pretty much painless in getting your account setup.

https://www.tsdlogistics.com/services/fuel-program/

Thank's again everyone,

One thing I wish TSD would do is have a satellite view option on the map. When I find a good price with their app I have to open another mapping app and locate the station to see it in satellite view. Would like to not have to do the extra work. I’ve suggested this to them with no response.

38 minutes ago, saflyer said:

One thing I wish TSD would do is have a satellite view option on the map. When I find a good price with their app I have to open another mapping app and locate the station to see it in satellite view. Would like to not have to do the extra work. I’ve suggested this to them with no response.

If you "get directions" through the TSD app it switches over to Google Maps.  OK, It's a 2nd app but you don't have to hunt for it.  Then just do satellite view.

- bob

• Like 3

I use other Apps, Mudflap and GasBuddy in addition to TSD because out west, Mavericks have prices that are better than Loves.  Also, some smaller locations can be found with GasBuddy.  Many Mavrick locations easily accommodate large RVs and Trucks.

Edited by Larry Laursen
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 8:30 AM, dandick66 said:

I still look at Google Maps to see what the station looks like - is it at an intersection with red light, is the entrance on the right or left, etc.  

A few years ago I pulled into a major truck stop and there wasn’t clear signage as to which way to go. I made a split second decision and went the wrong way into a dead end. I had to disconnect the car and had a heck of time getting out of there. From then on I always look at google maps to make sure I know the layout so it’s familiar to me when I get there.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cbr046 said:

If you "get directions" through the TSD app it switches over to Google Maps.  OK, It's a 2nd app but you don't have to hunt for it.  Then just do satellite view.

- bob

Thanks. Didn’t know that. Google’s street view is very useful for Rivers, also.

There is a big inconvenience using a CC, there are usually limits at the pump as to how much you can pump and/or how many times you can swipe a card. 

For me having options is a big draw on setting up either TSD or Mudflap, plus the quicker fill time.