Aqua Hot low-med-high LR/Kitchen fan switch has only one speed & doesn't shut off/on with call for heat

Yoaks5
Go to solution Solved by det944,

On my 06 Navigator I have a switch on the Kitchen Intellitec light switch panel that is for the living room and kitchen fan. The fan should to be a 3 speed fan but currently only works on one speed. With the switch off if I push the button once it lights up but nothing happens a 2nd push and the fan will come (light stays on) on and a 3rd push the fans turns back off but the light stays on and with the 4th push the switch light goes off. To me it seams like the switch is operating correctly but the fan is not coming on or switching speeds. So I have a 3 speed fan that only works on one speed. 

The other issue I have with this fan is it doesn't come on or off with the thermostat calling for heat. My other zone fans are controlled by the thermostat if its calling for heat they will turn on and off with the call for heat. This is the most annoying issue of the 2 since this fan will continue to run and once the thermostat is not calling for heat it blows out cold air since the fan never shuts off until we push the switch.

I also get heat out of the dash vents from the AH. AH tank hot, same thermostat calling for heat, ignition key off, dash control set to on, dash fan switch on and I get heat from these vents. These vents are controlled by the thermostat. Meaning if I leave the controls on this fan will go on and off and the thermostat calls for heat.  

After that long winded explanation my questions are:

1. Why doesn't the 3 speed fan have 3 speeds?
  2. Why doesn't the 3 speed fan come on and off with the call for heat?
  3. Is the an Intellitec issue? 

I'm wondering if it was ever wired correctly at the factory. I'm including pictures of the Intellitec controls and my 3 speed fan. The control panel with the E on it is the one that controls the 3 speed fan even though its not labeled as such.. When the switch pushed once (low) I get no air and LED D14 comes on. One more push (to medium) fan turns on and LED's D14, D9 & D10 all light up. One more push (to high) and fan turns off and D14 & D11 Led's are on. I'm not sure what this means but thought someone else might.

I also tested at the AH panel and when this thermostat calls for heat I have power going to the fan out and when its not calling for heat I have no power. Seams like this is working as designed. 

Appreciate any help I can get!

2111461802_IntellitecControlE.thumb.jpg.885151feecea16b4fc48b9b54d3bad29.jpg249513876_IntellitecControls.thumb.jpg.30bd041eabc670b5afc99225a4af3ec9.jpg

1. image.thumb.jpeg.729da852bb5b27ec013e09bd5fa5fdf9.jpeg

OK….OTHERS, such as Exec or Sig owners with the same features will have to chime in.  I read the prints and the manual for your MH.  But the prints don’t actually, unless I missed it, the exact layout of the switch you are describing.  That doesn’t mean you are wrong, but without a picture, to compare to, it is confusing.

Now, the Intellitec Module C has the circuits, as best I can tell, for an AH blower….which APPEARS to be NOT controlled vis the AH/Thermostat circuit.

My first advice.  RESET everything.  That will be the front Thermostat and the bedroom (assuming you have one) and the Multiplex CPU and the AH panel.

If the Multiplex CPU has a glitch, which happens when batteries are “messed with”, then it may lose some of the programming.  Chasing wiring issues and such are futile…so reset and then test and respond back and provide a picture of the keypad.

Thermostats……turn OFF the power button.  Hold the Mode and Zone buttons IN….and while held IN….power ON.  FF will be displayed.  Do this for each one, if you have TWO.  They are on independent systems.

MPX reset.  I believe that your Salesman Switch at the door, which controls one or two solenoids will kill the power to the entire MPX system including the modules and the CPU.  Turn off (press down on the bottom) the battery cut off at the step well .  Now, go to a MPX switch panel.  The keypad should be dead.

Wait a few minutes.  This next step is my own “maybe….won’t hurt” comment.  Press and HOLD the errant fan switch for maybe 30 seconds,  if there is a stray current in the PCB, this dissipates it.  

Now, power back UP by turning ON (push top) the switch,  all power will be restored to the CPU and however it was programmed before will be fully restored.  Like rebooting your computer.  

NOW, also check the AH panel to make sure there is no ALERT or just use a bent paperclip and push in and hold the RESET button through the access hole.

