2009 Dyn Regal IV muffler replacment

Go to solution Solved by Mi Bill,

We have a Model Year 2009, DYN REGAL IV, Serial Number: 091020724593412 607216, V.I.N. 1RF14571291049284. I believe it was built in 08/2008 in Oregon. It is at Cummins for regular yearly service, and they advised the muffler is starting to rot. The muffler is oval, 10X16. It is 26 inches long, has 5” input and output openings, and is offset. Cummins advised the muffler is obsolete.

Has anyone replaced this muffler, and what is my best option? I will not be doing the work; Cummins will.

Thank you.

Bill

If you dont mind more noise outside (no difference from the driver seat) go with a flow through. I used a MBRP 2220S that I installed myself and compensated for the staggerd old muffler by adjusting the muffler brackets, Tailpipe is in about 3" from factory. 

Edited by Bliksem
spelling

17 hours ago, Mi Bill said:

We have a Model Year 2009, DYN REGAL IV, Serial Number: 091020724593412 607216, V.I.N. 1RF14571291049284. I believe it was built in 08/2008 in Oregon. It is at Cummins for regular yearly service, and they advised the muffler is starting to rot. The muffler is oval, 10X16. It is 26 inches long, has 5” input and output openings, and is offset. Cummins advised the muffler is obsolete.

Has anyone replaced this muffler, and what is my best option? I will not be doing the work; Cummins will.

Thank you.

Bill

https://shop.findmyrvparts.com/monaco-rv-muffler-oval-86147M-p/190099.htm

OK….we really need to know WHICH engine you have.  The ISX & ISL do not, from what i was told, have a MUFFLER….the DPF is the muffler.  It is my understanding that the ISM DOES have a muffler,  i started this an hour ago….

Start looking on line or find a OTR truck shop or a heavy duty muffler shop.  Even Amazon sells them.  I used the following….

motor home muffler 5" in out

I got many hits.  You don’t specifically need an exact fit.  Cummins typically is not much of a “OMG” need something to make this work.

Get the Cummins PN.  Then start calling Muffler (HD Truck vendors) vendors and then narrow it down.  Get the exact dimensions and a few pictures.  I can’t recall, but on the ISL, maybe the bigger engine also, there was, in 2008, a fancy welded shield or SS tailpipe.  Pitiful design, per a knowledgeable member, and he has had to weld and reinforce his.

Start doing your own leg work and finding a good replacement and a “repair’ shop will save you money.  In the unlikely event, you do NOT need a DPF…..then still use the link below.  Thus vendor has a variety mufflers and different “Types” …there are 10 or so different types…so with your dimensions and pictures and such….match one up….as to where the inlet is and the outlet is….as well as the approximate shape and size.

Under each different “type”, there is maybe 20 different sizes and offsets and such in a chart….don’t know about the other types….so do the research….

https://www.truckpipesusa.com/categories/mufflers/type-2-end-in-end-out-offset-ends.html

https://www.truckpipesusa.com/products/4352923nx-cummins-ism-isl-engine-diesel-particulate-filter-dpf.html

Edited by Tom Cherry
OP clarified engine type. ISM has Muffler. ISL & ISX do not as DPF is the Muffler

I replaced my oem muffler with a Walker 22552 from Amazon for $185.xx, it was an exact fit on my 05 Dynasty with the ISL, obviously an 09 might have a different muffler configuration with an after treatment system, and yes, more engine information would be helpful.

The previous owner had backed up against something and forced the rear mudflap up into the muffler partially crushing it was why I replaced mine and the new muffler actually looked less restricted internally than the original, I’m sure Walker was looking for ways to cut costs and still produce a replacement with an acceptable noise level.

One more bit of advice, when/if you replace your muffler yourself, if you use “band” type pipe clamps go to a heavy duty truck parts house and get good quality clamps, if you have access to a good 3/8” impact gun tighten the clamps as tight as possible and then again after a few hundred miles. Jmo.

Edited by Jdw12345

When my muffler rusted, I replaced my entire exhaust system with pipe and clamps from a local truck parts vendor.
I just left the muffler off and went straight pipe.  The only part I reused was the stainless tailpipe.
The turbo takes most of the edge off the sound, and the only time I can even hear a difference at the driver's seat is when passing a wall or in a tunnel to reflect the sound.

Guest Ray Davis
39 minutes ago, dl_racing427 said:

When my muffler rusted, I replaced my entire exhaust system with pipe and clamps from a local truck parts vendor.
I just left the muffler off and went straight pipe.  The only part I reused was the stainless tailpipe.
The turbo takes most of the edge off the sound, and the only time I can even hear a difference at the driver's seat is when passing a wall or in a tunnel to reflect the sound.

Almost exactly what I did,  except I did put on an Aero muffler.   It was several yrs ago when Bill D ( RIP ) & several others were installing those mufflers.  It's probably just about as loud as your straight pipe.  Like you,  anymore I only hear it when passing a wall or something.  I haven't even had anyone comment about it.

• Solution

Thank you to everyone that replied.

I found two mufflers that were almost direct replacements. Donaldson M120225 and Nelson 86147M. They both had the exact dimensions. I decided to go with Nelson because it was about half the cost of the Donaldson. I ordered it on 05/17/2023 through Truck Pipe USA, Ocala, FL, and had it shipped directly to Cummins in Clinton Twp., MI, where the coach is for repairs. According to the tracking information, it should be at Cummins today. Once installed, I’ll comment on the noise factor.

Thanks

Bill

I did try for a direct replacement but “supply chain issues” made it unavailable before a planned trip so I opted for what was available and would fit.

I didn’t remove the original muffler mounts so it would be easy to change back if I decide to.

On 5/19/2023 at 7:02 AM, Mi Bill said:

Thank you to everyone that replied.

I found two mufflers that were almost direct replacements. Donaldson M120225 and Nelson 86147M. They both had the exact dimensions. I decided to go with Nelson because it was about half the cost of the Donaldson. I ordered it on 05/17/2023 through Truck Pipe USA, Ocala, FL, and had it shipped directly to Cummins in Clinton Twp., MI, where the coach is for repairs. According to the tracking information, it should be at Cummins today. Once installed, I’ll comment on the noise factor.

Thanks

Bill

Everyone you drive by thanks you for not straight piping it :-)

Will

• Haha 1