2005 Monaco Executive - Feed Back is it worth the buy..

M.J.

The 05 Executive you are looking at is the Baby Sister to the 05 Exec that I had. Same paint scheme and Floor plan. The only exceptions are my Exec was a 45 footer and had the DD60 engine. Sold the coach in 2018 after we purchased our Foretravel. It was a great coach and served us well for aver 12 years. My wife Sandy wanted to move up to a bath and a half coach and the only replacement that we found that coul replace the Exec was the Foretravel.

I can go into a lot of details in this post but I would rather you call me and I can answer any questions you might have.

My cell number is 321-427-6909 and you may call any time.

I included a picture of our 05 Exec.

Look forward to speaking with you.

131018_0001.jpg

On 3/11/2023 at 1:54 AM, MJ.STIGER said:

1st off thank you for accepting me in the community. Been hunting these forums for ideas and discovery as i look at a used unit. 

I am looking at used 1 owner 2005 Monaco Executive w 135k ... Asking price is 80k. Is it worth it?  I know that could be a loaded question. But Year and condition wise is it with in reasonable asking price?

I have watched a ton of videos and browsed through this forum. Educating my self on things i should be looking for good and bad. In my inspection of this coach i think it very well taken care of unit. I will list the things i found that are cons if you will. And then the positives. Would like to hear your feedback if you have any good or bad. I am no Coach inspector by any means but good at lots of things. 

- Rear Tail Light Cracked

- Black Paint Checking

- Milage 135k

- 10k Onan with 3000hrs

Here are the options and things i found in my walk throughs. 

1 - piece roof no seams (a wind detector for awning has silicone needs to be replaced with Dicor)

- Tires Date code 2021

- Carpet replaced in clean condition

- Shocks replaced

- Norco Refrigerator replaced

- Roadmaster S- Series Chassis

- All storage areas Clean + Passthrough slide out tray

- No signs of water damage in any cabinets or next to refrigerator

- Slide Seals look to be in good condition and no puddles or sign of water having been sit on the slide outs. 

- 3000 watt - xantrex

- Aladdin System

- Power Reels  Water and Shore Power

-  All the Coach and Product Manuals including the full book Wiring Diagram

- No cracked counters or chips or gouges in wood interior

- Washer/Dryer Combo looks to never been used. 

- Roadmaster 9000 

- 1 Large Girard Patio and front door awning

I can post some photos on request. 

Thank you all for the comments good or bad. Looking forward to getting back to some type of RV travel. 

Don’t get caught up in mileage; that chassis, if cared for, is built for 1 million miles and the engine, if cared for, will be ready for a on frame rebuild at 500,000 miles. The focus should be on service records. Hopefully the air bags (all 10) were replaced. 

13 hours ago, MJ.STIGER said:

Thanks for all the great Response's. This group is truly amazing. 

I do like the large awning and not having a slide near the entry door. I can see the huge benefit to access the basement while the awning is out. 

Interested did you have to remove a window to get the new Fridge in?

Look at Fisher Paykel Refrigerators.  Many brands have a size that will fit thru the front door.  Remove the co pilots seat. 

On 3/11/2023 at 4:48 AM, Dr4Film said:

The price is in the reasonable range. As far as the coach and chassis, you just have to work your way through each and every nook & cranny, each system, electrical and mechanical, etc. That may take you a few days. My first Class-A I spent two full days going through it. My first Monaco which was only one year or so old I spent one full day due to its age and the seller's use and knowledge of it. The Dynasty, I could & should have spent at least two full days.

I hired a "certified" NRVIA inspector to inspect my Dynasty before purchase which was a waste of money. In retrospect I should have done in myself as I had more experience with Monaco coaches than he will ever have. Lesson learned.

Remember that there are four main electrical systems, shore power, generator power, Inverter power all of which provide 120 VAC along with 12 VDC power. Two water systems, shore and water pump. Don't forget about solar power.

The thermal checking was very common in many years of Monaco coaches, so you won't get away from that especially in the dark black areas.

What do you mean by thermal checking?

This is starting to sounds like my BMW motorcycle forum about Oils.  😀. I hear you all on all fronts. 

David, Thanks for the reach out. I would be more than happy to reach out. Let me know when are good times. Not sure i have much more for questions but i bet i can come up with some.  Appreciate  Feed back. 

2 hours ago, grizzly said:

What do you mean by thermal checking?

Here are four photos of my previous Windsor which has Thermal Checking in various places.

The most severe area was the entry door, photo #1.

I used Black Velvet Paste Wax which would cover it up for a short time.

One of the major reasons when I decided to upgrade to the 2006 Dynasty Countess III was for the exterior color scheme it had, ""Man's Best Friend." You have to look hard for the very little Thermal Checking that is there.

