Worth a laugh

Charlie 02 Windsor

Has anybody fallen for : Get your fast appraisal from Camping World sales ?
I filled out the question parts and got a reply from a salesman who wanted more info on my rig !
So I sent him a more detailed reply on it 
So on my 02 Winsor with 350 Cummins around 65000 miles on it with new brakes, shocks, tires all new awnings and a long list of other stuff..
He comes back with a high appraisal of 24,000 but more than likely less than that because of the economy ...
I told him I had more than that in the upgrades to it and that I would be giving him the coach ... he replied with welcome to the new world !!
IMG_1984.thumb.JPG.c49100944e87d380c8c660c01374c35e.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with Hobie, Camping World would be the last place I go.  I had a similar sutuation,not with CW, in 2017 when I was selling another rig.  However, the person I spoke with told me up front that the offer was less thsn wholesale and advised me to sell it on RV Trader or another retail site.  I thsnked him for his honesty and sold it for  ore than double his offer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Charlie 02 Windsor said:

Has anybody fallen for : Get your fast appraisal from Camping World sales ?
I filled out the question parts and got a reply from a salesman who wanted more info on my rig !
So I sent him a more detailed reply on it 
So on my 02 Winsor with 350 Cummins around 65000 miles on it with new brakes, shocks, tires all new awnings and a long list of other stuff..
He comes back with a high appraisal of 24,000 but more than likely less than that because of the economy ...
I told him I had more than that in the upgrades to it and that I would be giving him the coach ... he replied with welcome to the new world !!
IMG_1984.thumb.JPG.c49100944e87d380c8c660c01374c35e.JPG

They are digging deep. I got a call last week, “am I still looking for a new 5th wheel?” Umm no, I bought a 5th wheel from your lot 7 years ago……

Sales have lived very well last few years….they will get “real world” Quick as well.

• Haha 2

AS A RULE.  NEVER USE A TRADE IN.  They need to make a profit twice. 

A few years ago, my friend bought a new MB Class C- for about $90k.   Hated it first trip out. Too small.  Flush glass windows that didn't let enough air in, even at the beach.

Went back to THE "FRIEND" the salesman.  With about 150 miles on coach.  He graciously put her in an entry level Fleetwood class C (full street price then about $65k then) "and she only had to pay $10,000 more.    And she still recommends the guy.

And that place has a much better reputation than CW.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

CW cannot pay you full price for it and then turn around and sell it for more.  Just makes sense but I always see that when I trade cars...  they will offer you less than wholesale for your trade and ask retail for their vehicle...  I usually just turn it around on them and offer them the same deal in reverse and they tell me I'm crazy.  I always get a laugh out of that because I'll reply...  that is just exactly what you offered me... so who is the crazy one?  HaHa  I don't mind a dealer making a slice or two of bread off me, but just walk out when they want the entire loaf.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TomV48 said:

AS A RULE.  NEVER USE A TRADE IN.  They need to make a profit twice. 

A few years ago, my friend bought a new MB Class C- for about $90k.   Hated it first trip out. Too small.  Flush glass windows that didn't let enough air in, even at the beach.

Went back to THE "FRIEND" the salesman.  With about 150 miles on coach.  He graciously put her in an entry level Fleetwood class C (full street price then about $65k then) "and she only had to pay $10,000 more.    And she still recommends the guy.

And that place has a much better reputation than CW.

Wow ... we all know how the business goes !

38 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

They are digging deep. I got a call last week, “am I still looking for a new 5th wheel?” Umm no, I bought a 5th wheel from your lot 7 years ago……

Sales have lived very well last few years….they will get “real world” Quick as well.

I know that they are supposed to buy low and resell high ..but that is ridiculous ! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Charlie 02 Windsor said:

I know that they are supposed to buy low and resell high ..but that is ridiculous ! 

Very ridiculous. But hey I get letters in the mail weekly to buy my property, for about 1/4 what it’s worth. These are all preying on ones that are 1) desperate in need 2) don’t know what they have or 3) diminishing mental capacity 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've only sold one RV, a 1997 Class C, I sold in 2009.  What a pain, I even stooped so low as to try and list in on Craigslist and only got offers from companies that would sell my RV for me.  Took me ~+5 months to sell it and settled on a price ~~25% less the NADA. 

