Roof Seam Questions - 2000 Knight

I was on my roof the 1st time and noticed what looked like tape going down the middle of it.  In places, it looks like tape is coming off.  Is this a roof seam? 

What is the tape material called and where can I obtain it? Is there a preferred roof cleaning detergent and method? Is there anything that I definitely should not do when cleaning the roof?  Are there any tips or tricks that would be helpful in this project?  Then would I paint the entire roof after the cleaning and tape is replaced?  The outer skylight dome over the shower is broken.  I think this maybe causing a leak I found in the bathroom. I was thinking about taping the dome with flex seal tape to see if that is causing my leak. and use the flex seal tape as a temporary repair.  What do you think? 

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Roof Seam Questions - 2000 Knight

I used aluminum duct tape where my roof seal tape was damaged.  The aluminum doesn't deteriorate.  That's just me and may not be the best material. 

There's official roof cleaning products and lots of stuff that's gray area or just bad (house wash, driveway wash, Simple Green, bleach, etc).  I usually wash mine with RV wash / wax - it doesn't do a great job but gets most of the dirt off. 

Now that we have a roof for our roof I'll probably do a better job on the roof. 

- bob

Pole Barn 59 RV Washed.jpg

12 minutes ago, RorySamuels said:

I was on my roof the 1st time and noticed what looked like tape going down the middle of it.  In places, it looks like tape is coming off.  Is this a roof seam? 

What is the tape material called and where can I obtain it? Is there a preferred roof cleaning detergent and method? Is there anything that I definitely should not do when cleaning the roof?  Are there any tips or tricks that would be helpful in this project?  Then would I paint the entire roof after the cleaning and tape is replaced?  The outer skylight dome over the shower is broken.  I think this maybe causing a leak I found in the bathroom. I was thinking about taping the dome with flex seal tape to see if that is causing my leak. and use the flex seal tape as a temporary repair.  What do you think? 

Rory,

OK....from the TOP (🤣).  First you need to use the Monaco Site and get some reference materials and do some reading so you have a better understanding of your MH, since this is the first one for you.  Here are two files to download.

The FIRST is the Sales Brochure.  It gives you all sorts of information on the standard and optional stuff....besides the basics of how it was built.  You have an ALUMINUM roof....so that makes you pretty unique.

The SECOND is the Owner's Manual....in case you did not get it.  There will be others like the wiring diagrams and you can search here for them...

The THIRD....is a BONUS.  It is from our files...and is the wiring diagram....this is almost as important as the Owner's manual....  

https://www.monacocoach.com/resources/media/user/1469212097_brc_pdf.pdf

https://www.monacocoach.com/resources/media/manuals/2000_Knight.pdf

OK....the simple answer.  The Tape is PROBABLY a product called ETERNA-Bond.  It is available on Amazon in many widths, lengths and colors. DO NOT USE FLEX SEAL unless you can't get the proper sealer.  There is a section on sealers.  Most of the stuff that you buy at HD or Lowes is for HOME use.  The adhesives and sealers that Monaco used were supposed to be High UV Resistant.  If you put Flex Seal (emergency only) it might NOT last and might fail again. 

NOW, If you do some research like "Eterna Bond Repairs RVs" on Google you will find a wealth of info ... as well as YouTube Videos.  The simple fix is to get the REAL EternaBond in the same width...or maybe overlapping a half inch on each side.  You start PEELING.  When you get to a point where the tape is REALLY adhered well.  THEN, you can STOP or if it is close to a joint or the end....then keep peeling.  EternaBond makes a spray remover that works great. I have a background in sealants and adhesives from my past job.  I also had some peeling (under the Awning Toppers) on my MH.  When the tech put on new toppers, I had rolls of Tape and the spray.  Then he peeled and scraped and sprayed and got the surface clean. He then ROLLED DOWN the new tape.  That's RIGHT....it is ROLLED ON (like wallpaper) AFTER you apply it.  There are special weighted rollers that are recommended to apply it and get it bonded. 

This stuff is great.  It is a little more expensive....but when you don't want you ceiling sagging....it is what you need.

