Lifting a MH via the differential center gear case / housing?

Go to solution Solved by lake49068,

I would not.  First, if you have a heavy DP, you will probably overrate the single jack. Second that is a single point of failure (for either the jack and/ or the differential case).  The other reason is you are then suspended by a triangle.  The coach could twist (not good for windshields or slides!)

You likely will have to be underneath the coach to jack the single center jack...not good for health and well being.

Best is to use the Leveling Legs to lift the whole unit and then place your stands under the Frame (not the suspension).

If you are under the suspension, then the rig may still fall.

Use proper rated floor jacks on solid surface.  Know that most jack stands are rated as a Pair.

Edited by DavidL
  • Like 3

On 2/16/2023 at 1:35 PM, Frank C. Brants said:

Is it safe to lift a MH onto jack stands by placing a hydraulic jack under the center of the differential, then lowering it onto jack stands placed below the air bag connection points?

Thanks!!
Franko

Can it be done, yes but you need a specialized 22 ton air over hydraulic jack with a center hole so you are not lifting on the drain plug.  This is similar to the one I have.

https://www.amazon.com/Stark-Hydraulic-Air-Operated-Bottle-Extension/dp/B083VW28V4/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?crid=1IBODPBYVOYD9&keywords=air+over+hydraulic+jack&qid=1676576153&sprefix=air+over+hydraulic+jack%2Caps%2C122&sr=8-5

But, even though I have the equipment, when I changed tires, it was safer to keep one set of wheels on the ground and not risk any damage to the differential.  Jack stands were under the H frame below the air bags.

IMG_20140628_151320811.jpg

IMG_20140625_143800458.jpg

IMG_20140625_143751662.jpg

IMG_20140625_143830126.jpg

• Like 2

I was told by a CAT service center that motor homes, especially heavy DP types should only be lifted by the axles if using jacks and the same for supporting on jack stands. When I placed our 40DST on jack stands to change the air bags and shocks a few years ago I bought a 20ton bottle jack to raise the axel one side at a time and then let it down on suitably rated jack stands. Easy Peasy. If you do not want to buy them you can rent them but at the time it was less expensive to buy then rent for more than a week.

• Like 2

• Solution

I worked for Eaton (and Dana) Axle for 25+ years.  Not an engineer but was a purchasing maven so know the materials and design.  The housings are large fabricated stampings designed to support the differential gearing/carrier and as mounting points for left and right suspension points.  I've seen those axle housings in the straightening machine, they do flex more than you can imagine and take a dimensional "set."  In addition to the safety issue with single point jacking, I wouldn't want to take the chance of bending the housing...lever arm with lots of coach weight outboard of center lift point if jacking at the drain plug or carrier housing.   Jack at suspension shackles, frame or other balanced outboard point makes sense.

Adam 2010 Neptune 37PBQ

• Like 4

5 hours ago, lake49068 said:

I worked for Eaton (and Dana) Axle for 25+ years.  Not an engineer but was a purchasing maven so know the materials and design.  The housings are large fabricated stampings designed to support the differential gearing/carrier and as mounting points for left and right suspension points.  I've seen those axle housings in the straightening machine, they do flex more than you can imagine and take a dimensional "set."  In addition to the safety issue with single point jacking, I wouldn't want to take the chance of bending the housing...lever arm with lots of coach weight outboard of center lift point if jacking at the drain plug or carrier housing.   Jack at suspension shackles, frame or other balanced outboard point makes sense.

Adam 2010 Neptune 37PBQ

This would be my concern as well. 
I'd lift under the axles or a hard point on the frame.

• Like 1