Door Glass

sg47619

How hard is it to change the door glass on a 01 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38 ? And where would one start to try and find a replacement?

thanks in advance . 

8 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Why do you need a replacement??  Is it broke or is it fogged???

I had 3 windows fog, I removed each of them, took apart, cleaned, and reassembled using the desiccant spacers, and then caulked.  Reassembled and installed the windows.  Cost ~$100 to do all 3.  

Jim is correct.  There is a discussion on Windshield glass that I just posted some info on the places that provide glass.  The glass is tinted and tempered.  It is not a “sealed” unit with a factory vacuum and an inert gas inside like some home windows.  I had a broken pane replaced by Duncan and they had two panes made and tinted and tempered to match the original.  Many local glass shops will pull and do the job.

The only thing, generically, to be aware of is some frames will have double stick tape on each side for a good, waterproof seal.  3M makes a VHB Auto Emblem tape in many widths and the local big box stores sell it.  Acetone is usually required to clean.  Do not use any silicone based or “household” caulking.  The PROFLEX is good and easy to work with.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

I had 3 windows fog, I removed each of them, took apart, cleaned, and reassembled using the desiccant spacers, and then caulked.  Reassembled and installed the windows.  Cost ~$100 to do all 3.  

Thanks again for your help, where would I get the spacers and is there a specific caulk for them. 

1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

This would be a great topic for the annual Gathering.  And now we found a presenter!  😉

- bob

54 minutes ago, sg47619 said:

...where would I get the spacers and is there a specific caulk for them. 

There is a number of previous discussions if you search for them but everything I needed for my glass repairs I got from here: https://www.dkhardware.com/black-3-16-wide-x-3-16-thick-edgetech-super-spacer-66-roll-ss31666bl-product-77197.html

Here's a post I did ~7 years ago when I tackled mine.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/dont-wait-too-long-246255.html

You'll have to search the DK hardware site for current products, I believe some of the links I had posted aren't current but the supplies are still out there. 

One thing I'd highly recommend is getting a battery powered caulk gun and the block that can be used to place the caulk between the panes.  It does a much neater job.  I still have and use the caulk gun, really handy for placing uniform beads around windows and on the belt molding. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jacwjames said:

Here's a post I did ~7 years ago when I tackled mine.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/dont-wait-too-long-246255.html

You'll have to search the DK hardware site for current products, I believe some of the links I had posted aren't current but the supplies are still out there. 

One thing I'd highly recommend is getting a battery powered caulk gun and the block that can be used to place the caulk between the panes.  It does a much neater job.  I still have and use the caulk gun, really handy for placing uniform beads around windows and on the belt molding. 

Thanks again.  

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't aware of the fix so I took mine to a local glass shop and they replaced it w new.  It took them 3 times...first had a sticker bw panes, 2nd had a big thumbprint in wasn't happy with.  3rd time was a charm and been great since.  Cost about $130 4 yrs ago.