TrueTopper Slide Toppers

I have an appointment with them to have it installed on both of my slides in mid June up in Oregon. So if anyone is looking for slide out toppers that are only a year and a half old, including the mechanisms, they should get in touch with me because I will make them a great deal. I’m currently in Quartzsite. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jdw12345 said:

I’m north sure what to think about cutting the top flange off to install these.

That IS what they are doing, isn't it?

I was scratching my head wondering where they were finding all these coaches with no raised flange on the side wall!

Edited by 96 EVO

They have been installing them since 2019. Over 40K installed. One needs to view the 25 Minute video by AZ Tech man. It explains the process of cutting the top flange, & sealing it.  IF i hade any toppers other than Girard, i would do it. Especially Carefree. I would replace the Girards when fabric replacement time came. 

A few full timer friends of mine have seen several coaches this winter with them on. 1 was a Signature. No problems with the flanges cut down.

The Company is also Mfg. Seamless fibreglass slide rooms, like on a Prevost or Newell, and Tiffin has been using those for several yeras. THE new standard is HERE! 

Here is a video from a install that the owner made of their installation.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/845896259499391/posts/1389904138431931 

19 hours ago, FishAR said:

One of the things I really like about slide toppers is keeping the sun off the top of the slide and helping with cooling. That product doesn't seem to accomplish that.

Yes. that's true, but I don't spend time in the heat since I went full time. But I sure end up being in some pretty high winds. 50-60 as systems move through. 

I have had a few members contact me asking for input on the True Toppers. Unfortunately I cannot comment until I see one in person. I need to get my hands on one, see it, check the materials being used, understand the mechanics of it and most importantly put it through some tests, especially water shedding. Watching a video of it in operation does nothing for me.

One reason for water testing is because of the poor ability Monaco coaches have for shedding water on the top wiper seal. We get coaches in our shop for topper change outs almost on a daily basis. One thing we see quite often is that the top wiper seals on Monaco's are too short and barely touch the roof of the slide. We have had several come in where the top wiper seal doesn't even make contact with the slide roof. Without toppers the water can and does run right under the wiper seal and into the coach. From there it hits the inside top flange on the slide and then heads to the sides of the slide and runs to the floor. This ends up rotting the interior floors.

I don't care what anyone says, no one can level a coach perfectly. You will always have a corner or side with a tiny rise or drop and that is all water needs to take off and run. That is where my concern is - Can these devices prevent water from channeling under their seal and prevent water from hitting the coaches top wiper seal ? This is why I say I would need to get one, install it and test it on my own coach before jumping on a band wagon and touting this system. I have tried buying one but have had difficulties with communicating with the company.

I have a large following of members, customers and RV'ers who trust my recommendations. Because of this I have a huge responsibility ( which I take very seriously ) whenever recommending a product or system. With this product I will not recommend it till I get one, install it, test it and am sure it will work under all conditions.

As a side note, Monaco slide roofs will handle the contact and scrapping of this device but some other manufacturers roofs may have problems. We had an American Coach in yesterday for a topper change out that had EPDM ( rubber ) roofs on their slides. The ends of the roof were bubbled and soft. I would worry about installing this system on that coach. Entegra coaches also have EPDM slide roofs. I would need to see what material is being used on the leading edge to confirm it being safe for some EPDM slide roofs.

In a nutshell, I have too many questions that are unanswered and with not being able to buy one of these True Toppers I have no way of knowing. I do not have the time to chase this company down with continual phone calls to get one. I sure as hell am not driving to Red Bay or Oregon to have one installed. Especially when I own a service center with extremely capable technicians that could install it.

The jury is out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@throgmartin

Thanks for your insight.  We appreciate your candid and professional comments.

I don't know a LOT about this system, but have a "problem child" MH that Chris did his dad gummest to fix and it can't be FIXED.  It is what it is in that Monaco designed it that way.  However, with Chris' Vinyl toppers installed in 2015, I don't worry and know how to prevent any damage.

