What is this vent?

snoracer

I really hate to ask this dumb question, but how else am I going to learn.  We purchased our 2007 HR Endeavor in Nov 2022, just in time to winterize and store it.  It's still covered and it's too cold to go out and work on it.  So, I'm trying to learn as much as possible prior to using it this coming season.  So here is my question (one of many).  What is the vent or air intake that is located about 3 feet above the left tail light?2007_holiday_rambler_endeavor_40pdq_dav2203879p_35.jpg.71ab02a973f6e26433b6e636ab6ccb0d.jpg

• Like 1

That is the air intake for the motor.

It leads to a "Plenum" formed into the back cap.

At the base of that plenum is typically a water drain in case rainwater (or other) is allowed to enter the plenum from above.

So the motor doesn't ingest the water (a very bad thing).

Ensure that drain isn't clogged...it typically will have a "duckbill" at the end to keep insects from nesting in the drain tube.

• Like 4

I liked having it up high on the corner like that on our '06 Dynasty much better than where it was on our previous '95 Dynasty.  On that older rig, it was in the middle of the back wall, in the roll area where the back wall met the roof, right above the clearance lights.  That was right where the dust and dirt always boils up while going down any dusty, dirty or gravel roads.  It would boil right up to where the engine was sucking in its combustion air.  I couldn't imagine how quickly the air filter would be compromised!

IMHO, the placement they used on our coach and on your coach is pretty optimal.  Aside from maybe an inch or so possible increase in engine "boost" (if that, once it got thru the air filter) a scoop or cover probably wouldn't benefit much.  I thought about that a lot over the 15 years we loved and enjoyed our '06!

You bought a beautiful coach!  Enjoy!!

My 2008 Knight has the same intake up high on the left rear corner.  But I didn't know it had a duck bill drain.  Is that accessed via the tall  door on the back left?  Or is it wedged in above the air filter canister?  My setup looks the same... does anyone have a pic that shows where the duck bill is?  

I have got to create a checklist for these kinds of things and laminate it... fuel filler drains, air lines drains, air intake drains, transmission fluid check, air brake check, etc, etc.  It just seems endless.  

• Like 1

@Steve PTake off the air intake screen and look inside.  You should see the drain hole and pour a little water down it to verify which tube is the correct one in the engine compartment.  The air intake should be a riser of about 3-4" so any accumulation won't go into the air intake.  It would pour out the screen area first.

• Like 1