2005 Monaco Executive - Feed Back is it worth the buy..

Will thanks for the feedback. I am open to all feedback and opinions. I am very capable to do most work my self and will leverage this forum to do so. I did have a laundry list of things for the dealer to fix but very little , Lights and little things. Oh and the missing lower half of the ladder i put back on them. So they are getting a new ladder. 

Yes this one does have the ISM 500. 

I look forward to getting it on the road and get into the adventures. 

Having owned mine since new, now at 105,000 miles, I've experienced just about everything you can imagine with this coach. That said, it's been relatively issue free. The engine is probably one of the best ever put in a coach. There are some small issues Monaco skimped on. The macerator runs on 16 ga wire causing it to fail prematurely. I ran a separate 10ga wire from the batteries to the pump and the problem went away. Girard no longer makes a kit to repair the anemometer so if that fails, you'll have to buy the entire piece. You will have a steel frame in the coach, not the aluminum. Paint checking can't be avoided and will return shortly after any repaint so I'd really consider whether that is worthwhile. Your clear coat usually fails first anyway. If the washer/dryer is original Splendide no longer makes parts for that model. Ours still works and I use it probably 3 times a week as we are full timers. Does it have leveling jacks in addition to the air shocks.? If so, that's a plus. Air shock replacement will run you around 10k, ask me how I know.  One nice feature is that you can raise the tag if necessary making your turning radius shorter. I had the plastic coating removed from the front as the muggy weather from the souther states caused mold to begin forming underneath it. Finally you mentioned one to the tail light lens is broken. Which one? I have an extra you can have for the cost of shipping. I replaced the Notsocold with a Samsung, replaced the 32" TV and the outdated GPS unit. Lots of pictures and write ups on my Blog. Ask any questions as I might have forgotten some. You don't say where you are but we are in Arizona at the moment....Good luck...Dennis

Dennis -   Thanks for the great feedback. I am looking forward to getting into this unit. I finalized everything at the dealer and Gave them a laundry list of things. Including a full detail of the unit. They have completed everything and i should be picking up tomorrow. 

This forum has been a great help thus far. Feedback and reading a lot of other posts.  I have a good handful of things to do when i get it. Upgrade Radio with larger flat screen, Add additional monitor for Sideview cameras and Aladdin system display. Will be working on upgrading to all LED, adding led to basement bays, Replace sofa. Just as start.  

I will look into the wiring of the macerator. Also need to refresh the panel that holds the switches and alike in the wet bays. 1 Step at a time. 

I am in the Boise,ID area. Planing our first trip to visit some family in a couple of weeks in Nevada. Thinking of towing our car as well. A bit timid for a first trip. I have driven other RV 35ft with 20ft trailer pulling. Never a coach with a toad. I will likely be a non issue wont even know its there as some have said. I will check out your blog for sure. Thanks again and to everyone as well.  

IMG_5844.thumb.JPG.fd95784df7f31cf8b7c9a2886a41bd8d.JPG

IMG_58422.thumb.JPG.d89fd7fe313137547da5f0d310a94639.JPG

Ok that is DONE!  Picked it up today. Rode the dealer hard the did a great job on delivering a nice clean unit to me. And really cleaned up with Rims, Tires and Good Wash. 

Although it was not a easy come get its ready. Jumped in Fired it up and was going through systems checks. And the Radio Head unit was not coming on. Checked house batteries where turned on and disconnect. Would you know they killed the House Batteries. Service guy came out asked what was wrong. Said this thing has dead batteries. Went back in side and the pulled the unit in and replaced all the house batteries. No questions asked and got me on my way.  Gotta say i lucked out if they had any bit of juice in them. I would have been out of pocket. 

Now the Journey begins. Still loads of questions for everyone. But 1 step at a time. 

Edited by MJ.STIGER
  • Thanks 1

Glad it worked out for you.  The Executive is a great coach. 

Not the real work on your part starts.  Collecting and learning everything you need to know on your coach.  FWIW I have collected a large data base of information on all aspects of my coach and even after 14 years am still learning. 

Safe Travels. 

• Thanks 1

At some point you should consider replacing the Slide out toppers with the Girard Toppers.  Parts and service on the current ones will be a challenge, and you may as well just use the $$$ for replacement. Once and Done!

