TRW steering box replacing Sheppard question

Go to solution Solved by JDCrow,

I need a little help here.

My turn has come to replace my M100-PMN31 Sheppard steering box, it is leaking fluid, not a hose or a fitting.  So I called Weller and they said “There is no TRW box that cross references to the Sheppard”. “We have cores to rebuilt Sheppard boxes, but none ready on the shelf, these are available with a 15 day wait”….. not what I expected when I asked for the 'drop-in' replacement for the Sheppard.

So here is my question, since ‘everyone’ says it’s a must to go to a TRW, what is the part number of the TRW that fits? And the part number of the correct pitman arm? so I shop for the TRW steering box.   

P.S.  It is possible to remove the hoses, hook them together with a union fitting (stop the leak and keep fluid in the pumping system) and drive without power steering from Denver to Memphis.... but it will not be fun!

Ken

26 minutes ago, klcdenver said:

Look and see which fluid is in your reservoir. Then get some compatible stop leak and see if you can slow it down until a TRW comes available.

First thing I tried.... no joy, with no parts availably, I went to plan "B" and bypassed the leak (steering box) ate a big can of Popeye the sailorman's spinach and drove home!

JDCrow,

Thanks! I'll look it up and see if I can get one heading my way!  I have more traveling to do!

Ken

50 minutes ago, dennis.mcdonaugh said:

There's at least one Sheppard box that has no direct TRW replacement.

Dennis,

Do you happen to know the Sheppard part number?  According to my 'build sheet' my unit is a M100 PMN31..... it has a 10.5" steering arm attached.  I believe the unit and arm that JDCrow suggested is a good replacement.

Ken

2 hours ago, Cubflyer said:

Dennis,

Do you happen to know the Sheppard part number?  According to my 'build sheet' my unit is a M100 PMN31..... it has a 10.5" steering arm attached.  I believe the unit and arm that JDCrow suggested is a good replacement.

Ken

I think it’s the M80. There’s a wealth of info on iRV2 about the various Shepard steering gears. I believe the M100 is the direct swap.