2008 Cayman. Need to Replace Trans Cooler. Suggestion?

Go to solution Solved by TW Racing,

I need to find a new trans cooler for a 2008 Cayman 35sbd with the 6.7 Cummins and Allison MH 2500 transmission part # 10507057. We had to have transmission replaced and shop has not been successful in finding a new one in the lads three months. Any suggestions will be appreciated greatly.

I just went thru this myself a few mo ago on my Windsor. I’m not familiar with your radiator stack but I’m assuming your cooler is in the radiator header.  Before you call Source Eng. look for the blue label on the radiator and take picture of it so you have the p/n. I sent them the pic so it was in their email from me and no mix up. I replaced the radiator too, comes all as one. Have the shop check your CAC for leaks too. This is a Very Expensive repair if you need the CAC too. Source is the distributor for the equipment you need and the radiator shop that probably built the one you have, they are in Sacramento and you can’t buy direct. Sorry this happened to you but this is somewhat common. I’m going to post some pics and video of my repair someday soon.   

I would say his advice is probably unfortunately the way it is. I would stop buy a few Big Truck repair shops near you and ask were they get their radiators repaired and rebuilt. Take some pictures and get some recommendations. You could drop it off and get some estimates. Ask Jim at Source Eng. if Radiator Specialties in Sacramento CA could copy build one if they had it in their shop? If so maybe someone else could too. Sorry this happened to you too, this happens more than we might think afraid. 

Jim just recommend any radiator shop. Unfortunately it’s in another state a truck repair center. They ordered one, but no idea on when it will come in. I was hoping I could purchase one and send to shop to expedite things. I have a deer hunting trip next that I was hoping to not have to stay in a motel. If the Rv was here in Vegas, I could have had a new one built in a week.

Thanks again as I really appreciate all the help.

Just throwing this out there.  I installed a Derale cooler or something similar.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008VQGVSU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I added one to suppliment my cooler.  I had the radiator replaced in 2015 and after was having trouble with higher tranny temps so I added the above.  There was a poster on IRV2 that completely bypassed his tranny cooler and did this (but I think he added 2 in series). 

Vanwill actually added a stand alone cooler with fan and gave me the info as to how he mounted his, I did something similar.

Prior to install I was seeing temps +235F, after install I have temps 160-178F with very fast recovery. 

Derale Tran Cooler installed 2-17-2022.jpg

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 2008 Cayman. Need to Replace Trans Cooler. Suggestion?

https://cgj.com/product-category/oil-coolers/motorhome-oil-cooler/monaco-motorhome-oil-cooler

Their website gives detail dimensional data for an assortment of Monaco Motorhomes.

I have bought radiators from them twice.  The first one failed because a radiator support weld broke, and succumbed to vibration.  The second one is 8 years old and still going strong.  So I give them a good rating.

• Like 1

When my original radiator was damaged by road debris I bought a new one from CG&J.  This was done in 2015 and we had minimal use of the coach while building our house and then Covid.  In 2021 after a long trip I found the radiator was seeping from one end, I resorted to using Irontite to seal it, not the optimal.  I had also noticed that my tranny was running high temps, never did that prior to the radiator change.  I contacted CG&J to inquire how they sized the tranny cooler, the rep I talked to didn't know and only volunteered to sell me an auxiliary cooler. 

Another member who had installed a CG&J radiator and it also started to seep.

Now I read you have had one of two fail. 

Doesn't seem like a good track record to me.  I know I won't recommend them any more. 

• 3 weeks later...

Gregg at Country Coach was able to get me a new trans cooler made in about 7 days and it arrives at the shop in Flagstaff on Monday. The total cost for the cooler and shipping was around $1100.00. I highly recommended Gregg for any parts or questions on the Monaco as he has decades of experience with Monaco.

Thank you all for the information and help given, I greatly appreciate it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...