Girard Awning Fabric Replacement

Go to solution Solved by SkyKingII,

Has anyone replaced the fabric on a Girard awning lately?   I haven't been able to locate any sources on-line other than Lippert/Girard.   

I need to replace the fabric on the entry door awning.

I plan on contacting Lippert tomorrow.

Thanks!

I THINK that my Camelot was Stone Vos AKA @throgmartin company’s first “Monaco” vinyl slide toppers.  If not….maybe a Beta or early switch to Vinyl. Many of the custom bus conversions I think had been using them.  I lose track, but mine were imstslled in 2015 and are as good as the first day….today.  No issues and no tearing and no seams splitting….

On 7/23/2023 at 9:24 AM, LakeBob said:

Has anyone replaced the fabric on a Girard awning lately?   I haven't been able to locate any sources on-line other than Lippert/Girard.   

I need to replace the fabric on the entry door awning.

I plan on contacting Lippert tomorrow.

Thanks!

Stone Voss, the ONLY place to go! Untarnished reputation. I've been there for a number of items including replacement of all awnings and slideout covers. Check out their website and you'll clearly understand why they are recommended consistently on this forum.

Gary K, 2006 Windsor

• Solution

Bob,As other members have said I would agree that Stone Vos is the place to get your toppers and awnings replaced. Call Chris Throgmartin I had him replace all four of my toppers 8-10 years ago on my Diplomat and had local guy install,you won't deal with a more honest and honorable Man than ChrisT. They really pay attention to quality control and stand behind what they do and say. My toppers are still in excellant shape,no tears no rotted threads and I live in Sun City Az,we get to test Mother natures sun and these have stood up very well, today we are suppost to hit 116 today,down from 118 this weekend! You will enjoy doing business with Chris and his staff,a Class-Act that we don't always see in the RV business.Absolutely do not be afraid to take his recommendations and advise he is one of the most knowledgable and honest people you will have the pleasure of dealing with,people like him are hard to find,he will treat you well,you will have no reason to look elsewhere,I know an awful lot of people on this forum respect Chris'opinions and recommendations. Bob I hope this helps you to decide who's gonna make your Toppers,I appreciate their quality work every time I put my slides in and out!!

Bruce E,Crocker

2004Diplomat 40PDQ

• Like 2

Bob:

Your post brings back some painful days when I owned Stone Vos. I can remember the very first Girard patio awning fabric replacement I did. It was for a member here, Ron Jones. The first time he put it out it blew the seams apart. I did the awning again and it blew the seams.  It took over a year for me to figure out the way Girard sews their patio awning fabric. Johnny, the previous owner and President of Girard was a friend of mine and when we were at an event together one night he finally told me how ther were sewn ( he had too much to drink that night ) 🙂

Girard patio awning fabric has a very special taper to it - side to side. Once I learned the formula I cranked out Girard awnings left and right with precision. The same held true for Zip Dee's. ( Talking about a major headache ). The Zip Dee's are the hardest of any awning fabric to make. It took me a year to perfect them and thousands of dollars. They are so difficult that today Stone Vos is the only aftermarket company that makes Zip Dee fabric replacements. As a back story to the Zip Dee's I perfected the fabric replacements with a member here. He was gracious enough to allow me to experiment on his Monaco coach. It was a real chore as I was striving for perfection. I finally conquered the monster. The Monaco member was patient - Thank God.

Paul, you really need to research some of these companies and their products before recommending them. You could really cost people money. Tough Top's sells vinyl fabric replacements only. They do not offer acrylic ( canvas ) products. Vinyl weighs almost 2 times more then what an acrylic patio awning fabric weighs. The vast majority of automatic patio awnings cannot handle vinyl fabric. The weight is very hard on motors and will over tax them. Most automatic awnings struggle with light weight acrylic/canvas fabrics. There are a few automatic awnings made with vinyl fabric but the vinyl is real cheap and lightweight.

One other issue I want to bring up is the acrylic fabric itself. Back in the day Sunbrella was the gold standard. If you were a boater at any time you know the name and the quality back then. That quality has sailed off into the sunset. They have shifted a lot of the production to textile mills in China and also cheapened the formula for the fabric itself. It now stretches terribly and fades. It is a shame Glen Raven ( the manufacturer ) did this with Sunbrella but when they cornered the market they cheapened the product. Their downward spiral started in 2009. I was the first in the country to import and use Sattler fabric which is manufactured in Germany. It is the highest quality fabric on the market because they use Turkish fibers and are a vertical company. Their fabric is also woven to prevent stretching. The finish ( UV inhibitors ) are also top of the line. If you see a mega yacht in the Mediterranean, chances are it has Sattler fabric or Tempotest, an Italian fabric. Shade Pro and Girard still use Sunbrella.