Your manual is a bit “simplified”.  There is NO section on cycling the AH Blower.  There is NO info in the wiring diagrams about how Module C is set nor how the CPU is programmed.

I would assume that the Thermostat controls the “need heat” to the AH in furnace mode.  The Thermostat controls the Furnace “fans”, but I don’t remember if it specifically brings on the AH fans in Furnace,  I always leave my Fan Mode in AUTO.  I suggest that each wall thermostat fan mode be in AUTO while on furnace.

Then start to experiment.  I do know that you will get heat or maybe more correctly, fan air from the HVAC, (dash) when the AH is running and the main HVAC (house) thermostat is set to Furnace for the front or zone 1.  This was discussed a while back and Monaco had different modes or ways of configuring it in different years.

Again….AFTER you reset the 3 systems….run your tests or see if you still have the same concerns or issues…

Then you will need an astute owner of an Exec or Sig or Navigator to test and chime in..as to exactly how their system works.  

Good Luck.

Ours is like yours, multiplex button in kitchen that does off/low/med/high. Only is supposed to blow (and light only illuminates) when zone 1 furnace is calling from the rooftop unit. Also I've found that the fan speed can't be adjusted when the fan is not running.

I believe the multiplex signal that lights the galley button LED and commands the fan on comes from the dash HVAC fan relay PINK (GAL A-H BLWR ON-SIGNAL) to the multiplex input module "F" J4-4 (presumably nearby or up in a cabinet overhead). That relay is energized by the #5 FAN wire coming out of the Aqua Hot control panel, which is triggered by the #5THERMO wires from the rooftop unit, presumably subject to some logic in the AH unit like low temp cutout. The fan power itself would be provided by a multiplex output unit that's not on this drawing.

I hope that gets you started, this one might be fun 😑

38071413 (Schematic, Dual Heat Elements, Aqua-hot).pdf

Here's the multplex schematic. Zone 1 fan is driven by 10 CHANNEL OUTPUT MODULE "E", P/S WARDROBE (outputs J2-5, J2-6, J3-1), as you discovered.

38080525 (Schematic, Multi-Plex).pdf

Next visit I pay to the storage facility, I'll try to check out which output LEDs turn on at different fan speeds.

Edited by trailmug

1 hour ago, trailmug said:

Ours is like yours, multiplex button in kitchen that does off/low/med/high. Only is supposed to blow (and light only illuminates) when zone 1 furnace is calling from the rooftop unit. Also I've found that the fan speed can't be adjusted when the fan is not running.

I believe the multiplex signal that lights the galley button LED and commands the fan on comes from the dash HVAC fan relay PINK (GAL A-H BLWR ON-SIGNAL) to the multiplex input module (presumably nearby or up in a cabinet overhead). That relay is energized by the #5 FAN wire coming out of the Aqua Hot control panel, which is triggered by the #5THERMO wires from the rooftop unit.

38071413 (Schematic, Dual Heat Elements, Aqua-hot).pdf 154.76 kB · 0 downloads

Great INPUT.  However, the 2006 calls for Module C (charley) if I read it correctly. Look for the following Print in the 2006 Dynasty Downloads.  HINT....most were also for MOST Sig, Nav, Dynasty, Imperial  and Exec. 

The print is near the bottom of the list.  It is the DETAIL, Label, MPX, Module "C" and is print number 3805116 in our downloads....and says....RELEASED FOR Dynasty, Executive and Navigator.  (wonder why NOT Imperial?  Who knows?).  But this SHOULD be the print for your system....Here is the file....to Download

There will be a legend of the Modules and the Circuits somewhere in the MPX area.  Monaco often changed Module Alpha Letters, as well as circuits....so G in 2008 might not be the same as 2006....

2006_Dynasty_Wiring_Diagrams.pdf

• Like 1

Realize the switch can only change the speed of the fan when the thermostat is calling for heat from the AquaHot in Zone 1.  You can force the heat on by picking a high setting say 80, then when the fan is actually blowing you can adjust the speed.  Sorry if I misunderstood and you have already done this.

