Cooling system flush aqua hot engine pre heat question.

I am ready to fill my system with water for the first flush after changing all hoses in the engine bay. I have the dash heat on and read to turn on the AH engine pre heat if I have it.    Well I have it, so my question is does the AH need to be running on diesel for the pre heat to circulate. I would think it would need to be up to temp before it would circulate but just checking since I do not have any experience with AH engine pre heat.  2006 Dynasty ISL 400.  Aqua Hot model  AHE-100 04S

I will be installing new thermostat. 

Just now, Dr4Film said:

Nope, the AH engine pre-heat loop has its own pump to circulate the engine coolant through the loop inside the AH boiler fluid.

OK thanks for the information, Doc so it will circulate with the switch but just not be warm unless the AH is running.

In addition, when you do not have the Aquahot PreHeat turned on (which is designed for the Aquahot boiler to heat the main engine coolant via a heat exchanger) there is coolant flowing when the main engine is running, being pumped my the main engine water pump.  So, when the engine is running, coolant is being circulated through the PreHeat heat exchanger.  You don't want to have the main engine running and the PreHeat on at the same time.  The problem is that the main engine water pump can somehow damage the PreHeat circulation pump if it is on.  

-Rick N.

20 minutes ago, waterskier_1 said:

In addition, when you do not have the Aquahot PreHeat turned on (which is designed for the Aquahot boiler to heat the main engine coolant via a heat exchanger) there is coolant flowing when the main engine is running, being pumped my the main engine water pump.  So, when the engine is running, coolant is being circulated through the PreHeat heat exchanger.  You don't want to have the main engine running and the PreHeat on at the same time.  The problem is that the main engine water pump can somehow damage the PreHeat circulation pump if it is on.  

-Rick N.

Oh wow thank you Rick!  not going to do that!

I changed all the main radiator hose’s about year or so ago and used this vacuum system to fill it back up. It worked fantastic and it eliminates air pockets in the cooling system. I had a big 5 gallon bucket and kept filling it as it was sucking the coolant back in. This way your sure coolant gets to all those hard to get areas of the system. I think I put in about 12 gallons you can’t get it all out.

6A3A995F-D3A9-466E-BD6E-DEEDC3E63620.png

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Georgia Mike said:

I changed all the main radiator hose’s about year or so ago and used this vacuum system to fill it back up. It worked fantastic and it eliminates air pockets in the cooling system. I had a big 5 gallon bucket and kept filling it as it was sucking the coolant back in. This way your sure coolant gets to all those hard to get areas of the system. I think I put in about 12 gallons you can’t get it all out.

6A3A995F-D3A9-466E-BD6E-DEEDC3E63620.png

I have a similar system to Mikes vacuum deal, called Air lift. I think it was $140.00ish.  I did the first water fill and flush and it worked awesome. I will also say that the C-Low Fab aluminum expansion tank is worth changing out to. My hoses were all junk. My small hoses all crack when bent so don't overlook those. 

Can anyone advise how many flushes of their cooling system they are doing to obtain clear or near clear water?  I have been running the coach with the dash heat on. I have flushed 6 times, coolant color is still in the water after draining. Still looks like a heavy concentrate to me. Any thoughts? 

400 ISL 

On 8/3/2023 at 1:25 PM, waterskier_1 said:

-Rick N.

YEP!  They fight each other and the engine pump wins. 

• 2 weeks later...

On an ISL you won't get proper circulation with the thermostat removed.  These engine can not be run with a thermostat removed because coolant will not properly flow through the head and block.  With the thermostat in place, 2 flushes is all you would need.