Shock rubbing on air bag

2004 Monaco Dynasty.

Front drivers side air bag blew. When I removed the blown air bag I could see where the shock has rubbed on the bag  causing it to blow.

After installing the new air bag the shock is still rubbing on the new bag.(The passenger shock has plenty of room and is not rubbing on the air bag). The welded to the frame stud is not long enough to add spacers yo move the shick away from the bag and still have room to attach the nut to the stud. 

Any thoughts on how to fix are appreciated.

Do  they make an extension that can be added to the existing stud?

Cut the stud and weld on a longer stud if it can be found?

Cut the stud off drill a hole and attach a bolt on stud?

Thanks in advance for any and all ideas. 

Sorry fir the duplicate post. Don't see how to delete one of them.

2004 Monaco Dynasty.

Front drivers side air bag blew. When I removed the blown air bag I could see where the shock has rubbed on the bag  causing it to blow.

After installing the new air bag the shock is still rubbing on the new bag.(The passenger shock has plenty of room and is not rubbing on the air bag). The welded to the frame stud is not long enough to add spacers yo move the shick away from the bag and still have room to attach the nut to the stud. 

Edited by bmulvenna@hotmail.com
Duplicate post

6 minutes ago, bmulvenna@hotmail.com said:

2004 Monaco Dynasty.

Out of curiosity, do you have pics? It Would be nice to compare and see what it looks like on our coaches. Might give you an idea of the solution if we take pics, or at least get us under our coaches to make sure we don’t have an issue. 

3 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

Out of curiosity, do you have pics? It Would be nice to compare and see what it looks like on our coaches. Might give you an idea of the solution if we take pics, or at least get us under our coaches to make sure we don’t have an issue. 

Sorry no pics.

Edited by bmulvenna@hotmail.com

My 12 volt power wire for my docking lights was not routed in a good manner so last spring while installing new steer axle tires I did a reroute and noticed my drivers side rear steer axle air bag was close to that shock, it had enough clearance for me to put a washer in between the shock mount and the shock mounting eyelet and it moved it away a bit. FWIW. 

I had a shock stud break on the left rear.  I drilled it out using a small diameter cobalt bit and then opened the hole up using a carbide burr.  I then used a grade 8 bolt and nut with a spacer to mount the new shock.  

That should work on yours.  

However, it's difficult to understand how the original air bag could survive almost 20 years of rubbing and just now fail.  

I would inspect both upper and lower mounts to see what has happened and certainly install a new shock. 

Good luck! 

Edited by vito.a

22 minutes ago, vito.a said:

I had a shock stud break on the left rear.  I drilled it out using a small diameter cobalt bit and then opened the hole up using a carbide burr.  I then used a grade 8 bolt and nut with a spacer to mount the new shock.  

That should work on yours.  

However, it's difficult to understand how the original air bag could survive almost 20 years of rubbing and just now fail.  

I would inspect both upper and lower mounts to see what has happened and certainly install a new shock. 

Good luck! 

Yep my thoughts.