So if I had a fair offer as a tradin I'd consider it but it has to be fair by either getting a good price on the one I am buying or a decent trade in value. 

Our old neighbors had a nice 2011 Buick Lucerne.  I always told them if the decided to trade it in let me know.  Well last year they called and said they had bought a new car but the dealer offered them ~1/2 of the NADA retail price as trade and said before they'd do that they'd just sell it to me.  So they did, I snapped it up and plan on driving it till I can't drive anymore.  Part of the deal was that whenever we go out to eat I have to drive the car as the wife was really fond of it and says it was the best car they ever owned.  Only reason they sold it was they didn't want an older car.  Not me, I still drive my 1989 GMC suburban, a real work horse and every time I'm out and about it gets compliments, paint is faded gone but other then that it's a nice looking truck. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

I've only sold one RV, a 1997 Class C, I sold in 2009.  What a pain, I even stooped so low as to try and list in on Craigslist and only got offers from companies that would sell my RV for me.  Took me ~+5 months to sell it and settled on a price ~~25% less the NADA. 

So if I had a fair offer as a tradin I'd consider it but it has to be fair by either getting a good price on the one I am buying or a decent trade in value. 

Our old neighbors had a nice 2011 Buick Lucerne.  I always told them if the decided to trade it in let me know.  Well last year they called and said they had bought a new car but the dealer offered them ~1/2 of the NADA retail price as trade and said before they'd do that they'd just sell it to me.  So they did, I snapped it up and plan on driving it till I can't drive anymore.  Part of the deal was that whenever we go out to eat I have to drive the car as the wife was really fond of it and says it was the best car they ever owned.  Only reason they sold it was they didn't want an older car.  Not me, I still drive my 1989 GMC suburban, a real work horse and every time I'm out and about it gets compliments, paint is faded gone but other then that it's a nice looking truck. 

You sound a lot like me Jim...  I'm in East TN as well.  Maybe there is something in the water.  LOL

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnvN0nJPynj/?igshid=MWI4MTIyMDE=

3 minutes ago, Jim Bob said:

You sound a lot like me Jim...  I'm in East TN as well.  Maybe there is something in the water.  LOL

Can't be the water in our little neighborhood, everyone else drives pretty nice cars with 4 of them being enthusiasts.  My neighbor has more has a couple vehicles worth far more then my 2002 Windsor.   Average age of my 5 vehicles is +20 years but they all get me where I need to go. 

I'm about 25 miles east of you in New Market TN. 

Ah...  good old New Market.  Site of the great train wreck.  I've currently have 4 vehicles plus the RV.  Of course I drive the oldest one of all of them... a 97 Ford PU.  Its not much to look at, but it starts and runs. 

I'm currently looking at a couple Windsors... have you had good luck with yours?  Any issues I should look at?  I really would not even think of moving up from my 95 Dynasty if it had a slide out in it.  Slides just make such a huge difference inside, especially if you plan on staying in it for any length of time.

Camping World sent me the same thing....this was when we had our 1976 Monaco Winchester (Class C)....so I filled the form out anyway, for grins and giggles. I had three different CW salesmen call me, and each one was silent for a few seconds, after I told them the year, and each one hung up on me.

• Confused 1

Sometimes things do work out. My 2004 signature was a money pit. I had bought it right in 2017 but it proceeded to make Swiss cheese out of my pocket book. I had fixed all problems and had done many upgrades until I found pooling of water around my roof air conditioners. Also found a soft spot on the tile floor by the bathroom. So in February of 2021 Camping  World offered me a site unseen price that was at market value. I jumped at the deal and delivered it promptly to their Nashville lot. Collected my check and had the best April Fools day joke ever heard of.   With a bit more money I now own a 2015 Foretravel. I’ve stayed with this site hoping to find who has my former Signature so I could give them the service records. If you have a good one, enjoy it. Otherwise get out before you go down with the ship, lol

• Haha 2

I would like more info on who has what or sale WITH IN THIS GROUP. I have been looking hard for a nice used coach and have been told they would allow me $8695 for my 95 Exec.                    My daughter wants this coach but I fear she would shortly be over head and be far better off with a trailer or 5th wheel. At 79 I will not be around long to help her with things she would have to be taught about this coach. She just needs something simple to move into.                                                                                                          