Thermal Checking-01.JPG

Thermal Checking-02.JPG

Thermal Checking-03.JPG

Thermal Checking-04.JPG

2006 Dynasty-3.jpg

2006 Dynasty-8.jpg

22 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Here are four photos of my previous Windsor which has Thermal Checking in various places.

The most severe area was the entry door, photo #1.

I used Black Velvet Paste Wax which would cover it up for a short time.

One of the major reasons when I decided to upgrade to the 2006 Dynasty Countess III was for the exterior color scheme it had, ""Man's Best Friend." You have to look hard for the very little Thermal Checking that is there.

Thermal Checking-01.JPG

Thermal Checking-02.JPG

Thermal Checking-03.JPG

Thermal Checking-04.JPG

2006 Dynasty-3.jpg

2006 Dynasty-8.jpg

That's what I thought you meant. Thanks. Yea I have it on my 07 sig in black areas only. None in the red or gold areas

Always wondered what caused it now I know

On 3/11/2023 at 3:55 PM, MJ.STIGER said:

No Problem just wanted some of your feedback. I think i have done a bit of research on repairs and such. That i feel comfortable going into it for sure. I am good with many things and if their is a schematic i can figure it out. Little up front cost to spruce it up. Like new sofa and changing bed from Queen to King. 

And other little things new display head unit, side cameras to start. Then getting a flat tow setup.

Down the road would be having the black repainted so the looks fresh and remove carpet and tile it all the way through. And upgrade refrigerator to house style. And that is about it out side of up keep and maintenance. 

Oh Solar for sure Might make it to the top of the list. Have lots of solar stuff from my business. I would like to go that route 1st. But i am sure i will want to add more batteries for storage. Will just roll with what i got for now. 

Will keep all posted look forward to road ahead. 

I would say the price is right and since you got a chance to look at it in person I would start with a fluid analysis as that is your greatest risk IMO at this point. If it shows issues there is no reason to pay additional money for the rest of the coach inspection IMO. If it is good then, personally I would just verify the AC units, Aquahot, slides and move on based on what you have seen so far. Budget some money for stuff that will pop up regardless if you have it inspected or not.

Also if you are going to buy it and replace the carpet with tile I would consider heated tile. 

If you want to upgrade the norco fridge consider the amish conversion as that would be a bit less involved over adding an entire new residential refrigerator. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Grey Goose said:

I would say the price is right and since you got a chance to look at it in person I would start with a fluid analysis as that is your greatest risk IMO at this point. If it shows issues there is no reason to pay additional money for the rest of the coach inspection IMO. If it is good then, personally I would just verify the AC units, Aquahot, slides and move on based on what you have seen so far. Budget some money for stuff that will pop up regardless if you have it inspected or not.

Also if you are going to buy it and replace the carpet with tile I would consider heated tile. 

If you want to upgrade the norco fridge consider the amish conversion as that would be a bit less involved over adding an entire new residential refrigerator. 

I replaced my Norcold with a new one back in about 2006 or so, before I was aware of the recall, but I still am not totally comfortable with it.
I have looked at the compressor conversions, either AC or DC.  Any experience with those?  I don't really want to swap out the whole unit, as it's cosmetically like new.

5 minutes ago, dl_racing427 said:

I replaced my Norcold with a new one back in about 2006 or so, before I was aware of the recall, but I still am not totally comfortable with it.
I have looked at the compressor conversions, either AC or DC.  Any experience with those?  I don't really want to swap out the whole unit, as it's cosmetically like new.

Beauty's only skin deep, yeah, yeah, yeah.

Gary 05 AMB DST

I replaced our Norcold with a Samsung RF18.  The delivery crew took the doors off and the bottom drawer out and it went right in through the front door.  

Getting the old Norcold out was almost the same thing.  

1 hour ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

Beauty's only skin deep, yeah, yeah, yeah.

Gary 05 AMB DST

I already had to rebuild the cabinet once, and I don't want to do that again.
I only use this unit for relatively short-term trips, and I don't need a massive amount of cold storage.

If the conversion works, and is reliable, I think it would be the best choice for me.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.
That Exec looks like a nice coach, and a good deal for the price.

Edited by dl_racing427

The RF18 looks like a decent unit. Might be something to look forward to changing. 

Also like the idea of heated tile. I wish i could find the exact same tile thats in there now. i know that would be a long shot. They do have 5 pieces of left over stock in the rear closet. But not enough to go from the kitchen to the entry. 

Tile adds a lot of extra weight to the coach versus engineered wood type flooring. Plus, title is very susceptible to cracks and breakage.

If it were me, I would remove the existing tile and replace it all with wood like flooring.

