Reading ECM Codes Using Eng/Dia Switch

Go to solution Solved by Fountdf,

On the older Monaco(2002 Diplomat) if there are no Diagnostic lights showing in the dash, is it reasonable to assume that the ECM is not showing any Trouble Codes?  Has anyone found a situation where you had a Dash Code Flash up, but the Eng/Dia Switch didn't show a Fault?? The reason I ask is.....my coach shuts down for not reason on various occasions. I have checked the Eng/Dia Switch, which appears to be working, but it doesn't indicate any Trouble Codes either. I was thinking of buying a Heavy duty Truck Code Reader, but I don't really want to spend the money if it would not be wise. Thanks.

I put a silver leaf on my rig, and I LOVE the additional info I get from it.  It does read the engine codes too.

I believe Bluefire (or something like that does the same thing but with Bluetooth rather than old serial port stuff. 

The only error codes I have had were related to the throttle position sensor (I got it replaced), but it was very nice knowing why I got the warning light and then I knew what to do to reset it for the computer (a certain procedure of slowly completely depressing the throttle 3x).

I'm just trying to rule out as many items as I can. If there are no Codes showing in the Dash Panel, can I feel safe in assuming that the ECM is Ok, and it is not picking up any problem areas. Then I can try and look at other possible options that may be breaking down. An electrical problem is hard to find. But, it appears that something is getting hot and causing the power to the Dash to be cut off for about two hours. Then the power comes back allowing the engine to start up and continue some distance before the power is interrupted and shuts the power to the ignition off again. That is the gremlin that I am pursuing.   Thanks for your comment.

I also use a Silverleaf and knows that it will maintain in history any codes that it sees even if the CEL is off.

Years ago when I was changing fuel filters my rig got on air, I finally got it going but the Silverleaf had a long list of fault codes associated with fuel pressure. 

Then last year I stopped to get fuel, I left the rig running.  While I was fueling the engine started to stumble, black smoke coming out of the exhaust.  I jumped in the coach, no CEL but the Silverleaf caught the fault code, something to do with fluctuating fuel pressure.  Engine picked right back up and didn't have any other problems.  The code is still showing in my history since I haven't deleted it. 

1 minute ago, Michael Powell said:

Question I see that 2 of you use Silver Leaf what model number Silver Leaf are you guys using...

There is only one software package that you can download for free and play with.  It has a default screen with some gauges but then you can add your own.  Some people get pretty elaborate but I track the Oil Pressure & engine temp, transmission temp, voltage, boost pressure, gear, speed, I've set up a trip counter and fuel gauge (which is really accurate).  and some other things.   You have to have a windows based PC or tablet to display the results.  I recently bought a Microsoft Surface Go 2 tablet.which works good for display. 

You have to buy a plug in box depending on which data port you have.  https://www.rvupgradestore.com/shop-s/1180.htm?Search=silverleaf

When I checked the Dash Eng/Dia Switch, the Warning and Stop Lamps came on and stayed illuminated. But, no flashing appeared as I counted to 30, them switched the key back off. Since I didn't get any indication of an active Code, I just assumed that no Codes have been recorded. This shut down situation has been going on since 2018. And of course the fuel filter has been changed about once a year. So I don't think it's a fuel related issue, especially when the coach dies going down the Interstate and the dash goes totally dark. Thanks to Jim J. above who has had some interesting observations over the past year or so on another Forum. For those who may not be familiar with this on-going saga, I have replaced several parts, mostly relays and circuit breakers, Main Chassis Disconnect Switch, as well as the lift pump which had an intermittent leak.

One thing I might ask is....is it possible for the Chassis Interface Plug, located in the center of the Electrical Panel (outside below the drivers seat) to interrupt the power to the Ignition Relay?? I noticed when the burned relays were replaced in 2018, that one of the Traces in the Circuit Board from the Ignition Relay went to the Chassis Interface Plug. Also, I have purchased a new KIB Latch Relay (located at the bottom of the electrical panel) for replacement as well. The KIB Latch Relay smells like it has gotten hot, has a burnt smell. As you know this relay is suppose to work with the Salesman Switch as I understand it's purpose. But, it does feed the 50 Amp Circuit Breaker that feeds the Coach side of the Circuit Board. This same Trace from this Circuit Breaker appears to feed power to the Chassis Interface Plug as well.  And when the Ignition Relay is pulled, the Dash lights will not come on with the key switched on. Thus, the reason for my question. As I have mentioned in other Forums, Folks I am open to comments/ideas. Thanks.

On 9/17/2022 at 7:31 AM, Fountdf said:

I'm just trying to rule out as many items as I can. If there are no Codes showing in the Dash Panel, can I feel safe in assuming that the ECM is Ok, and it is not picking up any problem areas. Then I can try and look at other possible options that may be breaking down. An electrical problem is hard to find. But, it appears that something is getting hot and causing the power to the Dash to be cut off for about two hours. Then the power comes back allowing the engine to start up and continue some distance before the power is interrupted and shuts the power to the ignition off again. That is the gremlin that I am pursuing.   Thanks for your comment.

You mention that all electrical power is lost and then after time it comes back.  If you haven't already done so, it would be a good idea to check the power connections, grounds, and fuses associated with the engine ECM and the ignition switch.  There are a lot of cases where losing power or ground will shut off the engine and not throw a code.  In effect, the engine thinks you turned it off.

I have checked all of the grounds that I have been able to find, but I have not pulled the ECM plug to try and check the ground pin. Of course when the coach is running I don't suppose checking the ground pin would be of any appreciable value since it is making contact. In any event, I have a Tech coming this week who might be able to identify potential trouble areas. Most of the Truck Techs are familiar with Trucking/Trailer electrical and hopefully, may have some experience with RV electrical. Thanks for ideas.

• 3 weeks later...

Frank, based on your comment as well as other contributors, makes me think of an additional question. If the ECM were to fault as you have pointed out/suggested, would the/or could the ECM take two hours or so to reset?? Because when the engine shuts off, it is approximately two hours before the power is restored to the dash/ignition switch. 

No, a reset doesn't take two hours.  But what often happens is that a loose connection gets hot causing increased resistance.  It needs lots of time to cool down.  So, the point is to check for loose connections.  Especially both ground and power connections.

OK, thanks for the info. I have the Cummins manuals for my 8.3 ISC. A review of that harness connection, hopefully, will give potential trouble shooting comments as well as how to disconnect, what to look for and clean/reseal the connection. Thanks again.

• Solution

I believe Franks comment does answer my posted question....along with all of the other comments. The ECM can't fault what it can't see. My manuals are less than helpful in identifying a specific  cause in my overall problem, but the information is helpful in ruling out certain problem areas. Again as Frank pointed out the problems generated with loose connections getting hot, etc.,  is a potential problem area that I will address shortly, before our next outing. I believe I can rule out the ECM as a main culprit since I called Cummins RV Maintenance who did state that the ECM in all likelyhood will not interrupt the power to the Dash. I believe this particular Topic can be closed to further posts if the Administrator desires.