On 4/8/2023 at 9:45 PM, Dennis H said:

Having owned mine since new, now at 105,000 miles, I've experienced just about everything you can imagine with this coach. That said, it's been relatively issue free. The engine is probably one of the best ever put in a coach. There are some small issues Monaco skimped on. The macerator runs on 16 ga wire causing it to fail prematurely. I ran a separate 10ga wire from the batteries to the pump and the problem went away. Girard no longer makes a kit to repair the anemometer so if that fails, you'll have to buy the entire piece. You will have a steel frame in the coach, not the aluminum. Paint checking can't be avoided and will return shortly after any repaint so I'd really consider whether that is worthwhile. Your clear coat usually fails first anyway. If the washer/dryer is original Splendide no longer makes parts for that model. Ours still works and I use it probably 3 times a week as we are full timers. Does it have leveling jacks in addition to the air shocks.? If so, that's a plus. Air shock replacement will run you around 10k, ask me how I know.  One nice feature is that you can raise the tag if necessary making your turning radius shorter. I had the plastic coating removed from the front as the muggy weather from the souther states caused mold to begin forming underneath it. Finally you mentioned one to the tail light lens is broken. Which one? I have an extra you can have for the cost of shipping. I replaced the Notsocold with a Samsung, replaced the 32" TV and the outdated GPS unit. Lots of pictures and write ups on my Blog. Ask any questions as I might have forgotten some. You don't say where you are but we are in Arizona at the moment....Good luck...Dennis

Hi Dennis. Great to see you guys are still FTimg. What is your blog address?

Thank you

• 6 months later...

MJ. Take a look at my blog for upgrades and mods to your 'soon to be yours' coach. The tvs and gps units are junk and VERY heavy. The residential fridge comes in thru the drivers side window. The old fridge goes out the same way. I used a fork lift, laid the fridge on it's side and slid it in thru that window. It's an emergency access window so easily removed. Be sure to check out the manual section of this forum. Lots of good stuff on there. I also have the original CD that came with the coach. Forget about repainting it. That is simply a waste of money. The checking will simply come back. One important thing I've found is stop by Home Depot and get 1000 zip ties  I went over my entire coach just after buying it new and zip tied all the wiring every 12-18 inches. That way none of the wiring wiggles back and forth eventually breaking and/or shorting out. You have fuses in the front run bay as well as the rear in the engine compartment. Look at my blog for pics of upgrades I've done to my coach for more info.....Best of luck....Dennis

Congrats!!!  I purchased mine in April of this year and have spent a fair amount of time upgrading and learning about it.  I replaced all the interior puck lights with LEDs..... all 52 of them!!!  I think those halogen bulbs could have been an alternate heat source.  LOL.  I replaced the slide toppers, the battery isolator, charger, etc with the ACR relay, replaced the remote door locks and outside keypad, under cabinet kick lights, upgraded the surround sound/TV... and I'm sure I'm forgetting many things.  I am missing the lower part of my rear ladder... not sure if yours is the same, but I'd love to find one. 

I still have several things to do and was hoping to work on them with the cooler weather coming in, but have been slowed by a little heart attack.... two stents and two more to go and hopefully I'll be better than new.  I knew I was slowing down and not tolerating the heat very well... just thought I'm getting old... come to find out the plumbing was clogged, so I'm hoping I'm not really as old as I felt.  HaHa.  I feel much better with the two they put in already, but have been taking it easy since I still have 80% blockage in another vessel.   Congrats again and wishing you happy travels!!! 

Jim

• Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 12:28 PM, Paul J A said:

At some point you should consider replacing the Slide out toppers with the Girard Toppers.  Parts and service on the current ones will be a challenge, and you may as well just use the $$$ for replacement. Once and Done!

Hi Dennis. Great to see you guys are still FTimg. What is your blog address?

Thank you

Paul, just click on the bottom of my post or go to executive45.com. Either will get you there...:) Dennis

On 4/9/2023 at 4:42 PM, MJ.STIGER said:

Dennis -   Thanks for the great feedback. I am looking forward to getting into this unit. I finalized everything at the dealer and Gave them a laundry list of things. Including a full detail of the unit. They have completed everything and i should be picking up tomorrow. 

