UNI Pass Toll Transponder

tmw188

OK, I found this post on the internet that as of June 2023 seems to give a definitive head to head comparison of Sun Pass, Sun Pass Pro, Mini Sun Pass, EZ pass, Uni Pass, and some others. hope you find this helpful in any decision on toll pass programs.

https://travelmagma.com/uni-pass-vs-sunpass-pro/

9 hours ago, tmw188 said:

Hey that’s a good link it should help everyone, thanks.

Yes, it is a good except it does not get into details of the most widely used "universal" one...the EZ PASS.  The EZ PASS is a Generic Term.  Each state can issue one, if they choose, and they determine the cost, if any, for the transponder and the replacement and such.

The Florida Unipass requires a purchase, from them or Amazon. Many of the state's EZ PASS  require no "purchase" and you pay a $10 or so "Deposit"...most refundable and they will replace a defective or dead battery transponder.

Basically....the EZ PASS, based on the map and the Uni both work in the same states...maybe a little different....but the maps are the same.  Illinois uses the name "I PASS" for theirs.  The article did not get into the bowels of the number of vehicles and such....The Sun Pass has a limit of 6.  Since I only have one Sun Pass, I don't know if you can have multiple transponders on one account....a good question to ask.  The I PASS allows multiple transponders on one account and each one can be used in any of the vehicles listed on the account.

• Like 1

Ok here’s the thing I haven’t seen the answer to. If I have one of these multi state transponders on the windshield of the mh and I’m towing my car which is 4’ behind me how does it know that the car is there? I’ve been getting hit with a 5 axle charge. What if I’m driving the mh with no towed, how does it know the difference? IL and FL wants me to send a copy of my registration I guess to determine how many axles it has. 

13 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

Ok here’s the thing I haven’t seen the answer to. If I have one of these multi state transponders on the windshield of the mh and I’m towing my car which is 4’ behind me how does it know that the car is there? I’ve been getting hit with a 5 axle charge. What if I’m driving the mh with no towed, how does it know the difference? IL and FL wants me to send a copy of my registration I guess to determine how many axles it has. 

Is yours a UNI transponder?  And what state/entity issued it?  Have you logged into their website and checked to see if it has an axle count you can configure? 

Todd, with my Illinois I-Pass, I  have both the coach and car registered on my account. I can use it in the coach either by itself or when towing my car or just in my car. The toll reader's know when I am using what and how many. I belive it does it using the cameras on the readers.

I have never been overcharged for any toll since I started using it back in 2019.

When I sold the Windsor, I went to my account and deleted the Windsor and added the Dynasty which has three axles versus the Windsor.

1 hour ago, Steve P said:

Is yours a UNI transponder?  And what state/entity issued it?  Have you logged into their website and checked to see if it has an axle count you can configure? 

No it’s a SunPass Mini and there is no axle count on the form. Not one of the two people I spoke to at SP told me I could only have one license plate assigned to it. I have two plates registered to it that is the problem. At the time I purchased it in FL in 2020 I didn’t know any better. I have two plates listed in my profile which it shouldn’t allowed me to do with the mini. Anyway I’ll get it straightened out.  

I have the E-Pass and Sun-Pass. The E-Pass is a Transponder that I use in my Explorer and F-150. The Sun-Pass is a decal that is permanently affixed to the windshield in the coach. I keep the E-Pass in the aluminum pouch in the console when towing behind the Coach. I have never had an issue with the Sun-Pass in any of my travels.

1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

Todd, with my Illinois I-Pass, I  have both the coach and car registered on my account. I can use it in the coach either by itself or when towing my car or just in my car. The toll reader's know when I am using what and how many. I belive it does it using the cameras on the readers.

I have never been overcharged for any toll since I started using it back in 2019.

When I sold the Windsor, I went to my account and deleted the Windsor and added the Dynasty which has three axles versus the Windsor.

It must take a pic front and rear to know your towing your car. I guess it shouldn’t matter how it does it as long as it gets it right. Because of the fluke issues I had it caused me to ask how it works. Another weird thing is my recent invoice in IL only showed my travel north at $9.15. I never received anything for travel back south 5 days later. 

43 minutes ago, David Pratt said:

I have the E-Pass and Sun-Pass. The E-Pass is a Transponder that I use in my Explorer and F-150. The Sun-Pass is a decal that is permanently affixed to the windshield in the coach. I keep the E-Pass in the aluminum pouch in the console when towing behind the Coach. I have never had an issue with the Sun-Pass in any of my travels.

So you have what they call the SunPass Mini. But what is it charging you for towing the truck with your 3 axle coach?

Edited by tmw188

37 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

It must take a pic front and rear to know your towing your car. I guess it shouldn’t matter how it does it as long as it gets it right. Because of the fluke issues I had it caused me to ask how it works. Another weird thing is my recent invoice in IL only showed my travel north at $9.15. I never received anything for travel back south 5 days later. 

So you have what they call the SunPass Mini. But what is it charging you for towing the truck with your 3 axle coach?

ALL I KNOW....and from conversations with three of four states....extensive with Florida and Illinois and READING A LOT.