26 minutes ago, throgmartin said:

Bob:

Your post brings back some painful days when I owned Stone Vos. I can remember the very first Girard patio awning fabric replacement I did. It was for a member here, Ron Jones. The first time he put it out it blew the seams apart. I did the awning again and it blew the seams.  It took over a year for me to figure out the way Girard sews their patio awning fabric. Johnny, the previous owner and President of Girard was a friend of mine and when we were at an event together one night he finally told me how ther were sewn ( he had too much to drink that night ) 🙂

Girard patio awning fabric has a very special taper to it - side to side. Once I learned the formula I cranked out Girard awnings left and right with precision. The same held true for Zip Dee's. ( Talking about a major headache ). The Zip Dee's are the hardest of any awning fabric to make. It took me a year to perfect them and thousands of dollars. They are so difficult that today Stone Vos is the only aftermarket company that makes Zip Dee fabric replacements. As a back story to the Zip Dee's I perfected the fabric replacements with a member here. He was gracious enough to allow me to experiment on his Monaco coach. It was a real chore as I was striving for perfection. I finally conquered the monster. The Monaco member was patient - Thank God.

Paul, you really need to research some of these companies and their products before recommending them. You could really cost people money. Tough Top's sells vinyl fabric replacements only. They do not offer acrylic ( canvas ) products. Vinyl weighs almost 2 times more then what an acrylic patio awning fabric weighs. The vast majority of automatic patio awnings cannot handle vinyl fabric. The weight is very hard on motors and will over tax them. Most automatic awnings struggle with light weight acrylic/canvas fabrics. There are a few automatic awnings made with vinyl fabric but the vinyl is real cheap and lightweight.

One other issue I want to bring up is the acrylic fabric itself. Back in the day Sunbrella was the gold standard. If you were a boater at any time you know the name and the quality back then. That quality has sailed off into the sunset. They have shifted a lot of the production to textile mills in China and also cheapened the formula for the fabric itself. It now stretches terribly and fades. It is a shame Glen Raven ( the manufacturer ) did this with Sunbrella but when they cornered the market they cheapened the product. Their downward spiral started in 2009. I was the first in the country to import and use Sattler fabric which is manufactured in Germany. It is the highest quality fabric on the market because they use Turkish fibers and are a vertical company. Their fabric is also woven to prevent stretching. The finish ( UV inhibitors ) are also top of the line. If you see a mega yacht in the Mediterranean, chances are it has Sattler fabric or Tempotest, an Italian fabric. Shade Pro and Girard still use Sunbrella.

Chris, thank you for the comprehensive history of Stone Vos!  Really appreciate the overview of the current state of affairs of canvas materials, unfortunately a sad story I'm hearing over and over.  As a Sea Ray boat owner with 25-year-old Sunbrella covers, still in good condition, I miss the quality of the "old days". 

I'm working with Stone Vos to get the replacement canvas for my Girard entry door awning. 

Guest Ray Davis
12 hours ago, throgmartin said:

Your post brings back some painful days when I owned Stone Vos.

WHAT, 🥸 who owns it now?  

14 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

WHAT, 🥸 who owns it now?  

Google Stone Vos and Talin RV and Talin Manufacturing....here the final excerpt from the ABOUT US... for Talin Manufacturing.  

That all I know....so that is ALL I KNOW... 

THROGMARTIN HOLDINGS IS THE PARENT COMPANY OF STONE VOS,  TALIN MANUFACTURING AND TALIN RV

Guest Ray Davis
22 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

Google Stone Vos and Talin RV and Talin Manufacturing....here the final excerpt from the ABOUT US... for Talin Manufacturing.  

That all I know....so that is ALL I KNOW... 

THROGMARTIN HOLDINGS IS THE PARENT COMPANY OF STONE VOS,  TALIN MANUFACTURING AND TALIN RV

Wow,  I'm impressed,  Thanks

Dave Pratt asked me a while back to post about the latest changes to my companies. I guess now is a good time to do that to eliminate any rumors / misconceptions.

Ingrid and I were divorced a while back. We tried to keep it quiet as it was a personal affair and did not want it to effect our companies. We have a good working relationship and support each others companies. Throgmartin Holdings is now Throgmartin Capital which is a commercial property and business development company. I own the company and my daughter, Natalia is the President. Talin Group and its 2 divisions,  Talin Manufacturing and Talin RV  I also own. My son Lindy is the President. I also own Vanguard Storage Solutions and Jetstream Dynamics. Again my kid's serve as Presidents of the companies. Bethany is the Executive Vice President of all companies and runs the day to day operations for all of them. I serve as acting Chairman for all companies.

Both Lindy and Natalia are both brilliant business people. They act as advisors to me and Bethany and help steer our companies. I involve them in all large decision making processes as well as investments. I am blessed to have 2 kids who have such amazing business minds and are so customer focused. They also share my mission in providing quality products and services to our customers. When God comes to call me home, they both will take over their respective companies, properties and assets and you can be assured there will be no changes in the quality of our products or level of customer service. All of our companies have always been family run businesses  and always will be.

In regards to Stone Vos, I originally founded that company in 2006 and ran the operations until 2015 when Ingrid took over. At that time I went on and started Talin. Ingrid assumed ownership of Stone Vos in 2021 when all the companies were split up and she runs the company with the same exact standards I set years ago - Quality is always # 1 as is customer service.

My day to day job now is to fill in for tech's, assist the techs with technical advice and support our customers. Bethany does an amazing job as my VP and runs a tight ship. Her knowledge base with RV's is phenomenal and she will work as a tech on her own when needed. Between her and the kids handling everything along with a great tech staff, it allows me to spend as much time as I can hiding and staying out of their paths. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1