As to the LEAK....YES....Flex Seal tape (or even Gorilla tape (overlapped slighty) will work until you can locate the right size skylight.  That sounds simple....but be aware that some of the original vendors are gone.  If you do a search in the search box in the upper right and put in SKYLIGHT and use the drop down box and select TOPICS, you will get many "Hits" or topics.  Our members have done many of them.  Read up on them for HOW TO as well as vendors and, MOST IMPORTANT, what adhesive/sealer to use.  Again, Silicone ain't recommended.

Same goes for painting.  It is usually recommended that you find a paint that has been formulated or designed for Aluminum Roofing....and there are a lot of commercial products....again....Search for Paint or Roof and you will have a lot of help....

Hope this helps...  Hang in there.   Keep reading or watching the posts.  IF you skim or make notes, you will be surprised how many folks have the same issues and if you search and read, you will usually find a LOT more information in one place....rather than a new topic.

This should get you started....

On 1/31/2023 at 9:42 PM, 96 EVO said:

I'll bet they used the same tar-tape they used around the perimeter of slide roofs.

If they were buying bulk Eternabond, you would think they would have used it on slide roofs as well.

I would agree with you, my 2000 Diplomat had an aluminium roof, riveted down the centre and overlapped with an aluminium backed tar tape which was also used on the slide roof joints.

I have the aluminum roof with the seam down the middle and the aluminum and tar tape. I have replaced the tape on the rear cross seam with 4" ETERNA-Bond tape and painted it with Flex seal. So far I'm very happy with the results. As soon as the weather warms up I plan on doing the rest of it. I hear both good and bad things about Flex seal but I definitely want to coat tape with something. If there's something better than Flex seal I am open to suggestions.

The hardest part of the job is removing the tar. I used a heat gun and a vibrating scraper and then finished up with alcohol.

1 minute ago, Tom Wallis said:

The hardest part of the job is removing the tar. I used a heat gun and a vibrating scraper and then finished up with alcohol.

I've only removed it from fiberglass, and found WD-40 worked great at removing remaining tar.

05 Ambassador w/aluminum roof

I read clean the existing tape and roof  with alcohol. Apply eternabond tape on 1/2 of the existing tape on the lower side of the roof joint. That will give you a level surface. Apply eternabond on the other side, lapping the new tape and past the old tape to the cleaned aluminum roof. 

Gary 05 AMB DST

I want to thank everyone at this site for all of the helpful information. I want you to know that I do look through the site before asking questions. Unfortunately, there is always a lot of information to comb through and there are plenty of times when someone's personal experience is more helpful.   That experience can be a little more illuminating to a person that is as dense as I can be at times. Anyway, I have found information In the  Tech Tips  Master file, Tip 115 on page 249. I was going to copy it in here but it is a PDF and I don't have software on this machine to copy it to this post.  The file can be found on this site under downloads and is entitled Monaco Tech(nical) Tips.

Edited by RorySamuels
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

My roof is not leaking at the moment. However, the edges of my center roof tape are starting to lift.  But the center of the tape looks to still be firmly in place.

My thinking is that I take a utility knife and trim off the lifting edge sections. Leave the still firmly adhered center part and just purchase wider (6" or 8") tape and go over the original tape.

That would save A LOT of prep and make for a more secure seal.  Granted, the edges of the old tape will form a ridge but that shouldn't be any/very much higher than the screws/rivets in the roof that the original tape covered.  If I cut on an angle, the ridge will be lessened.

Thoughts?

On 1/29/2024 at 7:55 PM, VinceB said:

My roof is not leaking at the moment. However, the edges of my center roof tape are starting to lift.  But the center of the tape looks to still be firmly in place.

My thinking is that I take a utility knife and trim off the lifting edge sections. Leave the still firmly adhered center part and just purchase wider (6" or 8") tape and go over the original tape.

That would save A LOT of prep and make for a more secure seal.  Granted, the edges of the old tape will form a ridge but that shouldn't be any/very much higher than the screws/rivets in the roof that the original tape covered.  If I cut on an angle, the ridge will be lessened.

Thoughts?

Anyone?

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for your replies. I guess I am a glutton for punishment. I have about half of the roof done. Still working on it. Maybe I will go over some of the old tape. I have a roll of 6" Eterna bond tape.