In dash GPS

Looking for info on the in dash GPS system in my coach. Since it's no longer made or supported, I'd like to upgrade and get rid of the one that hasn't been updated in like 100 years or so. I'm not sure what will fit as I've just started looking.  Anyone trash the GPS and install something else? I'm kinda OCD about things looking somewhat factory or as close as possible. Looking for ideas...thanks in advance...Dennis

When I replaced my stock radio, I replaced it w a Kenwood double DIN radio.  I opted to not get GPS in the radio and instead bought a Garmin RV GPS.  It is a suction mount, but since we do not always need it, it allows me to use it when I need to. 

20181226_112641.jpg

The Factory GPS that came with my 2002 Windsor was obsolete by the time I had purchased the coach from the original owners in 2003. I ripped it out except for the roof top antenna and installed a Garmin Nuvi 465 LMT. When Garmin came out with the RV-760-LMT I purchased that for the coach and now use the Nuvi 465 in our car.

Satisfied with both but as with all GPS devices we never rely on them 100%, trust but verify.

Thanks for the replies thus far. As I suspected, I'm going to have to live with what I've got. Debi likes to use the factory install but I like the latest maps and dislike having to change the CD for east and west coasts. Also they're way outdated. We have never listened to the radio in the coach. I don't even know how that works and we've had it for 14 years. Only thing I use the radio for is the Aladdin and cameras, so replacing the GPS with a radio would be a waste of money. I do have a Garmin 760 that I use mounted on the left side of the steering column next to the TPMS but since I'm in a upgrading mood while stuck here in Arizona, I thought I'd check into upgrading that as well.....Dennis

10 hours ago, Dennis H said:

Thanks for the replies thus far. As I suspected, I'm going to have to live with what I've got. Debi likes to use the factory install but I like the latest maps and dislike having to change the CD for east and west coasts. Also they're way outdated. We have never listened to the radio in the coach. I don't even know how that works and we've had it for 14 years. Only thing I use the radio for is the Aladdin and cameras, so replacing the GPS with a radio would be a waste of money. I do have a Garmin 760 that I use mounted on the left side of the steering column next to the TPMS but since I'm in a upgrading mood while stuck here in Arizona, I thought I'd check into upgrading that as well.....Dennis

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you Dennis.  I ended up buying a Garmin 770 and have it on their bean bag mount on the dash.  I just use the original in dash unit as a clock or sometimes switch it over to show mileage etc.  I also have an older Garmin (Pathfinder I think) on another beanbag mount in front of the wife and it has a remote she can use while sitting back in her seat.  Unfortunately it can't be updated and they no longer make a model that has a remote control.

2019 Fall SD Trip_ (789).jpg

Edited by Mike H
Added photo

Dennis, could you post some pics of your current setup?

3 hours ago, Steven P said:

Dennis, could you post some pics of your current setup?

Here's the Factory GPS unit. I've found Garmin now makes an RV 890 which will fit into the opening which is 8 1/4 X 5 1/4. The Garmin is just a tad smaller which should make it a perfect fit.  (7.87" W x 4.92" H ) The only issue is  what it will take to modify the mount and how much trouble it will be to update the maps. Garmin has a 30 day return policy so I'm probably going to pull this unit out and see what it looks like behind it. I was hoping someone else had already done that and could offer some insight. If it all looks good, then I'll order the Garmin ($500 bucks) and see how/if it fits ok. If not, I can return it and keep looking. The Kenwood GPS is two pieces, the head and there's a CD player below it. The microphone if for that unit also but I won't need it with the 890 as it's built in. Below is a picture of the current GPS.....Dennis

IMG_5706.jpg

Edited by Dennis H

4 hours ago, Mike H said:

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you Dennis.  I ended up buying a Garmin 770 and have it on their bean bag mount on the dash.  I just use the original in dash unit as a clock or sometimes switch it over to show mileage etc.  I also have an older Garmin (Pathfinder I think) on another beanbag mount in front of the wife and it has a remote she can use while sitting back in her seat.  Unfortunately it can't be updated and they no longer make a model that has a remote control.

2019 Fall SD Trip_ (789).jpg

Mike, I don't drive in the rain  🙂   ........Dennis

Edited by Dennis H

1 hour ago, Dennis H said:

Mike, I don't drive in the rain  🙂   ........Dennis

LOL  I try and avoid it as much as possible but we were leaving Rapid City, SD and had to get to Cheyenne, WY.  for our next campground.  Fortunately we drove out of the rain in about an hour.

Dennis,

That is a nice setup and I see why you'd want to keep the look.  Some companies make adapter kits and face plates for different size products.  When I replaced my Aladdin screen I had similar issues and used a velcro style fastener which allows me to remove the screen for easy access behind. 

20181229_153525.jpg

20200105_121915.jpg

If you have Mobile coverage I have used a few apps. on my phone and or tablet "Trucker Path" and or "GSP navigation" have never been steered me wrong, of course old school with a map to confirm before departing.

Wayne

the original Monaco GPS was an add on Garmin unit.  It was nothing more than a GPS module without a screen.  The module plugged into the back of the "Camera" monitor (brand did not matter) via a Composite (yellow) Video and an audio input.  Thus, it worked like a TV screen (you could also play a DVD player there).