3 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

OK….OTHERS, such as Exec or Sig owners with the same features will have to chime in.  I read the prints and the manual for your MH.  But the prints don’t actually, unless I missed it, the exact layout of the switch you are describing.  That doesn’t mean you are wrong, but without a picture, to compare to, it is confusing.

Now, the Intellitec Module C has the circuits, as best I can tell, for an AH blower….which APPEARS to be NOT controlled vis the AH/Thermostat circuit.

My first advice.  RESET everything.  That will be the front Thermostat and the bedroom (assuming you have one) and the Multiplex CPU and the AH panel.

If the Multiplex CPU has a glitch, which happens when batteries are “messed with”, then it may lose some of the programming.  Chasing wiring issues and such are futile…so reset and then test and respond back and provide a picture of the keypad.

Thermostats……turn OFF the power button.  Hold the Mode and Zone buttons IN….and while held IN….power ON.  FF will be displayed.  Do this for each one, if you have TWO.  They are on independent systems.

MPX reset.  I believe that your Salesman Switch at the door, which controls one or two solenoids will kill the power to the entire MPX system including the modules and the CPU.  Turn off (press down on the bottom) the battery cut off at the step well .  Now, go to a MPX switch panel.  The keypad should be dead.

Wait a few minutes.  This next step is my own “maybe….won’t hurt” comment.  Press and HOLD the errant fan switch for maybe 30 seconds,  if there is a stray current in the PCB, this dissipates it.  

Now, power back UP by turning ON (push top) the switch,  all power will be restored to the CPU and however it was programmed before will be fully restored.  Like rebooting your computer.  

NOW, also check the AH panel to make sure there is no ALERT or just use a bent paperclip and push in and hold the RESET button through the access hole.

Your manual is a bit “simplified”.  There is NO section on cycling the AH Blower.  There is NO info in the wiring diagrams about how Module C is set nor how the CPU is programmed.

I would assume that the Thermostat controls the “need heat” to the AH in furnace mode.  The Thermostat controls the Furnace “fans”, but I don’t remember if it specifically brings on the AH fans in Furnace,  I always leave my Fan Mode in AUTO.  I suggest that each wall thermostat fan mode be in AUTO while on furnace.

Then start to experiment.  I do know that you will get heat or maybe more correctly, fan air from the HVAC, (dash) when the AH is running and the main HVAC (house) thermostat is set to Furnace for the front or zone 1.  This was discussed a while back and Monaco had different modes or ways of configuring it in different years.

Again….AFTER you reset the 3 systems….run your tests or see if you still have the same concerns or issues…

Then you will need an astute owner of an Exec or Sig or Navigator to test and chime in..as to exactly how their system works.  

Good Luck.

Thanks Tom...I had shut the salesman switch yesterday but decided to do the reset procedure just like you have in called out (even the “maybe….won’t hurt” step. Unfortunately it didn't change anything. I do have 2 thermostats and did reset both. I still have the original ac and 5 button thermostats on this coach, so I don't think it was messed up during an A/C change out. I see there is a piece of tape on the PMC Central Processing Unit (Not put on by me) that says AH 6-3-10. No idea what that means.

3 hours ago, trailmug said:

I believe the multiplex signal that lights the galley button LED and commands the fan on comes from the dash HVAC fan relay PINK (GAL A-H BLWR ON-SIGNAL) to the multiplex input module "F" J4-4 (presumably nearby or up in a cabinet overhead). That relay is energized by the #5 FAN wire coming out of the Aqua Hot control panel, which is triggered by the #5THERMO wires from the rooftop unit, presumably subject to some logic in the AH unit like low temp cutout. The fan power itself would be provided by a multiplex output unit that's not on this drawing.

38071413 (Schematic, Dual Heat Elements, Aqua-hot).pdf 154.76 kB · 2 downloads

Here's the multplex schematic. Zone 1 fan is driven by 10 CHANNEL OUTPUT MODULE "E", P/S WARDROBE (outputs J2-5, J2-6, J3-1), as you discovered.

38080525 (Schematic, Multi-Plex).pdf 497.9 kB · 2 downloads

Next visit I pay to the storage facility, I'll try to check out which output LEDs turn on at different fan speeds.

