New Essex Keypad

Dr4Film

Today I decided to work on replacing the defective Essex Keypad that my infamous "certified" inspector failed to test and identify during the useless inspection I had paid for in Utah prior to purchasing my Dynasty.

I had ordered a new one from eBay last summertime but never took the time to install it until today.

Got it installed and it works great! Programmed my new master code then tested it to make sure it worked which it did. I did have the set of keys in my pocket just in case it didn't.

My question is this keypad is different than the one I installed on my previous Windsor. The bay door unlock button is #9 instead of #7. Also, whenever I used the keypad on the Windsor to open the entry door the driver's side courtesy light would come on for about 5 seconds then turn off. When unlocking the entry door on the Dynasty with the keypad there is no courtesy light that comes which is a real PITA!

So, is there supposed to be a courtesy light that comes on in my Dynasty or did they do away with that feature due to the multiplex lighting in the coach?

I don't see why they did not use the passenger overhead lights to use as the entry courtesy light as those lights are on a Carlings Technolgy switch on the passenger side console. Those are not [art of the multiplex system.

Makes no sense to me but who am I to question what Monaco was thinking or better yet NOT thinking back then.

Richard, 

I can't answer your question, because my keypad hasn't worked since I bought it (but I knew it didn't when I bought it).  Which keypad did you get?  I'm considering replacing mine, but since my 97 Dynasty didn't have one, and this one has never worked, I don't really miss it, other than having to go inside to get the remote to lock/unlock all the bay doors.  Come to think about it, I don't think it unlocks the entry door, but I honestly haven't tried.  I only use the key fob remote to the bay doors.

Thanks,

-Rick N.

Thanks, Rick, Mike and Todd.

That's good to know.

Mike, my running lights all flash when using the Key Fob like yours.

So, I have now added to my "wish" list the project to modify the wiring harness of the Keypad to have the passenger side overhead lights light up when the entry door is unlocked. It will require a relay to be added like the installation instructions state and tapping into the correct wire coming from the keypad and the light switch. There are numerous ones not being used.

It can't be that difficult!

WOW! I just looked up the keypad on Ebay. They certainly carry a hefty price tag (north of $300)  but once one is used to using one it is pretty hard to do without. The fact that they can still be found (the old original small button) amazes me. 

9-vs-7 is just a matter of which ‘output’ wire on the back of the Essex is used to trigger the bay doors. 
I don’t remember if the Essex keypad has its own ’dome light’ output wire, but if it does, triggering the entry light with a relay would probably be the easiest solution.
On my dynasty there is no provision for entry light with the Essex keypad. But there is an existing trigger wire for the entry light under the dash that is used with the optional viper alarm. It’s not used with the normal keyfob, but it’s pre wired for the alarm option.
When I replaced the keyfob unit, I was able to connect this to the wireless receiver’s ‘dome light‘ output so my keyfob unlock also turns on the entry light. 

Cheers

Walter

Edited by wamcneil
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Grampy OG said:

WOW! I just looked up the keypad on Ebay. They certainly carry a hefty price tag (north of $300) but once one is used to using one it is pretty hard to do without. The fact that they can still be found (the old original small button) amazes me.

The eBay listing back last summer was under $300. He took my offer of $280 for the keypad. Obviously, inflation has affected the eBay market too.

Yep. The Essex has its own Green dome light output wire. It's only 5-sec though, so probably need some kind of time delay relay to keep the entry light on longer.

That would be a big improvement. I really like the entry light coming on with my fob, but we generally use the keypad for coming and going. 

If you want to get back to your 7 key for the bay doors, just disconnect the Brown wire and connect the Pink wire instead.

essex.jpg

On 12/13/2022 at 9:39 AM, Dr4Film said:

Makes no sense to me but who am I to question what Monaco was thinking or better yet NOT thinking back then.

I replaced the majority of my Trimark door system, and lost things like porch light coming on, marker lights flashing etc.

When I got on the phone with one of their tech's and explained how Monaco had the original wired, he just shook his head and told me I'm on my own!

I got one of the greatest Monaco minds working remotely on it (Harry Martin), but we never did get the lost features working!

Edited by 96 EVO