Will the New CC2 thermostat control an Old AC (5 Button Thermostat)?

Woody O
Go to solution Solved by Guest Ray Davis,

Will the new Dometic Comfort Control Center Thermostat work with the old Dometic Air conditioner? I need to replace my bedroom a/c with a new unit but the middle a/c is still working fine. So, if I upgrade the rear a/c with heat pump with the new thermostat, will the new thermostat work with the existing middle a/c?

• Solution
Guest Ray Davis

No the new CCC will not work on your old air cond, unless you replace the control board.  It creates a delemma. I decided it wasn't worth it and I replaced    both units along with a new CCC thermostat.

My front a/c has the CC2  Thermostat. Question: Can I disconnect the data cable  going between the middle and rear a/c units down to the old thermostat and leave the middle connected to the old thermostat and when I replace the rear a/c, connect it to the front CC2 4 zone thermostat . I would have to run a data cable from the old rear data cable to the newer front a/c unit. Is this double?

I was able to push a fiberglass fish through the ceiling from my front unit to the middle unit so I can run the middle unit on the front CCC2. It was fairly easy to push the rod alongside the duct from one AC cavity to the next.

Going between the middle and rear would likely be harder, but the wire could also be run inside the duct.

cheers

Walter 

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Will the New CC2 thermostat control an Old AC (5 Button Thermostat)?
17 hours ago, Woody O said:

My front a/c has the CC2  Thermostat. Question: Can I disconnect the data cable  going between the middle and rear a/c units down to the old thermostat and leave the middle connected to the old thermostat and when I replace the rear a/c, connect it to the front CC2 4 zone thermostat . I would have to run a data cable from the old rear data cable to the newer front a/c unit. Is this double?

Just to clarify after talking to Woody. NEVER assume that any AC in any Monaco MH is the same.  Woody has the following.

Front AC - Stand Alone.  ONLY controls the Front Zone 1.  May have an up front sensor if the Thermostat is located in the center hallway

Rear AC - Has a Bedroom Thermostat. It controls TWO zones....not like the later Monaco configurations. Zone 1 is the Rear Bedroom AC and Zone 2 is the Middle AC (assumed to have a remote temp sensor).

NOW....the wrinkle.  Woody's Dynasty, per the print, has only TWO AquaHot Furnace; Front and Rear. There is NOT a separate Zone for the middle and/or toilet register. Therefore when Woody had a new front AC installed, it was a plug and play.

The question is....will a separate old 5 button Thermostat work if moved somewhere towards the middle and a line fished to it from the old Thermostat?  Yes....but with a caveat. The Furnace control is the unknown, at least to me.  ALL of the HVAC units, per the print, are to have the FURNACE DIP ON.  What is not clear in the print, again, at least to me....does Woody have a DUAL zone rear system and there are TWO thermostats controlling it....or is there only ONE zone (registers for the bedroom and the hall and the toilet) all operate off the same pump....as well as the fan control).  Maybe some folks know the answer.  It would seem from the print that when either of the Rear or Middle Zones call for FURNACE....that the registers for each zone would come on.  Don't know if there is only ONE pump or TWO pumps. If ONE pump, then there could be zone control for the registers....as in in the middle sensor controls the hall and toilet and the rear Thermostat controls the fans for the bedroom.

BUT, yes....as long as there are THREE Thermostats....and each Thermostat gets power from a Control Module, then it would be possible to run a separate line....from the Middle to a Thermostat.  The Sensor for the Middle SHOULD be Hard Wired to its Control Module. It would no have a Zone selected.....as the default when no DIP switch is set for a zone is Zone 1. The Furnace DIP should be on.

I guess that the AquaHot will sort out the rest...as the Middle AC's zone is set for Zone 2 (DIP) and the Furnace is ON (DIP).

I have referred him to a local tech that fully understands these systems and is well qualified....he will sort it out for Woody and give him options or explain.

The Issue of the AquaHot gets trickier in the new ones as there is a "buried" controller that actually controls the Bathroom Heat....I think.  But Woody's 2006 Dynasty does NOT show that extra (fourth if three AC's) Control Module....like the 2008 or so has, I think.

On 9/16/2022 at 6:30 PM, Woody O said:

Yes, it's doable but not as simple as running just a cable from a new rear AC unit up the the front AC unit with the CC2 thermostat.  The CC2 thermostat is likely using it's internal temperature sensor unless you ran a separate sensor from the front AC to a location up front.  To run the new rear AC unit would also require its own separate temperature sensor from the rear AC unit to a wall in the bedroom.

For the center AC you would need to keep your old thermostat and connect the cable to the center AC unit in effect bypassing the rear AC unit.  The center AC likely already has its own wall temp sensor.

As for the aquahot, the connections are already in the old roof AC units.  So rewiring is straight forward.  Just set the dip switch correctly for furnace.

Below is an image of your wiring diagram copied from our files.

Screenshot_20220918-233558.png