Thanks Trailmug...now I know how it is suppose to operate. I suspected this was the case but its not how mine works at all. I do some comparing on your 08 to the 06 dynasty diagrams that tom sent.

1 hour ago, willbo777 said:

Realize the switch can only change the speed of the fan when the thermostat is calling for heat from the AquaHot in Zone 1.  You can force the heat on by picking a high setting say 80, then when the fan is actually blowing you can adjust the speed.  Sorry if I misunderstood and you have already done this.

Thanks Bill, This is not how my fan works at all. I can have all thermostats off and still turn this fan on/off manually. 

Did some more looking and testing. My fan is hooked to module E and is labeled TV S/O OT 5A (pulled fuse to verify). I believe this would have been the bedroom tv slide out which I don't have. It currently has a 10 amp fuse in it and the print shows this fan should be a 1 amp. I changed it to 1 amp and it blew the fuse first time I turned the switch on. So I put the 10 amp back in. Not sure what this means. 

Also while I had the fuse out I tested the switch, it still lights up on all positions but the fan doesn't turn on. 

I also notice on the prints Tom sent for the 06 Dynasty that the wire (its pink) from the module should go up to a relay. On mine it doesn't. It goes from the Module to a plug above the panels and I'm guessing ends up under the kitchen sink. I pulled the floor up and there is a pink wire attached to one of the wires going to the fan. The fan has a black wire (goes to a ground block) yellow, orange and red. So I tested the voltage at the connections under the sink floor. There is a brown/yellow pair, pink/red pair and orange/orange pair.

Switch on Low = no power on any wires. Fan doesn't work.

Switch on Medium = brown/yellow pair 11.74 volts and pink (from MPX module?)/red pair 11.98 volts, orange/orange no voltage. Fan does run. 

Switch on High = Orange/Orange pair 13.12 volts. No voltage on the other 2 pairs. Fan doesn't work. 

I'm not sure how this should be wired or what voltages I should show. My batteries are in float charge at 13.4 volts. 

From the schematics the bath aqua hot fan is wired in where the kitchen fan should be. I verified that fan is working as it should by pulling the fuse. It also has a switch (1 speed) and comes on and off with the bed thermostat zone 2. 

Thoughts or other things I should try? I guessing it was wired wrong from the factory but how do I correct it? 

Pictures of my switches, the under sink wiring and the relays in the back closet. Eventually I'll 20221205_140718.thumb.jpg.a93a323dc60db11fc22c46a6e7f03aae.jpgfigure out how to take a picture so its not sideway when I post. 

20221205_172243.jpg

20221201_143027.jpg

I'm wondering a the wrong label(s) were applied to the multiplex output module(s). Also perhaps the multi-speed fan wires got mixed up. We had a couple of low voltage mistakes on our coach, like the driver's side living area reading lights having their ground connected to the window shade output module.. they'd turn off when lowering the shades 😎

Also it sounds like possibly the wire to the multiplex input module that tells it the furnace is called isn't right.. did it ever work correctly? 

Edited by trailmug

My 2006 Dynasty kitchen fan. . switch only comes on when activated manually with furnace selected on the zone 1 thermostat. It doesn't come on automatically if I have furnace selected. I'll try to verify tomorrow as I'm curious that the LR/ Kitchen fans must be selected manually to operate. Maybe that's what Monaco had to do to allow 3 speeds for zone 1?

I helped someone who had the same setup as yours, but his keypad was programmed incorrectly. We were able to work out what it was supposed to be and reprogrammed his keypad. His module labels  and the circuit diagrams did not match up with the Intellitec.

The Intellitec has some special logic to toggle one of three outputs on from one key press.

if I recall correctly, they were next to each other, so check all the output fuses on the module.

Paul

• Solution

Looked at the 2006 Dynasty this morning which has the intellitec system for house systems control. The Kitchen switch activates the 3 speed blower feeding the vents under the cabinet and curbside sofa. This function is available whether or not "furnace" is selected on the front thermostat or aqua hot is "on". Selecting "furnace" turns on a blower in the front dash console under the drawer even if aquahot is not "on". There is no fan speed selection at the thermostat when "furnace" is selected. It appears in order to get heat out of the aquahot heat exchanger vents under the kitchen cabinets and curbside sofa, the aqua hot must be on (110 or diesel), furnace must be selected "on" at the front thermostat and the aquhot blower switch in the kitchen must be on (3 speeds available). I'm not sure it can be configured to come on and off automatically when furnace and the desired temp is selected. That would be nice! 

