big ceiling light in solon

Denny Wagaman

The ceiling rope light that is located in the center of the solon ceiling and is about 4' maybe 5' long in my 2011 Camelot DFT isn't working. I had Elite RV pull the light and they said the rope lights were no longer good.  They looked for a replacement couldn't find anything.... then were told that rope light is no longer made.  The rope light has a 1/2" or so edge that runs along the actual light so that it can be stapled to the  surround.  I would assume that Elite checked to see if there was a fuse for that particular light but I cannot find one so designated.  My question is has anyone had this problem and if so what did you do about it OR did you find a fuse?  Denny Wagaman 

2 hours ago, Denny Wagaman said:

The ceiling rope light that is located in the center of the solon ceiling and is about 4' maybe 5' long in my 2011 Camelot DFT isn't working. I had Elite RV pull the light and they said the rope lights were no longer good.  They looked for a replacement couldn't find anything.... then were told that rope light is no longer made.  The rope light has a 1/2" or so edge that runs along the actual light so that it can be stapled to the  surround.  I would assume that Elite checked to see if there was a fuse for that particular light but I cannot find one so designated.  My question is has anyone had this problem and if so what did you do about it OR did you find a fuse?  Denny Wagaman 

Denny,

Your signature says 2009.  I thought you had a 2011.  Matters not, but correct it if wrong.

If, and I'll bet it is, your system is on the Multiplex, it is on the RELAY OUTPUT side.  Again, Monaco did some upgrades on the 2011....

My center lights are 3 fluorescent fixtures. The DOOR switch is ONE switch (a Push ON....momentary contact).  The OTHER switch is on one of the OVERHEAD panels.  These are NOT dimmable like the OTHER incandescents.

The ONLY fuse for these lights is on the Multiplex Modules.  There are THREE of them.  TWO regular (they have the Incandescents) and one for the ON/OFF items like the Water Pump, Vent Fans and Fluorescents.  FIND the light on your wiring layout with the three Intellitecs. Then pull that fuse....probably a 10 Amp.  Check with a meter or replace it. 

IF there are TWO switches for this light.....as in ONE at the door (momentary contact on the passenger console) and one "Multiplex" switch for it....either turns it ON or OFF, then you MAY have a Multiplex issue and that COMPLICATES IT.  The easiest way, if the fuse is OK, is to actually "temporarily wire it".  Get a power plug (cigarette lighter) with a short line.  Get a piece of #18 Lamp cord from Home Depot or Ace or Lowes. Pull down the fixture or get to the power leads. The POLARITY does not matter.  Cut the Power Plug and use two wire nuts to attach your piece of lamp cord.  Then put the OTHER end on the incoming power.

The OTHER option, is if you have a VOM, take a razor blade and cut a small section off the incoming power leads to the fixture. Then use your VOM.  Make SURE you have power....as when you TURN on the switch. I would NOT do anything UNTIL I verified that I had POWER to the fixture.  THEN you know you do NOT have a Multiplex issue.  BUT, if NO POWER, then make up the short extension cord and plug it into the one of the front power sockets and straight wire it so that when you plug it in....the light will have power.  If it works....then Multiplex.  I can talk you you offline about that....as this is the most "UNIQUE" wiring idioacity that Monaco ever did.

SO....basics.  VOM and Switch on and off... POWER is OK and comes on and off with switch....then you have a bad fixture and then fix or replace it.

BUT if you have NO power, then check the fuse for that light on the appropriate Multiplex module.  That is the ONLY fuse in the circuit....on that you can depend.

If you don't do the VOM bit, then make up a temporary power source and test it...

That's it....

3 hours ago, Doug and Nicki said:

I replaced mine with LED strip from Amazon. This is a 12 volt light strip, so making the change is easy. Get the dimmable roll of LED and just zip tie it to the existing rope light. Works fine.

Thanks for the answer to the post by Denny.