Starting the engines after not running for 18 months

Go to solution Solved by vito.a,

Our rig has been in storage in Central Florida for the last 18 months, without either the ISL 400 or the generator having been started. I did put Biobor in the full diesel tank and drive it a bit before storing. What steps should I take in starting these engines after such a long time in storage? Thanks for your help!

I cycle key multiple time to make sure the transfer pump is priming the filters and injector pump.  Turn it over a couple times without starting to help prime the oil pump.  Then try to start. 

Did you store with a full tank of fuel to reduce chances of condensation.  Either way I'd have several sets of filters handy.

• Solution

Check the oil level on both the generator and main engine first. 

Then  start the generator.  After 2 min turn on one of the A/C units to load it.  Run it for 30 min.  Then shut it down and crank the engine.  After the oil pressure comes up put it into fast idle and bring the temperature up to 180 or so.  

Turn on the dash A/C, cycle the trans into D and R then back to neutral.  Press the brake pedal a couple of times.  

If all tire pressures are good, drive it to see if the tires have developed flat spots. 

Good luck! 

28 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

I cycle key multiple time to make sure the transfer pump is priming the filters and injector pump.  Turn it over a couple times without starting to help prime the oil pump.  Then try to start. 

Apparently these engines won't fire unless they 'see' sufficient oil pressure.

I wouldn't be able to do what you suggest. My engine is usually running within a couple of revolutions of the crankshaft!

Thanks for all the help! To answer the questions so far, yes, it was stored with a full tank of diesel, with Biobor added. I have one set of spare engine fuel filters, which I'll have with us in the rig. I don't have other spare filters. The rear brakes weren't caged, I just learned about caging from your reply. And thanks for the good luck wish, I expect I'll need it!

My 2000 Diplomat stood idle and unmoved go a similar length of time while our daughter lived in it after her divorce, it started 1st turn of the key. I was also able to drive it off its campsite without any brake binding, though it had been parked with completely dry brakes.