Ernie Ekberg is our resident flooring expert. Ask him what his opinion would be for your situation.

Tons of great advice pros/cons, my 2 cents is check the drivetrain, airbags, u-joints, shocks, brake lining and all associated brakes parts, airlines, etc.  like mentioned above having a good sized budget for repairs/preventative maintenance, like having all engine water hoses, belts etc. items that would leave you on the side if the road replaced.

Do what your gut says!

Good luck and safe travels.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it was worth buying. Worked on the paperwork today. Have a small list of repairs for them to take care of before i get the keys to that old Coach. 

Got conformation that they have done :

- Chassis Inspection

- Oli Change

-Gen Oil / fuel filter 

List of todo's - Replace some Light bulbs interior, CO detector, 1 Dock light, Replace wrong silicone on roof w/Dicor, Passanger seat stopped working plug came apart. Worked on other visits. And a Detail Inside and Out. Told them it was unacceptable for delivery. 

Looking forward to receiving it soon. 

Congratulations! You are getting a great coach at a very reasonable price. A few years back I had looked at a 2005 Exec with a DD engine on consignment, but it had been abused and the owner was not willing to compromise so I walked away. It was a Blessing in disguise as I ended up with exactly what I wanted last year when I purchased the 06 Dynasty Countess III.

Congratulations! You are getting a great coach at a very reasonable price. A few years back I had looked at a 2005 Exec with a DD engine on consignment, but it had been abused and the owner was not willing to compromise so I walked away. It was a Blessing in disguise as I ended up with exactly what I wanted last year when I purchased the 06 Dynasty Countess III.

Thank you all. I look forward to it. Yea there are a couple of things that need to be addressed. But nothing Major that will keep it going down the road for sure. 

My next is to figure if the current Brakemaster 9000 that is installed on the coach will run an Air Force One unit for flat tow? of if i will need to change things out. Hoping that the coach side is good that i can put an Demco AirForce one in the tow vehicle. 

4 minutes ago, MJ.STIGER said:

Thank you all. I look forward to it. Yea there are a couple of things that need to be addressed. But nothing Major that will keep it going down the road for sure. 

My next is to figure if the current Brakemaster 9000 that is installed on the coach will run an Air Force One unit for flat tow? of if i will need to change things out. Hoping that the coach side is good that i can put an Demco AirForce one in the tow vehicle. 

I don’t know a lot about the Brakemaster 9000….but I did a lot of research on the M&G as opposed to the AirForceOne .  Both the AirForceOne and the M&G require “air” from the MH.  M&G does not recommend or include the “isolation” kit that AirForceOne supplies,  basically, thr AirforceOne one system is a small air reserved or reservoir that is some how metered out at the same (If in I read the install correctly) PSI that is going to the rear brakes.  However, if there was a blowout of the M&G line, then you will have a reduced braking supply on the MH.  The debate is whether you really need it or a “marketing” ploy.

Bottom line, installing the air tap for the M&G is quite simple….add a T and out the small 1/4” hose in a protective length of 1/2” “air hose.  AirForceOne is more involved as you have to “cut” a line and then plumb in the canister or holding (pressurized) tank.  But in the end…apply service brakes and you get air out of the fitting to the system.

The M&G is designed and ported to yiur specific vehicle…so no tinkering or adjusting.  The AirforceOne has an onboard controller and you adjust based on vehicle weight and pedal travel and where you have electric or vacuum assisted.

I don’t quite understand how an upstream system would supply the air,,,but all either AirForceOne or M&G needs is AIR….and it is full line pressure from the MH…

On 3/25/2023 at 10:03 PM, MJ.STIGER said:

Well it was worth buying. Worked on the paperwork today. Have a small list of repairs for them to take care of before i get the keys to that old Coach. 

Got conformation that they have done :

- Chassis Inspection

- Oli Change

-Gen Oil / fuel filter 

List of todo's - Replace some Light bulbs interior, CO detector, 1 Dock light, Replace wrong silicone on roof w/Dicor, Passanger seat stopped working plug came apart. Worked on other visits. And a Detail Inside and Out. Told them it was unacceptable for delivery. 

Looking forward to receiving it soon. 

Wow, congratulations on what I think is a great coach!

My 05 Exec is different than yours but I would not sell mine for $80K

I am a little surprised at the comments about the 3000 hour generator being higher time.  I am more concerned with low time units than I would be a 3000 hour diesel Onan.  It might need a set of brushes installed about now and maybe a fan belt but beyond that, should be good to go a very long time.  You can put both the brushes and belt on yourself.  

I would rather have the ISM-11 (which I think this coach has) than the ISX.  

Well done, great find!

Will B.