MJ Congrats on the purchase.  You'll love the coach. If you've never had a tag axle coach you're in for a pleasant surprise. No sway when trucks pass you and no sway in the wind. As for towing, four down is best but there are fewer vehicles that can be done so every year. We love the Equinox simply because it has a lot of room inside. Consider the ReadyBrute towing system. We've used ours trouble free for the past 15 yrs. It features a built in braking system so there's nothing else to hook up. They also have, at an extra cost, a ReadyBrake system which simply is a cable hooked to the towed vehicles braking system that has a one way switch in the event the towed becomes disconnected. The towed veh brakes lock and it stops without killing someone. IMO worth the $$. You'll find the coach easy to work on as Monaco did a great job back in the day. Northwest RV supply in Oregon bought all of Monaco's parts when they went bankrupt so put them on your speed dial. They still have a warehouse full of stuff. The part numbers on the switches are Monaco specific but they are simply Carling switches, readily available. Keep asking questions. Someone on here will know the answer....Dennis

Dennis Since i have had unit i think April ish. I agree the Tag is great. Not sure i would want to go with any thing different. I do need to get get it weighed to make sure i have the rear Tag pressure set correctly. 

I have been towing 2 different cars. Ford Bronco and Ford Raptor. They both pull very nice dont even know they are there. I  am using the NSA surge brake with Roadmaster Blackhawk. Simple installation and fuss with brake buddys.

I will note the Northwest RV supply info. but the coach is in great condition. And i feel like i made a great purchase. Seeing and hearing of other newer coach owners i am glad to have a solid unit.   

Understand you can adjust your tag as necessary. More pressure on the tag, more pressure on the FRONT axle. Allows you to change it depending on your weight distribution. If you need more weight on the drive axle, reduce the pressure on the tag. Just remember with less downward pressure on the front axle/and tag, it could affect your steering....Dennis

MJ....hope to save you hours of Google time with your coach.

1.  Headlights are 2004-05 Dodge Ram 2. Taillights are 2002 Lincoln Navigator. Monaco used knockoffs which are no longer available anywhere. Stock Nav lights will not fit. I purchased ANZO taillights, (https://www.jmautosports.com/product/anzo-211109-taillights-chrome-211109) and had to modify the housing a bit. No biggie, a dremel is no match for the fiberglass. 3. If you still have the plastic "protector" on the front, it will cost about $1,000 to remove. I had mine removed and never replaced. Mold will get behind it if you travel to and/or spend any time in the southern states with high humidity. If you decide to have it removed, I have a phone number for the guys who removed mine.4. Assuming your macerator is still in place and functioning, the wiring installed by Monaco is 18 gauge and way too small which causes the macerator to malfunction. Lots of folks simply removed it and went back to the stinky slinky. Run a new 10 gauge wire from your battery bank, fuse it at the bank and run it across behind your black/grey water tanks and into the water bay. Your macerator issues will disappear. 5. Get yourself a decent TPMS. I've used  the 507 system from TST for many trouble free years. I mounted the antenna in the water bay for the towed. There's tons of other stuff you'll most likely have questions about. Any help I can provide, simply ask...Dennis

Just a clarification…….The factory Navigator taillights will fit with the same modification that has to be done with other aftermarket units. I didn’t like the look of the factory installed “European” ones so I went with the factory red ones  

23 hours ago, Dennis H said:

MJ....hope to save you hours of Google time with your coach.

1.  Headlights are 2004-05 Dodge Ram 2. Taillights are 2002 Lincoln Navigator. Monaco used knockoffs which are no longer available anywhere. Stock Nav lights will not fit. I purchased ANZO taillights, (https://www.jmautosports.com/product/anzo-211109-taillights-chrome-211109) and had to modify the housing a bit. No biggie, a dremel is no match for the fiberglass. 3. If you still have the plastic "protector" on the front, it will cost about $1,000 to remove. I had mine removed and never replaced. Mold will get behind it if you travel to and/or spend any time in the southern states with high humidity. If you decide to have it removed, I have a phone number for the guys who removed mine.4. Assuming your macerator is still in place and functioning, the wiring installed by Monaco is 18 gauge and way too small which causes the macerator to malfunction. Lots of folks simply removed it and went back to the stinky slinky. Run a new 10 gauge wire from your battery bank, fuse it at the bank and run it across behind your black/grey water tanks and into the water bay. Your macerator issues will disappear. 5. Get yourself a decent TPMS. I've used  the 507 system from TST for many trouble free years. I mounted the antenna in the water bay for the towed. There's tons of other stuff you'll most likely have questions about. Any help I can provide, simply ask...Dennis

Thanks Dennis for all the great info. 

