Carefree Of Colorado One Touch Awning

My awning motor went bad after the awning is extended and I can't retract it. Power to the switch & motor is fine, so I need to replace the motor. It is a One Touch Black Motor (not silver motor). COC gave me the Part# R00914. Anyone have a spare motor hanging around or know where I can get one for this awning?

I was able to get mine to retract by "helping it".  I stood on a stepstool and started rolling it up and the motor sort of kept up, but didn't have the power to actually move the awning by itself.  I still haven't replaced my motor as we rarely use the awning and I have some items a little higher on my "to do" list.

Tony:

Take the motor off and take it to a local auto parts store.

It's probably an automotive window motor.

Our Monacoers parts list has a motor listed as: Dorman 742-141 available at auto parts stores.  O'Reilly had one in stock, when I needed one in Ventura California.  You can usually check the website of the auto parts store to see if they have stock in a local store.

I bought one and it works great on my Carefree Eclipse.  Don't know for sure if it fits yours, but I do suggest taking it to an auto parts store and see if they can match it.

Or you may find the Dorman part number on the motor . . .

Dwight

On my 2002 Windsor with the Carefree One Touch awning they used a bayonet twist/lock type connector on the outside, it had very small contacts that would get corroded.  Awning would quit working, I'd disconnect the connector, put back the connector and it would work for a while.  Finally wouldn't work during a high wind thunderstorm that came up quick, had to crawl on roof to disconnect then reconnect. 

Got home and took the connector off and tried to get a replacement, COC said discontinued part. 

So I just gutted the connector with a large enough hole in both pieces to be able to pull wires through and put butt connectors on the wires.  To make a water tight seal I used rubber tape and formed a tapered plug so that when I put the outer piece back on it compressed the rubber seal. 

Have not had another problem with the awning not working, it is faster.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jacwjames said:

So I just gutted the connector with a large enough hole in both pieces to be able to pull wires through and put butt connectors on the wires. 

Have not had another problem with the awning not working, it is faster.

Greaaat . . . . another project.  Mine's slow and slack in the awning while rolling up. 

Thanks for the tip,

- bob

Darn, ok I replaced mine because the shaft was spinning.  If yours is like mine, the shaft that connects to the awning is round with a flat spot. That is the only thing keeping from unraveling.   That eventually rounds out on the edge’s.    (mine opened on the road with very high side winds, not fun)

I drilled through the flat spot of the shaft and put a small grade 8 bolt through, that will not happen again.    The motor as mentioned above is nothing more than a window motor.  

Regarding the wiring I hollowed out the connector and ran new wires through which increased power.  Cut the wires offset to make it easy to feed through 

I can pics when I return home tomorrow if you need them  

4 hours ago, Gweedo said:

Darn, ok I replaced mine because the shaft was spinning.  If yours is like mine, the shaft that connects to the awning is round with a flat spot. That is the only thing keeping from unraveling.   That eventually rounds out on the edge’s.    (mine opened on the road with very high side winds, not fun)

Same thing happened to us!

Awning was damaged enough to replace the whole unit.

From what I've read, the next generation units have two flats on the shaft, making them less likely to round the edges.

My awning isn’t working either. I can’t find any information that shows how to access the wiring from tha power source to the controller or from the awning controller to the awning itself. If one of you have pictures that would help me I would appreciate it if you could post these.

I have a Dynasty Countess lll 2005 MotorHome.

Thanks,

Bob

My controller is under the front dash, passenger side.  I can access it (barely) by removing a small switch panel above the awning control. 

Earlier this year (?) another member was having a similar problem as to slow/no response from awning when pressing button.  Determined it was voltage drop.  He ended up running a new power supply to the control board and that solved his problem. 

My issue was the connector through the wall, the connections were weathered, I replaced the connector with wires connectors.  hollowed the fitting, cut the wires offset so they would fit.  Awning worked much better, bit it's still slow, although I do have a 4' shade attached, so they will do it.  It would be nice to know what size wire is feeding it, may be just too small, but I have other priorities first 

mhwire1.jpg

Had a problem with mine - no motor movement.  I finally figured out it was the switch.  Operated the switch several times and it finally made contact. Now when I go in, I leave the key off and operate the switch once in a while - no problem since I started that.

As advised by ShadePro, I also keep the awning lubricated which takes strain off the motor.

I have a friend with Carefree awning that extends fine but will only retract about 6 or 8 inches from anywhere it is stopped.  I.e. extend it a foot, it'll come back a little with the retract button before the motor turns off.  Extend it all the way, the retract button rolls it up just a little before the motor stops.  So I think it isn't a limit switch set for the wrong closed position as it will start to retract from any extended position, just only a few inches and not all the way.  We're able to wind it up manually.  It doesn't appear to have any unusual friction drag.

Mine would do the same thing, go out OK but would not come in. 

I removed the connector mounted on the side of the coach, gutted it and drilled a large enough hole through it so I could just run the wire in use butt connectors to join the two wires together.  Pretty much solved the problem but I still have to lubricate the arms to make it easier for the motor to work in/out.