3 new Dometic Penguins

2004 Dynasty Diamond 4

Just installed three new Dometic Penguins  and  their  corresponding thermostat. Other than getting  them on the roof it was a pretty easy install. One of the ACs was considerably louder than the other 2 By about 10 decibels. (Free Sound Decible Meter on Play Store) 

I pulled the outer shround, removed the styrofoam fan cover, and then the hard plastic fan cover. I could see where the squirrel cage was rubbing on the hard cover.  Loosened the set screw holding the squirrel cage to the motor shaft, moved it in about 3/16 of an inch, tightened the set screw, reattached everything and no more noise caused by the squirrel cage rubbing on the shroud.

Hopefully will help others with a similar issue. 

• Like 1

It took me three tries to get a mostly undamaged unit during covid from Amazon. Great return policy but they just did a refund and I had to reorder. The reorder, within days found a $300 increase in price. They made that good too.

The third one had a cracked shroud but they wanted me to return the whole thiing. I found a great workaround for that too and got my replacement shroud.

What an ordeal. Spent $600 for a portable AC to survive the hot Summer in Florida. Could not travel out of the heat so was stuck. 

10 hours ago, TOBYLB4 said:

Where did you get the a/c units? I'm getting ready to replace all 3 ony 07 Dynasty Queen. 

Home Depot with a 10 percent discount.

9 hours ago, vito.a said:

Wow you just discovered a new way to troubleshoot these units.  

Smart!

Any issues getting the furnace/Aqua Hot working on the new CC2?

No, did you?

10 minutes ago, Paul A. said:

I would comment that Microair is not longer giving direct phone support.  I tried to contact them for another member who was having problems.  I had talked to them quite extensively about 2 years ago.  The TRICK of getting their thermostats to work, and many know this, is that the NEW penguins MUST have their control modules CORRECTLY configured.  In addition, as we have found out, certain Dynasty and upper ends have hidden zones....so if your EXISTING thermostat has a Zone 4 for the furnace, you MUST purchase the correct (there is a topic on this...do a search) the correct stand alone controller and program it.

The Microair system, and this is an OPINION, is really designed to be a replacement for an existing, WORKING thermostat.  When I asked technical questions about the modules and the zones and the settings, there was silence for tech support.  He said...we assume that your system WAS working and we can provide a thermostat for that. We do NOT know how to help you troubleshoot if there are problems, NOT in the thermostat, with your system. 

BUT, many folks are using.....just a comment from their tech support....when they WERE accepting phone calls.  Right now, Microair is pushing their soft start module and when you call in and try to get to Tech Support, you get a 4 minute commercial on how it will fit everything.  I was totally disappointed based on the conversation that I had a year or so ago...

Thanks for the Information. I will do the search, my controlers both work now. Rear has 2 zones and front has 1 zone. Front A/C died in November in Ca. so thinking I will just replace all 3.

Thanks for all the help.

Toby

42 minutes ago, TOBYLB4 said:

Thanks for the Information. I will do the search, my controlers both work now. Rear has 2 zones and front has 1 zone. Front A/C died in November in Ca. so thinking I will just replace all 3.

Thanks for all the help.

Toby

Just to be specific.  If you do NOT have a Zone 4 showing up on a thermostat, then a simple 3 unit swap and new thermostat should work.  The issue we addressed was with a 2008.  You would have to look at your print…for the HVAC units and if it does NOT, have a AC Brain or is labeled as Zone 4, you are OK. BUT….beware….even Monaco GOOFED and did not properly program the hidden Zone 4 thermostat….and one member found the issue and corrected it.  

I attached the specific print for the 08….and I can’t tell if some of the later 07’ had it.  I know that one “stranded” 07 was revised to an 08 due to model shift…and it had the 4th zone,  

I would carefully read the following topic.  There is a picture of the hidden controller.  If you don’t have one….great.  But if you find it and you don’t see Zone 4….it takes 2 minutes to fix and then you will see the zone 4 heating….and when you upgrade, you will need the fourth controller.

When you buy or install a new Penguin, it now comes with an updated or “smart” controller.  Therefore, you can not put in a new Penquin with a smart controller….and it will not work in your 5 button thermostat system.  You can swap out (but keep it) the controller in s new penguin and install a special “dumbed down” control module.  Then that new penguin will operate with the old 5 button thermostat.  Typically, the replacement controller will take a tech an hour or so to install as there is a little bit, I’m told’ more than just swapping wires and such.  BUT the instructions are supposedly clear. So, if you spend $200 - $250 for,the controller and an hour of tech labor, then you are out say $400.  Then when you upgrade the final one, you pay another hour to reinstall the original new “smart” controller….that is $500 gone, less what you can sell the used “dumbed down” controller for on eBay or locally.

Then when you get all new units, you then purchase and install and “configure” then to work with the new Penguin Dometic thermostat.  So, you have the equivalent of a newer OEM installation.  The MicroAir thermostats are more “remote” friendly and you can use a phone or such to change….plus maybe other features.

The MicroAir thermostat, direct from a conversation with their tech support….when you could call in, did NOT allow you to “mix and match” and the tech said that you MUST have a properly configured and installed system, AKA….one that works….or should work and they cannot trouble shoot the installation of a thermostat on an “untested” system as their support was for a working system..

Now, I know that we have many members with skills to install new units and also the MicroAir  thermostats….and make them work without tech support.  The recent upgrade of the Dynasty by a reputable and knowledgeable repair shop, but whose tech did not have sufficient knowledge or skills to realize that in addition to the 3 HVAC  units, there was a fourth furnace zone and that a special controller, readily available on Amazon, was needed to complete the job so that it was a NEW OEM replacement is not surprising….

We fortunately have an expert here and he figured it out, but the dealer kept saying “NO….you got a bad AquaHot”….THAT was frustrating for the member as he trusted the shop, but our advice was contrary.  In the end, he did follow the correct information here, installed it himself and it works exactly like it did new and he has the 4th zone…and fortunately, did not allow the shop or someone to trouble shoot and possibly work on an AquaHot unit that was NOT BROKEN….

Hope, if are some folks that don’t fully understand, that his helps clear it up.  But reading the topic posted above illustrates how even “good” techs that never use a print or don’t have much experience can mess up and then erroneously start to fix a unit that is NOT a broken…

Good Luck.

38071413%20%28Schematic%2C%20Dual%20Heat%20Elements%2C%20Aqua-hot%29 2.pdf