My take on GPS...  If my old radio in the MH died, I would be on the fence.  The radio usage depends on your needs.  With today's technology and also the decreasing cost of cell service, I THINK that the cheapest and most cost effective option would be a Tablet.....  Like an iPad.  I finally got tired of not having laptop coverage and such.  I purchased a Cellular Laptop 3 years ago.  The tablet on my Verizon account is HALF (unlimited data plan) the cost of a line for a phone.  So, I pay X for each phone's data plan.  But I pay 1/2 X for the IPad.  

The NEAT thing about the iPad....we can take it in the car when we travel.  So, we always have an updated GPS.

NOW the Caveat.  I STILL use my Garmin 760.  I keep it updated.  IF I travel where there is no cell service, I use it.  I actually DO program the Garmin for route verification and use it as more of a Speedometer and Trip minder (when will we get there).  I purchased the Garmin Link and I get weather and up-to-date traffic.  

I have considered mounting the iPad on top of the dash (velcro) and driving by that.  Otherwise, the DW programs it and follows along and looks for really UGLY traffic.

NOW....if you really want a radio with all the bells and whistles, then I would shy away from the GPS model.  I would purchase a radio with the NEW apps.  Android Auto and Apple CarPlay work seamlessly with my 2016 Vette radio.  I have killed the XM.  I have XM on three other vehicles (Lifetime warranty), so I just use streaming (you get one streaming account per device).  I do NOT need XM on the Vette radio and that saves me about $200 per year.

When you use the Android or the Apple app, you get the same screen.  You can also use WAZE or Google Maps or whatever.  They display on the screen.

If you get a radio with a GPS and XM, then you are going to pay a separate charge each month for each feature.  

By having a cheap Garmin, that you update periodically, you are covered where there is NO cell and you can use your phone or your Tablet for travel.  

That would be what I would make the decision on and NOT be locked into an all in one option.....just because the vehicle came that way.  I also use Pandora a lot and I can feed the audio for XM or Pandora into my Vette radio using Blue Tooth or using a patch cord....  The directions come on and tell me when to turn and such....

19 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

Tom,  Not sure about the 760 but I know my 770 and later models now update automatically .  I never use the radio or CD player (to distracting for me while I'm driving) and have thought about just mounting it in the dash in place of the old built in unit that I basically just use for a clock 😉 .

Did not know about the updating.  I do mine once or twice per season.....just for new maps.  But, I verify the route with Google.  

I have the original Monaco radio.  I feed an XM module (portable) into it via Rear Aux connection.  I have that "Y'ed" in where I can now feed my phone.  I also have the interconnection iPod (30 Pin) cord so that I can put on music and just let it play.  I have over 3000 songs on that.

I also have an audio (phone jack) hookup to the HEC receiver.  SO, I got music when I want it.

If one were REALLY tech savvy, then what you do would be to install an AppleTV on the TV.  (of course the TV would have to be ON when you drove and the interlock defeated).  Then you screen mirror an iPad (cellular) to the Apple TV.  BINGO.....you have your iPad on the overhead TV.  Then call up Google Maps (or WAZE or whatever) and then select your route.  

Sort of like folks wanting manual tranny, or fully auto with NO paddle shifters or a Trimtronic (?) 8 speed auto that you can shift on the fly or let it do the shifting.  

If all you want is a radio to get an occasional FM or AM station or listen to a "Here you are.....listen to our instructions on XXX frequency), then all you need is just that.

I gave up on CD's and have my music colleciton on iTunes and iPods.  I use my iPad for Google, but Garmin is where I look to see things.

whatever you needs are.....but don't think that you have to duplicate what Monaco gave you 10 - 15 years ago...

Excellent input from you guys, thank you. My setup appears to be different than most of yours. Don't know if that's good or bad. I have the radio/flip up screen for the Aladdin and radio. That's next to the gauges on the dash above the ignition switch. In the middle console is the GPS unit. It appears to be a stand alone unit with the CD unit below it in the cabinet. The CD unit only allows the GPS CDs. It won't play anything else and it's not designed to. I have two CDs, one for east coast and one for west coast.  We don't use the radio, but I do use the Aladdin.

We travel full time. Over 100,000 miles so far on the coach. I'm a planner and like many of you, like to travel within my comfort zone. This includes knowing beforehand where I'm headed (think reservations) and what to expect  getting there. Our normal travel day is 3-4 hours. We do not use the interstates if possible. Just personal preference, as one misses much of this great country by flying by on the interstate. At any rate, after deciding on a destination, I  do a GoogleMaps search and grab the coordinates. I then look at the map directions for the roads I'd like to explore to get there. With a larger coach, I like to know what issues I might encounter en route such as hairpin turns (think Smokey Mountains/Virginia etc.) If in doubt, I again turn to Google maps and follow along.  At 65', I really don't like surprises. I never enter the destination address into the GPS, I use the coordinates. I've found that method to be most accurate. Using these tools usually ensures a safe and enjoyable trip for both myself and my wife so we arrive much more relaxed.   Garmin seems to offer so much more than simply directions. I have programmed my portable units with POIs specific to our wants/needs/desires so I do use them a lot.  I know many  of you are wondering what this has to do with the topic at hand but I wanted you to understand why I am looking for a newer updated model GPS unit.

