Utah Pneumatic 1/4" brass push to connect fittings leaking

Robert92867

Due to leaking original Tee fittings (I think they are Parker) I decided to cut in new Utah Pneumatic 1/4" Push to connect DOT fittings.  The old tubing (1/4" Parker PTF nylon) was distended so I cut back 5" from both sides of the Tee and tried to couple new Utah Pneumatic 1/4" Dot air fitting nylon saeJ844 tubing.  I don't know what the "dot saej844" spec is about, but all the fittings were compliant with it.  After 3 days, I give up.  All the fitting leak badly, so badly I cannot air up my air springs, hence I can not even move my coach. The air springs are all new, so no leaks there.  The original Parker brass push to connect 1/4" fittings are different from the Utah Pneumatic fittings.  the ferrule sits deeper and the tube slips in more easily.  And they don't leak, even with the new tubing.  I wonder if I should be buying a different fitting? If so what? Amazon seems to be flooded with Utah Pneumatic fittings and I am leery of the chinese brands, and know nothing about the plastic composite push to connect fittings.  Are there any 1/4" air suspension fitting experts out there who can help me out of my dilemma?

IMG_4164.JPG

IMG_4165.JPG

IMG_4166.JPG

Did you replace the tubing also?  Wonder if it is out of spec. 

When I worked on my rig last year I removed the fittings I wanted to replace,, took them to a supply company and had them match.  I did not replace any of the tubing and all worked didn't have any leaks except for one, the original routing of had the hose coming in at an angle.  I ended up using a compression fitting to solve that one problem. 

@Robert92867when I was fixing all my air line leaks I discovered as well that most of the leaks were at the push to connect and swivel areas.  So I went with nut and ferrule connectors and non-swivel type fittings.  The push to connect and swivel fittings were used because it was faster at the chassis assembly.

Something for you to consider as you chase down and repair leaky fittings.  

I replaced tubing, not all.  Replacement tubing was Utah Pneumatic 1/4" od, type A Dot sae J844.  I checked the dimensions with a mic.  Everything good, except when fitted to the 1/4" brass Utah Pneumatic and the Toolagin couplings Ivan mentioned.  All leaked.  

I think I may have a solution.  I tried some Beduan (Chinese made) 1/4" push to connect nickel plated brass fittings and they don't leak.  I have ordered Beduan, and also some Tailonz, and even some composite fittings, all arriving by tomorrow. So that's 3 backup brands. Hopefully something in this latest order will work.  And I can return those that don't.  I leave Dec 20 for 2 months in South Florida with a full suite of confirmed non-refundable reservations going in and exiting from.  So I am sweating bullets as I get down to the wire. Jdw, I did notice (via Youtube videos) that many of the newer trucks use composite (plastic and brass) fittings.  If nothing works then I will drive up to Redlands CA which is a major truck repair area. Or even brass compression type.

The Verdict is in... cheap Chinese fittings (Beduan) don't leak.

Tailonz fittings don't leak.

Tailonz composite fittings don't leak.

Michigan springs is sending me some but they probably will arrive too late.

The big loser in this match is Utah Pneumatic, with their impressive specs... "DOT approved.  SAEJ844 compliant"  All leaked!  I even used their matching spec tubing.

9 hours ago, Robert92867 said:

The Verdict is in... cheap Chinese fittings (Beduan) don't leak.

Tailonz fittings don't leak.

Tailonz composite fittings don't leak.

Michigan springs is sending me some but they probably will arrive too late.

The big loser in this match is Utah Pneumatic, with their impressive specs... "DOT approved.  SAEJ844 compliant"  All leaked!  I even used their matching spec tubing.

Thanks for the follow up.

I guess that was the advantage with going with a local supplier who also services the local truck shops, the chances of them having a low quality product is a lot lower.