2 hours ago, det944 said:

It appears in order to get heat out of the aquahot heat exchanger vents under the kitchen cabinets and curbside sofa, the aqua hot must be on (110 or diesel), furnace must be selected "on" at the front thermostat and the aquhot blower switch in the kitchen must be on (3 speeds available). I'm not sure it can be configured to come on and off automatically when furnace and the desired temp is selected. That would be nice! 

That is exactly how our 2007 Nav operates, but I am confused, it does come on and off whenever the thermostat calls for heating in the front of the coach, at whatever speed you already selected.  The vent in the very front of the coach only runs at one speed whenever the thermostat is calling for heat as well.

17 hours ago, pwhittle said:

I helped someone who had the same setup as yours, but his keypad was programmed incorrectly. We were able to work out what it was supposed to be and reprogrammed his keypad. His module labels  and the circuit diagrams did not match up with the Intellitec.

The Intellitec has some special logic to toggle one of three outputs on from one key press.

if I recall correctly, they were next to each other, so check all the output fuses on the module.

Paul

That interesting. I'll look closer at these. Mine don't match the schematics either.

3 hours ago, det944 said:

Looked at the 2006 Dynasty this morning which has the intellitec system for house systems control. The Kitchen switch activates the 3 speed blower feeding the vents under the cabinet and curbside sofa. This function is available whether or not "furnace" is selected on the front thermostat or aqua hot is "on". Selecting "furnace" turns on a blower in the front dash console under the drawer even if aquahot is not "on". There is no fan speed selection at the thermostat when "furnace" is selected. It appears in order to get heat out of the aquahot heat exchanger vents under the kitchen cabinets and curbside sofa, the aqua hot must be on (110 or diesel), furnace must be selected "on" at the front thermostat and the aquhot blower switch in the kitchen must be on (3 speeds available). I'm not sure it can be configured to come on and off automatically when furnace and the desired temp is selected. That would be nice! 

Sound like your fan works like mine but I only have one speed. My dash vents do work with the thermostat call for heat and that is a 4-5 speed fan so not sure why the kit/LR fan would not. I believe it is suppose to if working correctly.

From trailmug's earlier post "Ours is like yours, multiplex button in kitchen that does off/low/med/high. Only is supposed to blow (and light only illuminates) when zone 1 furnace is calling from the rooftop unit. Also I've found that the fan speed can't be adjusted when the fan is not running."  I know his is an 08 but believe the 06's should also work this way. Why would Monaco have this fan (the main living area fan) only be operated manually. It is very annoying when it starts blowing out cold air if the thermostat is not calling for heat.

I also took Willbo777 earlier comment to mean his fan on/off is controlled be the thermostat call for heat also. 

Guys please let me know if I am misinterpreting your earlier moments. 

Getting my kit/LR fan to switch on/off with the thermostat call for heat is my main mission. I would also like it to have the 3 speeds but that is secondary.

51 minutes ago, Frank Bergamo said:

Kevin,

are you sure that the fan motor is not malfunctioning? Possibly a resistor at the motor? I found this on line a while back, thought it might come in handy to keep in my files. https://www.northernradiator.com/Product/AH545  Good luck, hope you get it figured out.

Thanks Frank! This looks exactly like my fan. I'm not sure the fan could be bad and that's why I only have one speed. I think I could put 12Volts to each wire and see if the fan is bad. At least I now have the wiring instructions for the fan so that should be helpful. 

Good call Frank! Not sure why I never thought to check the fan. I cut the 3 power wires at the fan and verified what fuse they were on and that each of the 3 power wires had power. Then checked each speed on the fan with a verified hot wire and discovered the high speed doesn't work. But I did get low and medium speed to work so I'm fine with that for the speeds. I do also know my fan is hooked into module E labeled TV S/O IN, TV S/O OT & TIMRD IGN. Just like the electric diagrams show. Mine are just labled wrong. One for low, medium  & one for high speed. I Changed the breakers to 10a after the pic.  Fan calls for 15a so i might need to change them again if i have issues. Still don't know why it doesn't turn on with the thermostat call for heat. 