19 hours ago, Jim Bob said:

CW cannot pay you full price for it and then turn around and sell it for more.  Just makes sense but I always see that when I trade cars...  they will offer you less than wholesale for your trade and ask retail for their vehicle...  I usually just turn it around on them and offer them the same deal in reverse and they tell me I'm crazy.  I always get a laugh out of that because I'll reply...  that is just exactly what you offered me... so who is the crazy one?  HaHa  I don't mind a dealer making a slice or two of bread off me, but just walk out when they want the entire loaf.

I am aware of the practices of the business, I sold used cars for awhile and know you need to make money .. 

15 hours ago, FLynes said:

Camping World sent me the same thing....this was when we had our 1976 Monaco Winchester (Class C)....so I filled the form out anyway, for grins and giggles. I had three different CW salesmen call me, and each one was silent for a few seconds, after I told them the year, and each one hung up on me.

I had done a lot of business with them ... but more than likely will drop them now 

18 hours ago, CorinthWest said:

My only observations is, you must have time to burn.  Wish I did.

You had time to read this and answer it ... congratulations on finding the time to burn !

• Like 1

10 hours ago, welleking said:

I would like more info on who has what or sale WITH IN THIS GROUP. I have been looking hard for a nice used coach and have been told they would allow me $8695 for my 95 Exec.                    My daughter wants this coach but I fear she would shortly be over head and be far better off with a trailer or 5th wheel. At 79 I will not be around long to help her with things she would have to be taught about this coach. She just needs something simple to move into.                                                                                                          

That is a tough one.  I've got a 95 Dynasty so I can relate.  I certainly hope mine is worth more than that though.  You have to figure that even the trailer or 5th wheel are going to require some work in addition to hooking up a vehicle to tow them, etc.  Maybe finding her a sound mechanic and just planning on spending some money on it is better than spending money on something else that could have smaller but just as many issues.  RVs have always been a money pit, but hopefully you enjoy the camping experience enough to make it worth the cost. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jim Bob said:

Ah...  good old New Market.  Site of the great train wreck.  I've currently have 4 vehicles plus the RV.  Of course I drive the oldest one of all of them... a 97 Ford PU.  Its not much to look at, but it starts and runs. 

I'm currently looking at a couple Windsors... have you had good luck with yours?  Any issues I should look at?  I really would not even think of moving up from my 95 Dynasty if it had a slide out in it.  Slides just make such a huge difference inside, especially if you plan on staying in it for any length of time.

One thing that I didn't look at when I got this one was the radiator ...look for any corrosion or leaks on it, that was a big one right off, all the other stuff replaced was needed house water pump, basement heater, tires, shocks, brakes and batteries other than that it has been the best rig  !  

19 hours ago, JDCrow said:

Very ridiculous. But hey I get letters in the mail weekly to buy my property, for about 1/4 what it’s worth. These are all preying on ones that are 1) desperate in need 2) don’t know what they have or 3) diminishing mental capacity 

For sure !!

• Like 2

Thanks Charlie.  It seems I've heard mostly good stuff regarding the Windsor.  I've been really surprised at how few people have zero service records for them...  which I put a high value on.  Diesel engines can run for a very long time if maintained, but such a huge expense if you need to replace.  I'm perfectly ok with cosmetic and other equipment repairs... that is just to be expected, but swapping out the engine and/or transmission is something I'm going to try to avoid.  LOL.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jim Bob said:

Thanks Charlie.  It seems I've heard mostly good stuff regarding the Windsor.  I've been really surprised at how few people have zero service records for them...  which I put a high value on.  Diesel engines can run for a very long time if maintained, but such a huge expense if you need to replace.  I'm perfectly ok with cosmetic and other equipment repairs... that is just to be expected, but swapping out the engine and/or transmission is something I'm going to try to avoid.  LOL.

You got that right ...they take a lot of oil and trans fluid .. but when you think about the cost of replacement, the fluids and filters are the cheap part of it !!
If and when you get down to pushing the button to buy ...try to spend at least part of a day in it with everything running to make sure it all works before driving off !!

• Like 1