2008 Camelot AC Compressor Failure and Serpentine Belt issues - How to Proceed?

TommyL
Go to solution Solved by Frank McElroy,

08  camelot ISL400 tag . Trip home dash air blower quit,AC or heat  no work. Check all electrical bays no smoke ,no smells. 150 miles home, watch dash gauges no problems.Spend next am checking fuses ,relays ,etc. Blower motor runs quite and smooth on external power. Go to engine bay, compressor clutch bearing failure, serpentine belt broke. Must have given up when I backed into shop. Ok new compressor a given. Hook up Freon gauges , zero pressure. Remove compressor, no new  oily residue for what that’s worth. Can I install new compressor leave unplugged, put new belt on an move coach in case I need help to repair. Plus is blower motor quitting related to other failures. Seems like it should work on heat side. Thanks for any thoughts, Tommy. Broke down in Eufaula Ok.

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 2008 Camelot AC Compressor Failure and Serpentine Belt issues - How to Proceed?

You should be able to bypass the A/C compressor with a shorter belt until you are ready to fix It correctly. As for your blower it is probably the resistor on the condenser which is usually on the front firewall on the passenger side. Take your broke belt if still in one piece and route it bypassing A/C and get a length for new belt. Good luck!

There's no problem installing new compressor and use it with its clutch disengaged, just like with AC off. Until you get the system repaired. Watch for any trash coming out of the old compressor and if you see any or even just a dark oil, you should flush the system to clean it and change the usual parts before refill. I still have trouble seeing how failed clutch bearing would destroy the compressor unless it locked up and was running dry system. Clutches are replaceable. But if it was the front bearing that failed and if your AC was functional prior to the incident, compressor's shaft seal probably gave up when the shaft seized. There is no relation to the fan quitting that I could imagine.

• Like 1

Kenneth pulled resistor ,all looks good. Continuity on all legs if that means anything. Maybe selecting switch ( low medium high) has gone bad. Looks like I’d have to pull fragile dash face plate to get to it. Last on my list. Only relay found was listed as cond  fan. Replaced no go.

Ivan  I don’t know if compressor was bad but I couldn’t get clutch off and since it lost all Freon I opted to replace. System flush appears needed with new parts .I’ve never done it before but I can learn.  Thanks for your reply, now I know I can move it if needed. 

Try this on for size.  These drawings were on the 2009 Camelot....and were UPGRADED later....with a whole bunch more circuits....but harder to read.  Open the file.  Scroll to the FAR RIGHT.....then down about midway.  That shows the complete Front HVAC system and where the fuses and such are.  I HOPE that your 2008 has the same or similar PCB.  

Hope this helps.  GOOD LUCK.

I don't THINK that we have the 2008 Camelot drawings....but you can do a SEARCH (upper corner) and use FILES and put in WIRING.  That will get you 3 pages....and you can look at the titles....

12 volt systems.pdf

• Solution

There is a screen shot from the file Tom posted.  You might want to check fuse F26 in the front run bay.

Here is a link to a complete set of drawings for a 2009 Camelot.  I suspect your 2008 will be close.

Screenshot_20221025-205316.png

08 Camelot 43’.  Tom  and Frank you’re screenshot saved my day. Studying the diagram showed us the electric dash air compressor clutch is directly related to the blower motor. Even though we checked every fuse, first me then my brother, some how we missed it. F 26 wasn’t it but close enough we found F 29 was the culprit. Flushed system (looked like muddy water) new compressor, filter drier,belt and Freon. Cold air ! Will wait for warmer days to tweak pressure. Now onto the crankcase pressure sensor. I don’t think I could own this coach without the support of this group. Hope I can return the favor someday.Tommy and Cheri 

49 minutes ago, TommyL said:

08 Camelot 43’.  Tom  and Frank you’re screenshot saved my day. Studying the diagram showed us the electric dash air compressor clutch is directly related to the blower motor. Even though we checked every fuse, first me then my brother, some how we missed it. F 26 wasn’t it but close enough we found F 29 was the culprit. Flushed system (looked like muddy water) new compressor, filter drier,belt and Freon. Cold air ! Will wait for warmer days to tweak pressure. Now onto the crankcase pressure sensor. I don’t think I could own this coach without the support of this group. Hope I can return the favor someday.Tommy and Cheri 

I know I'm speaking for Frank as well.  Getting stuff fixed and you learning more about your MH is thanks in itself.  Good luck.  Remember to download the drawings.  There MAY be a couple of versions of the "12 Systems in the file".  Mine was the original and the oldest and the one I used.  There may be a newer one....with a lot more INFO....but it is cluttered....and It was easier for me to use this one as the AC is clear and easy to spot.

• 5 months later...

Do OK, dash air rebuild was successful,flush system,new compressor,filter dryer ,belt ,vac. Freon . One short trip,all good.Good day to clean radiator,CAC,hyd cooler,ac condenser. Well great ,ac condenser has oily spot running down it with a puddle on bottom bracket. Found what appears to be a match at Radiator supply house #740967  700.00$ plus shipping. About 2x the price of our truck condensers. Anyone have suggestions, didn’t find anything in Vendors section.

Tommy 08 Camelot 400 Isl tag .