I have replaced the front headlights with new lens and LED better than what was on it before. But not Super at night. Still drivable with the LED fog lamps helping out. Taillights where an issue with a cracked lens looking dirty and then a small mistake on my part got the other side. I found an aftermarket set on EBAY. and Then when i checked out the exact match of Stock showed up on me search. I canceled my order and picked up the other set. They are like new and only put me back $80 for the full set very clean condition. 

I do have the protector on the front. Its not too bad at the moment. At some point it will have to come off. But i think i can ride it out for another couple of years. Now to the macerator Yes it works and well. I will have to look but i dont think its 18 gauge wire. i will have to check it might have been replaced. I did put in a new fuse as the old one popped on me. And the Switch it self stopped working. So i have been keeping it up to date. I ended up getting a Stinky Slinky. And was disappointed it did not fit in the stock tube mount. Got it for backup. So i am going to put a box in the front Generator compartment to store. There is another user here who did a great little add on in the front for this type of storage. 

TPMS i am torn on this one. All my Tires are 21's But i have heard and read this both ways it either works with out issue or its a problem child from the beginning. 1 Thing i do before we depart is check the air pressure. And if needed i will Air up before leaving. Have a great battery powered pump. Milwaukee 18 volt that will put in upto 150 psi if needed. And i charge batteries on board in between. I do have a slow leak in 1 rear inner tire i need to take it in to get fixed. Just have to get the timing down on that one. Or hit truck stop on the road.

I ended up mounting a 5” PVC square fence post cover on top of the side of the storage bay  slide for my stinky slinky but I see that Rhino just came out with a new hose that will fit in a 4” tube so I will get a set of those. 

2 hours ago, Chargerman said:

I ended up mounting a 5” PVC square fence post cover on top of the side of the storage bay  slide for my stinky slinky but I see that Rhino just came out with a new hose that will fit in a 4” tube so I will get a set of those. 

Note that the connectors are larger, and while the hose may fit, the connectors on each end won't. Before the macerater, I had to remove one end to store.

- Rick N 

18 minutes ago, waterskier_1 said:

Note that the connectors are larger, and while the hose may fit, the connectors on each end won't. Before the macerater, I had to remove one end to store.

- Rick N 

The new Camco Extreme they just came out with will fit in a 4” storage sleeve

11 hours ago, MJ.STIGER said:

I do have a slow leak in 1 rear inner tire i need to take it in to get fixed. Just have to get the timing down on that one. Or hit truck stop on the road.

I would make this a priority.  Not knowing what is causing the leak could lead to a blow out.  May be as simple as a valve stem but could be a screw/bolt/foreign  object in the tire that could dislodge going down the road and cause an instant deflation putting the other tire in jeopardy.   

On my last trip I met an individual who just suffered a blow out of both rear tires on passenger side.  The first one went and before he could pull over the second one let lose.  

Absolutely get that tire taken care of immediately. Until you know why it's leaking, it's an accident waiting to happen. I've had two blowouts. The first one did no damage other than to my nerves and that of my DW. The second took out a bunch of wiring and the hose to the driver's side rear slide. After waiting 3 hours for the replacement tire, I had to drive almost 100 miles with the rear slide out to get it fixed. Don't take a chance. Get it fixed.....Dennis

3 hours ago, Chargerman said:

The new Camco Extreme they just came out with will fit in a 4” storage sleeve

I looked it up, but it is not clear how the hose connecter will both fit inside 4" and at the same time fit over the existing dump valve.  Do they have an adapter that fits on the dump valves to reduce it to a smaller connector on the hose? 

6 hours ago, waterskier_1 said:

I looked it up, but it is not clear how the hose connecter will both fit inside 4" and at the same time fit over the existing dump valve.  Do they have an adapter that fits on the dump valves to reduce it to a smaller connector on the hose? 

I don’t know the details of the design other than the fact that they state that it will fit in a 4” tube.  I saw them at a camp store the other day but I didn’t open the box