Holset HX35 TURBO REASSEMBLY PROBLEM.

Go to solution Solved by Ivan K,

• Solution

Looks like the oil seal plate. It looks like the snap ring is way too spread now, possibly from installing into the groove the wrong way? It should go on into the groove open end first so the ends don't bend open. The plate should have a slight taper, just enough to compress it for install. I know, easier said...

How about a tie-wrap with the ratchet tab broken (sort of a mini strap wrench)?  Maybe hold the tie-wrap strap wrench in place with hemostats.  Once it's started where it won't decompress release the hemostat, pull the "strap wrench" out and push it (or tap it) the rest of the way in. 

Bottom line an automotive machine shop will make it look easy, but . . . . once it's in how does it come out?

- bob

Edited by cbr046

22 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

How about a tie-wrap with the ratchet tab broken (sort of a mini strap wrench)?  Maybe hold the tie-wrap strap wrench in place with hemostats.  Once it's started where it won't decompress release the hemostat, pull the "strap wrench" out and push it (or tap it) the rest of the way in. 

Bottom line an automotive machine shop will make it look easy, but . . . . once it's in how does it come out?

- bob

He will find out soon enough if it holds  as a turbo   can spin at 100,00 RPM, - Boom! Tolerances are key to staying together.

10 hours ago, cbr046 said:

- bob

I tried the micro tie wrap twice.  Even though the tie wrap portion is only 2mm wide, the head is 3mm.  There isn't enough clearance to push the 3mm head far enough away down the circlip to engage the circlip into the taper.  My hope is that the new circlip in the rebuild kit fits tighter.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2023 at 6:14 AM, Ivan K said:

You can buy the seals separately if needed, even Amazon should have them, possibly the newer overlapping type.

My $100 Genuine Holset Rebuild Kit (made in China) arrived.  Install went well up until tapping the shaft back in with a rubber hammer.  d*** if I didn't bend the Piston Seal Ring.  I searched Amazon, and sure enough, individual seal rings are available and fairly inexpensive. I ordered 2 sets, just in case.  

11 hours ago, Robert92867 said:

My $100 Genuine Holset Rebuild Kit (made in China) arrived.  Install went well up until tapping the shaft back in with a rubber hammer.  d*** if I didn't bend the Piston Seal Ring.  I searched Amazon, and sure enough, individual seal rings are available and fairly inexpensive. I ordered 2 sets, just in case.  

I hate the little least expected complications that get us stuck in middle of a project. I don't think a hammer is the right tool for the little ring tho but I can associate with the frustration.