Conversion of my 2000 Diplomat for UK mains power

hitechpete

Someone on a previous coach asked how my coach had been modified to use UK 240v 13A mains hookup, below is a brief description of what was done, allowing both A/C’s to be run concurrently (when required) along with British 250v 50Hz appliances:

The conversion involved fitting a 5KVA transformer which converted the UK 230/240V into 120V@50Hz to feed the US appliances.

The ATS output fed a secondary sub panel which supplied the 240v electrical equipment and also the 240 to 120v transformer, if the mains power failed our onboard Generac LPG generator provided 240V, it had opposed phase outputs which fed the ATS, the transformer then converted this to 120v again for the US spec equipment.

The US power sockets had been replaced with UK spec 240v 13A using the original US wiring to provide 240v sockets throughout the coach, though several 120v sockets that were fed from the modified sine wave inverter were retained, as was the one feeding the Sharps convection microwave.

Thanks for answering my curiosity. That must be some good size transformer, I used to have one when I lived on the other side but doubt it could do 5kw. So the 10Hz drop is not causing issues with the motors and charger etc, it seems. Don't know if the 240V generator was factory or an addition.

1 hour ago, Ivan K said:

Thanks for answering my curiosity. That must be some good size transformer, I used to have one when I lived on the other side but doubt it could do 5kw. So the 10Hz drop is not causing issues with the motors and charger etc, it seems. Don't know if the 240V generator was factory or an addition.

The 10hz didn’t seem to to have any noticeable effect, though I suppose that in reality everything was 20% less efficient.

Apparently several of the factory fitted generators had the ability to output 2 x 120 volt 180 degrees out of phase.

1 hour ago, vito.a said:

Wow that's an interesting combination.  

When we lived in the UK we had three 2k transformers as well as several small ones.  Seemed to work well.  

I wonder how the UK ended up with 50 hertz.  

I think it’s because you can’t see the flicker of an incandescent bulb at 50Hz.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

60Hz systems tend to be more efficient for longer distance transmission and are better suited for high-power applications, while 50Hz systems are more suited for low-power, local distribution.  Europe started with 50 Hz, Most of the world followed Europe's lead.  Nicola Tesla liked 60 Hz better for technical reasons - long distance transmission.  So the standard in the US became 60 Hz.  As it turns out, when television, especially color, came out, 60 Hz caused less visual flicker.