I did notice on the 06 dynasty electric diagrams Tom attached earlier (page 131) in this post that the other Aqua Hot functions also incorporate a relay this include the diesel burner, AQ 110 volt, lav fan and the aqua hot blower on module C. Not sure what the aqua-hot blower is maybe had to do with the fan issue I'm having? Anyone know what the aqua hot blower is? I would not think it would be the diesel burner blower but not sure. 

1798220280_Screenshot_20221206-204358_AcrobatforSamsung.thumb.jpg.498b2f0315a9ef3aea056e1ed5dc3d4d.jpg

20221201_143333.thumb.jpg.5cc48e2fe11b5ab5eac858c8cd841af7.jpg

Screenshot_20221206-204358_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Screenshot_20221206-204350_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

On 12/5/2022 at 9:17 PM, pwhittle said:

Paul

So I was able to figure out the fan speed and got it working on all speeds. It still doesn't come on or off with the thermostat call for heat. Do you think this could be a programing issue with MPX system? 

On 12/6/2022 at 12:11 PM, det944 said:

KEVIN,

if you read the above, and what you just posted, then it sounds like yours is doing what others are doing.  If you want it to work another way, them someone like Paul or Frank or maybe another member that has an “authorized” or Intellitec software license will have to look at the program and see if it can be made to work like you want it to.

I’m not an Intellitec expert, but know that Monaco had one “standard” base CPU Program for the upper ends. It supposedly had every conceivable feature or add on.  Then, Monaco wired or configured the modules to carry out an instruction and if you didn’t have it and it was on a multi switch unit, it got a BLANK label.  So if you didn’t have a drop down TV, you had no switch for it.  Thus, all the CPU programs were the same.  But your keypads were customized for what features you have….thus, there were maybe 8 different ones for a “living” area.

Bottom line, from my perspective, the description above and your results say “this is the way it is”. Therefore if it works that way on several MH….then the program, as written, is working.  Might not be to your needs or desires.

Now, the fix, if that is possible, is to go into the master CPU program and see what the options are as well as what the available outputs and configurations are for that module.  This is customization and only Intellitec license holders can do this.  M&M of course and our licensed guys.

Therefore, the “solution is” works as programmed.  At this point, it is requested that further comments or changes or what iffs be handled offline.

thanks.

40 minutes ago, Yoaks5 said:

So I was able to figure out the fan speed and got it working on all speeds. It still doesn't come on or off with the thermostat call for heat. Do you think this could be a programing issue with MPX system? 

No,  programming is consistent 

• 4 weeks later...

I have a similar issue with my heater fan. everything was fine last night This morning the heater fan isn't working at any speed. I found the fuses and removed, checked and reinstalled since none were burned out. I reset the Duo Therm per the instructions. The thermostat is functioning normally for A/C & heat pump, The furnace function operates the fan under the dash storage as usual but not the kitchen fan. The Intellitec button for the fan speed functions as normal and lights up when pressed 1,2,3 and off on 4 but still nothing with the fan.  Suggestions?

Patrick B

2007 Executive

3 hours ago, pbustamante41 said:

I have a similar issue with my heater fan. everything was fine last night This morning the heater fan isn't working at any speed. I found the fuses and removed, checked and reinstalled since none were burned out. I reset the Duo Therm per the instructions. The thermostat is functioning normally for A/C & heat pump, The furnace function operates the fan under the dash storage as usual but not the kitchen fan. The Intellitec button for the fan speed functions as normal and lights up when pressed 1,2,3 and off on 4 but still nothing with the fan.  Suggestions?

Patrick B

2007 Executive

Use a VOM and check for incoming VDC to the fan motors.  Then work your way backward.

ONE TRICK. TURN OFF HOUSE POWER.  Use the salesman switch.  Leave it off for 5 minutes or so.  Turn back on.  This resets your Intellitec CPU.  THEN test it.  THEN check for voltage