Thanks again for all your input. We are stuck in Arizona for a bit as it looks like they are going into panic mode again, so I'm trying to do upgrades that I've wanted to do but never had the time to. Unfortunately Arizona weather is not cooperating. Working on your coach in 75-80 degrees is much different than doing so when it's 110-120. Neighbors don't like one working on the coach at 3AM when it's cooler. Safe travels everyone.....Dennis

1 hour ago, Dennis H said:

Excellent input from you guys, thank you. My setup appears to be different than most of yours. Don't know if that's good or bad. I have the radio/flip up screen for the Aladdin and radio. That's next to the gauges on the dash above the ignition switch. In the middle console is the GPS unit. It appears to be a stand alone unit with the CD unit below it in the cabinet. The CD unit only allows the GPS CDs. It won't play anything else and it's not designed to. I have two CDs, one for east coast and one for west coast.  We don't use the radio, but I do use the Aladdin.

We travel full time. Over 100,000 miles so far on the coach. I'm a planner and like many of you, like to travel within my comfort zone. This includes knowing beforehand where I'm headed (think reservations) and what to expect  getting there. Our normal travel day is 3-4 hours. We do not use the interstates if possible. Just personal preference, as one misses much of this great country by flying by on the interstate. At any rate, after deciding on a destination, I  do a GoogleMaps search and grab the coordinates. I then look at the map directions for the roads I'd like to explore to get there. With a larger coach, I like to know what issues I might encounter en route such as hairpin turns (think Smokey Mountains/Virginia etc.) If in doubt, I again turn to Google maps and follow along.  At 65', I really don't like surprises. I never enter the destination address into the GPS, I use the coordinates. I've found that method to be most accurate. Using these tools usually ensures a safe and enjoyable trip for both myself and my wife so we arrive much more relaxed.   Garmin seems to offer so much more than simply directions. I have programmed my portable units with POIs specific to our wants/needs/desires so I do use them a lot.  I know many  of you are wondering what this has to do with the topic at hand but I wanted you to understand why I am looking for a newer updated model GPS unit.

Thanks again for all your input. We are stuck in Arizona for a bit as it looks like they are going into panic mode again, so I'm trying to do upgrades that I've wanted to do but never had the time to. Unfortunately Arizona weather is not cooperating. Working on your coach in 75-80 degrees is much different than doing so when it's 110-120. Neighbors don't like one working on the coach at 3AM when it's cooler. Safe travels everyone.....Dennis

I'm pretty sure we have the same exact configuration as what is in your coach Dennis.  I'll be very interested in what you decide to do and how it comes out.

20190121_121800.jpg

Well, I ripped the old stuff today and fixed some of the Monaco mistakes. Cleaned up the wiring and am anticipating installing a Garmin RV890. That old GPS weighed in at 10 pounds! The Garmin is 13.7 OUNCES!  If anyone's interested in what it looks like I've added  a page to my blog. You can access it here... HERE

Thanks.... Dennis

Edited by Dennis H

On 6/30/2020 at 4:12 AM, Steven P said:

Dennis,

That is a nice setup and I see why you'd want to keep the look.  Some companies make adapter kits and face plates for different size products.  When I replaced my Aladdin screen I had similar issues and used a velcro style fastener which allows me to remove the screen for easy access behind. 

20181229_153525.jpg

20200105_121915.jpg

Stephen,

This looks like my 4-camera Weldex color monitor.  I’ve been using a discontinued Garmin module for which I can still get updates on an SD card.  It serves as Camera 1.  The rear view camera is #2, and I can pair to view GPS & Rear as PIP.   At some point Garmin may stop supporting the module.  Does anyone know of any other make or model that will feed my Weldex monitor.

On another note, I also have the Scan Gauge D,  are you able to view that in the Weldex, or is that some system?

John

’06 Knight 40DFD

John, check w rvcams.com.   Try to speak to Tim Lazaroe.  He's an owner and extremely helpful and knows his stuff.  They are out of Louisiana. 

On 7/2/2020 at 2:57 PM, johncvandoren@gmail.com said:

On another note, I also have the Scan Gauge D,  are you able to view that in the Weldex, or is that some system?

John

’06 Knight 40DFD

John, I cannot view my scangauge in my Aladdin.  It's mounted just below the monitor. 

I have never recommended a Scan Gauge for any coach user just for that reason, too small of a display and the fact that it has to toggle the data that is important.

The SilverLeaf VMSpc System is far superior to the Scan Gauge and totally customizable.  More expensive, YES, but well worth the investment. I have had mine for 10 years now and won't move the coach without it on.

The original GPS in my 08 Navigator works well and anytime we get near a big city the DW pulls up Waze on her phone and we use it to navigate as it has the latest roads and traffic conditions.
I added Silverleaf as a overlay on the backup camera which is on the Kenwood display. Costed more than the one that needs its own display/computer/IPad.

Edited by Ivylog