01 Dip Front Liscence Plate Thing-a-ma-jig

I'm not sure if the front plate was stolen or the paint shop never re-installed it.

I must have a front plate being in CA and all and I will get new plates on Monday at AAA.

My questions is where/what do I use for the receptacle for the screw that holds the front plate in?  I guess I could walk (not great physically at the moment) around Autozone or O'Reilly in hope but thought it more efficient to post here.

Pix tell it all. One is the front and the other is rear of the one that is still there.

delete1.JPG

delete.JPG

Thanks.

Yeah, I knew about those but they look too short for my application. Maybe in a pinch though.

47 minutes ago, hex_nut said:

Thanks.

Yeah, I knew about those but they look too short for my application. Maybe in a pinch though.

Edited by VinceB

Standard license plate bolt set uses a nylon insert into a big hole in the fiberglass.  Then, when the screw is inserted, the diameter of the screw locks the nylon into the fiberglass.  Good as it's one sided on / off.  Good as it's not metal that rusts.  Good that the fiberglass can be drilled out to insert since the old built in nuts look rusted.

Any auto parts store.

13 hours ago, VinceB said:

Went to Ace Hardware today and found an old-timer that knew his stuff.

I showed him my pix and he knew it was a jacknut - they don't have them but Amazon does.

Question now is what size.

Vince, thanks for posting this question, and thank you to everyone who responded. I noticed, when I dropped our coach off at the paint shop, that one of the bolts from the rear license plate was gone. When we bought the coach, it had the same holes as yours, but nothing in those holes, so I used the Auto Zone plastic license plate nuts on the backside and screwed the plate to them, but the vibrations of the road must have loosened the one to the point that we lost it. Now I know what the correct fasteners are called.

So, as you wrote, what size to get...

4 hours ago, FLynes said:

Vince, thanks for posting this question, and thank you to everyone who responded. I noticed, when I dropped our coach off at the paint shop, that one of the bolts from the rear license plate was gone. When we bought the coach, it had the same holes as yours, but nothing in those holes, so I used the Auto Zone plastic license plate nuts on the backside and screwed the plate to them, but the vibrations of the road must have loosened the one to the point that we lost it. Now I know what the correct fasteners are called.

So, as you wrote, what size to get...

Another question to go along with that is, do we need the special tool to first install the jacknut before attaching the license plate and bolts.

15 minutes ago, VinceB said:

Another question to go along with that is, do we need the special tool to first install the jacknut before attaching the license plate and bolts.

Probably. I just bought the kit from Amazon, and it includes the tool: https://a.co/d/6axmw9u

• Thanks 1

On 8/15/2023 at 2:05 PM, VinceB said:

Yeah, me too. Hard to go wrong for $18 and the reurn policy is great.  If not the size we need I'll buy other sizes until I land on the correct one.

I just went down to the paint shop today and installed the jack nuts, and they were a perfect fit.

IMG_2497.jpeg

43 minutes ago, FLynes said:

I just went down to the paint shop today and installed the jack nuts, and they were a perfect fit.

IMG_2497.jpeg

Yep - me too. Perfect fit - went in better than original as well.  The installation tools really make it easy.

Now what to do with the other 29 nuts and tools that I'll likely never use. I know, first world problems...

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, VinceB said:

Yep - me too. Perfect fit - went in better than original as well.  The installation tools really make it easy.

Now what to do with the other 29 nuts and tools that I'll likely never use. I know, first world problems...

It didn't have anything but the holes, when we bought the coach, so I rigged up the plastic license plate nuts in the back, but the rattling must have knocked one loose. I added some LokTite Blue, just to make sure nothing comes apart. When we get the coach back, I'll do the front plate, which will require drilling, because I don't remember holes being there, when we bought it. What I find funny is that the workers at Monaco couldn't even drill the holes evenly...my right side is a bit lower than the left one.

Edited by FLynes

2 hours ago, FLynes said:

When we get the coach back, I'll do the front plate, which will require drilling, because I don't remember holes being there, when we bought it. ...

I suggest that you put some blue tape on firmly then drill the holes - you'll get a crisper hole edge that way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VinceB said:

I suggest that you put some blue tape on firmly then drill the holes - you'll get a crisper hole edge that way.

Way ahead of you, I learned that lesson the hard way.

• Like 1