The issue is mounting a refrigerator on a slide.  I have a 40 ft (non Tag) Camelot and the longest slide is on the Passenger side.  It is a Lippert Hydraulic system.  It is also the DROP DOWN to floor level style.  It had the Monaco original nylon (white) glide plates or the part that rides on the rollers.  When the slide is extended, at the very end, the slide "drops down" and conversely, lifts up when retracted.  I have NOT taken precise measurement as to how "Square" or level the slide it at each one INCH increment as it is extended.  What I can tell you is that when it is fully extended, the back corner of the slide sits down about 3/4 of an inch LOWER.  The entire MH is level....not to a laser transit measurement, but all is fine.  The THREE OTHER toppers are fine.  They shed water and don't have any sags.

BUT, the longest (which makes it worse) passenger or patio slide has a decided "cant" to it.  I have had it inspected and adjusted by P. J. McCants who was a Monaco Indiana supervisor and also, later ran a completed repair shop there.  The DESIGN and the WEIGHT of the Refrigerator puts an additional, load or stress on the slide....it it does NOT sit level.  That is JUST the way it is.  FWIW, the rest of that slide is the Dinette as well as the air mattress sofa.  So, there is NO counterbalanced load, when at rest and extended, on the OTHER end of the slide. If i had TWO refrigerators or a big pantry loaded with can goods there, it MIGHT sit level.

The result of the refrigerator's drop down weight on the far end causes the topper dimensions (distance from the body to the tip or where the topper is) to be DIFFERENT.  Therefore, you get a SAG in the topper at the front end.  And it will, of course, pond water.  I KNOW this.  It can't be FIXED.  Chris made a second topper....BOTH were dimensionally correct....and all the others work will and there is minimum if any ponding....much less a sag.

I upgraded to a Samsung Res Refer. I THINK that reduced the empty weight by 108 pounds and that DID make a difference and the sag in the topper is less.

I have NO IDEA how this new system might work or handle the typical Camelot/Scepter flat floor side.  It may be different on Dynastis and such but the same design of my slide was widely used....if you have doubts, then ask Chris sometime how many Guardian plates he sells for this repair when the nylon cracks and breaks and peels up.

That's take on it.  As an Engineer, I understand (and it doesn't take a PhD in Mechanical and Stress Engineering to noodle it out) what is happening and why it will stay that way and why it is not a MAJOR issue with my current Carefree Toppers.  BUT, how will the "NEW System" react and will it drain quicker or will it cause issue due to the drop down sag of these slides.

That's my take.... again. Thanks Chris for your input.

18 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

@throgmartin

That's my take.... again. Thanks Chris for your input.

Not a problem. I am all for advancements in technology and product innovation but I am always the last to board the train whenever a new product hits the market. Look how long it took me to invent, design and release to the market the Guardian Plate System !! 2 Years. I am too OCD for my own good I guess but have been around this industry long enough to know - Not all new products are worth what they state and while some fix one problem they create another.

That is the one benefit of owning a service company. I get to see it all - The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. I also see problems that defies logic and/or physics ( how could that have happened ).

• Like 1

Can't see the movement of a flush floor slide being any particular challenge to one of these gizmo's!

It's not like your slide moves too fast for the springs on these things to react.

If your slide can't be made square in the hole, I guess that would have to be accounted for while mounting it.

I agree with Chris, water intrusion is the BIGGEST problem with slides and these "new technology" toppers based on what I see on the video, will not eliminate water running or pooling on top of the slide.

My coach will never have them as my previous Windsor NEVER had a drop of water come in through a slide except for one day in Southern CA when we had a driving rainstorm with 50-60 mph winds where it was raining sideways. I neglected to close the slides that day. However, when it is extremely windy and also raining, we now close the slides until the storm is over.

I have only owned the Dynasty for one year now, so I haven't had any terrible rainstorms to see how these slides are for being waterproof.