Asco Red Hat Valve Repeat Failuire

trailmug
Go to solution Solved by birdshill123,

Our 2008 Signature has an electric fresh tank fill solenoid, which is an Asco Red Hat branded valve. About every 2 years, we end up with a problem where the valve doesn't want to close, which results in the fresh tank overfilling, and the complete inability to pressurize the domestic water system (the AquaJet pump just dumps into the tank until the valve decides to close). I'm getting ready to put my third rebuild kit on it (so I can feed antifreeze into the hot circuit), which replaces everything but the brass base and the electromagnet. Has anyone else struggled with this? Am I missing something? Our house has extremely hard water (>20GPG), so maybe it's just getting jammed with minerals?

Thanks,
Rob

Edited by trailmug

Rob,

Back in 2012 I built my own auto fresh tank fill system for my previous 2002 Windsor.

I purchased a 12 VDC Water solenoid 1/2 inch which is still working to this day for the new owner. When I get home I will look up where I purchased it from and repost.

Seems to me you need to dump what you have and try something that doesn't fail so often.

I replace 2 on mine before I chunked them and put a ball valve in place.  I use the manual fill for my fresh water.  A little choir to use but don't have to worry about the overfill issue.  I was in Colorado. coming home when it first happened and had no water for 400 miles driving home.

You might try a sprinkler valve. Lots cheaper and more available (Lowe's, Home Depot) and they have a manual bypass. While they're made for 24 volt AC I'm pretty sure they'll be ok on 12 volt DC. (They're cheap enough that if it doesn't work out you haven't lost that much.)

34 minutes ago, Harvey Babb said:

You might try a sprinkler valve. Lots cheaper and more available (Lowe's, Home Depot) and they have a manual bypass. While they're made for 24 volt AC I'm pretty sure they'll be ok on 12 volt DC. (They're cheap enough that if it doesn't work out you haven't lost that much.)

I like that idea.. used one and three 9V batteries before for a potato cannon with much success. 😀

Edited by trailmug

On 11/15/2022 at 2:07 PM, Dr4Film said:

Rob,

Back in 2012 I built my own auto fresh tank fill system for my previous 2002 Windsor.

I purchased a 12 VDC Water solenoid 1/2 inch which is still working to this day for the new owner. When I get home I will look up where I purchased it from and repost.

Seems to me you need to dump what you have and try something that doesn't fail so often.

Finally had time to look up what water solenoid valve I had purchased for my Auto-Fill Fresh Water Tank System I had built for my Windsor over 10 years ago.

I bought it from eBay and it was called - 3/8" ELECTRIC SOLENOID VALVE 12 VOLT DC VITON SEAL (Normally Closed)

• Thanks 1

• Solution

Our Dynasty has the same valve. If you always use a filter to fill your water tank or running off the hose the Asco will last longer,.  The diaphragm has a tiny hole from the factory. If a speck of sand gets in the valve will malfunction. You can buy a new valve for the price of the rebuild kit. You can take apart the valve without removal. Just split the valve and checkout the diaphragm for sand. There are off brand Chinese valves that will work but I do not trust them.

Bingo, piston returned from vacuum when I pulled the diaphragm off due to plugged weep hole. I think the brass body of the valve is getting galvanic corrosion. Maybe some dielectric unions would help? No, I guess the whole thing is PEX.. 🤔 The steel spring and piston were pretty rusty, despite being 2yr old. Seems like a poor design choice.20221118_203456.thumb.JPG.d86243181e6a5b02428a2c723ecbc046.JPG

Edited by trailmug

Since we've got a nice searchable thread going, I'll put the rebuild part number for anyone who hates themself (I had a spare on-hand already, valve replacement is a job for future Rob). 😀 It's Asco #302272. Supplyhouse.com has a reasonable price if anyone does.

Edited by trailmug