New Garmin RV-890 goes bonkers and gets Totally Confused….DISCUSSION.

Dr4Film

Guest Ray Davis
45 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Try not to, but it happens!

Once got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic going thru Portland for close to 5hrs due to a multi vehicle pile-up.

Did you start the generator, put the slides out, & put up a sign to wake you up?  You might need to get on the shoulder though.  🤣

We have been in a couple but not quite that long.  It'll make you wish you had stopped at that station back there.    😰 

1 hour ago, Ray Davis said:

Did you start the generator, put the slides out, & put up a sign to wake you up?   

Wish I could have!

Traffic rarely came to a complete stop. Just crawled along at a slow walking speed (transmission fluid wasn't happy about that)!

When we finally got close to the accident site, they just funneled you off an exit ramp, then your on your own.

My Rand McNally squawking in my ear to get back on the Interstate 😖! Believe that was either the second, or third time Rand was nearly flung out the window! 

Edited by 96 EVO

I did a search on the Garmin forum for "McNally".  https://forums.garmin.com/search?q=mcnally

I tried some other keywords and didn't have much luck. 

I did run across some complicated ways the might / might not be compatible with the 795.  Depending on how many addresses you need to move it might be easier one at a time.  I don't know what Garmin offers for interfacing software.  IMO they like $$ for everything. 

But don't take my word for it . . . 

- bob

• Thanks 1

96 EVO

You will really like the 795. I Purchased the 895 and have been using it for the past ten months. Lots of features including Voice Command, real time weather and traffic. It also has a split screen capability that will show you whole route progress plus the Navigation Route.

• Like 1

My primary complaint with the Garmin family is their lack of attention to map detail.  RV770 shown

GPSGarminScreen.thumb.jpg.3c65f518800000184a6bd6cffe6439d6.jpg

I also have a Street Pilot III that isn't much better, but the screen is smaller (MUCH smaller) so it makes sense to clog it up with text.  But on a big screen?  No excuse.

Here's the same screen in Google Maps in Windows OS (Android OS is identical) -

GPSGoogleScreen.thumb.jpg.19fe439168ad39db616a311f37d9db50.jpg

Showing more roads, more road names and more town names, including Juliette where the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes" was filmed. 

But I don't know a better dedicated GPS than the Garmin family.  Just wish they did a better job of showing where I was. 

- bob

Bob,

I am very satisfied with the amount of detail that is displayed on the RV890. I don't have a photo to post but will take one once we get back on the road early in November. I also use the side window that displays my selections for what is "up head".

The information displayed on the RV890 increased from using the RV760.

The RV890 is more tablet based whereas the RV760 was in the normal Garmin proprietary case.

• Like 1

I stripped our back to factory default.  That dumped all maps.  Then in a three hour + process, I hooked it to a computer and downloaded only the newest map sets.   With a clean install it is working better and smarter.   

Only time will tell if I cleaned it up enough.

2002 Monaco WIndsor ..... We use the Garmin 770 as well but we never depend on just the Garmin. We also use Waze and Google. Waze will show road closures and traffic %90 of the time. Google is helpful when I use the satellite or street view during pre planning. I like to see what certain intersections or terrain look like ahead of time... But the Garmin has my coach values programed in. Like you Richard, I sometimes have to enter way points to attain a desired route. I was also using an app called "RV Life" . I used that app in conjunction with the Garmin the very first time we traveled from NJ to Fla. It was our first time out and I like to have options. It worked well. That app has a cost of $19.99 a month or $65 a year... It was definitely helpful but once I got the hang of using the Garmin, Waze and Google I canceled that membership after the first month. Fingers crossed, Garmin has not led me down any dirt roads just yet .. I'm wondering, when entering route options into the Garmin, you have the choice of Fastest or Shortest. Would either setting be less apt to take us off the beaten path and into 40' x 12' hell ?

Keep the rubber side down ladies and gents. Safe travels.

LD

318698925_10229199213782747_178695378397398014_n.jpg

316829437_10229199213422738_2580402613681827349_n.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paul J A said:

We had the fortunate opportunity to full time, 2004-2014. We used common sense and a Truckers Road Atlas, LARGE PRINT. Never had an incident. We ALWAYS looked at ANY route or stop on Google Earth as necessary.

I like the LARGE PRINT idea .. lol .. I always liked printed maps. 

8 minutes ago, Lenny D said:

The large print edition is sometimes hard to find. But it makes it soo much more user friendly, and they really don't get out dated. The "I" system is not expanded very aggressively. We always checked the specific State DOT sites for construction, etc. current issues too. 

I just do not like to rely on a devise that gets it's information from an entity and then publisher's it.  TEIO.

15 minutes ago, Lenny D said:

I'm from the paper generation, NOT the screen society.