The Federal DOT has been sinking a few $$ (as in those with B's) into the Toll systems....even those, in some states, that are sort of "Private Contactors" that the State hired or gave a contract to.  That is HOW NC is rapidly expanding the system.

OK....the technology is there...so that there are SENSORS in the roadway and when the transponders communicate with the Toll Computer, there is an AXLE COUNTER.  And THAT is what determines the Toll.  It USED TO BE that there were weight sensors (Ohio or so) and there was a lot of "old wives tales" and concern for those of us with the 23K rears as to being banned or arrested.  That appears to have been debunked....or was never a fact.

https://roadwarrior.app/blog/e-zpass/#:~:text=Treadles are sensor strips embedded,all vehicles are counted correctly.

ALL IN THERE...or the KEY... or Reader's Digest passage is...

Treadles are sensor strips embedded in the road that detect the number of axles a vehicle has. A three-axle vehicle is charged a higher toll than a two-axle vehicle. These two devices are safeguards to ensure that all vehicles are counted correctly.Aug 26, 2022

OK....  that is about EZ PASS.  BUT, all the states that have a "multi state" option...like my pet, Illinois...will state this....in some form or fashion.

E-ZPass transponders allow you to pay tolls electronically from a pre-authorized account. “I-PASS” is the Illinois Tollway's brand for the same E-ZPass transponder/system – you can use I-PASS on any E-ZPass road or bridge and you can use E-ZPass transponders on the Illinois Tollway.

BOTTOM LINE or CONCULSION

Be CAREFUL and READ and UNDERSTAND.  My point was "why BUY" a transponder when there are states that will give you, based on a refundable deposit..." one for FREE

Next up.  Folk may HAVE transponders that are VEHICLE SPECIFIC.  If you have one of them for your MH as well as your TOWED VEHICLE....be aware....you will get CHARGED twice, if the Transponder has the "COUNT MY AXLES" technology.  THAT is why there are warnings to put a FOIL covering or bag and HIDE your Towed vehicle one if you are towing and to KNOW how it works.

STILL lots of different systems and flavors....and no offense to Florida, their system is a bit complex.  Mini, Sun Pass, Sun Pass Pro and Uni.  OMG.  For a state that shuts down for 3 days when the "Buicks" hit the road and evacuate...  WHY 5 options?  The demographics say that the average age is a bit higher than the US so why have the most (seemingly) complex system for the seasoned citizens to comprehend and understand.

That's it...I HOPE...and clears up some things....

On 11/1/2023 at 11:15 AM, Tom Cherry said:

ALL I KNOW....and from conversations with three of four states....extensive with Florida and Illinois and READING A LOT.

The Federal DOT has been sinking a few $$ (as in those with B's) into the Toll systems....even those, in some states, that are sort of "Private Contactors" that the State hired or gave a contract to.  That is HOW NC is rapidly expanding the system.

OK....the technology is there...so that there are SENSORS in the roadway and when the transponders communicate with the Toll Computer, there is an AXLE COUNTER.  And THAT is what determines the Toll.  It USED TO BE that there were weight sensors (Ohio or so) and there was a lot of "old wives tales" and concern for those of us with the 23K rears as to being banned or arrested.  That appears to have been debunked....or was never a fact.

https://roadwarrior.app/blog/e-zpass/#:~:text=Treadles are sensor strips embedded,all vehicles are counted correctly.

ALL IN THERE...or the KEY... or Reader's Digest passage is...

Treadles are sensor strips embedded in the road that detect the number of axles a vehicle has. A three-axle vehicle is charged a higher toll than a two-axle vehicle. These two devices are safeguards to ensure that all vehicles are counted correctly.Aug 26, 2022

OK....  that is about EZ PASS.  BUT, all the states that have a "multi state" option...like my pet, Illinois...will state this....in some form or fashion.

E-ZPass transponders allow you to pay tolls electronically from a pre-authorized account. “I-PASS” is the Illinois Tollway's brand for the same E-ZPass transponder/system – you can use I-PASS on any E-ZPass road or bridge and you can use E-ZPass transponders on the Illinois Tollway.

BOTTOM LINE or CONCULSION

Be CAREFUL and READ and UNDERSTAND.  My point was "why BUY" a transponder when there are states that will give you, based on a refundable deposit..." one for FREE

Next up.  Folk may HAVE transponders that are VEHICLE SPECIFIC.  If you have one of them for your MH as well as your TOWED VEHICLE....be aware....you will get CHARGED twice, if the Transponder has the "COUNT MY AXLES" technology.  THAT is why there are warnings to put a FOIL covering or bag and HIDE your Towed vehicle one if you are towing and to KNOW how it works.

STILL lots of different systems and flavors....and no offense to Florida, their system is a bit complex.  Mini, Sun Pass, Sun Pass Pro and Uni.  OMG.  For a state that shuts down for 3 days when the "Buicks" hit the road and evacuate...  WHY 5 options?  The demographics say that the average age is a bit higher than the US so why have the most (seemingly) complex system for the seasoned citizens to comprehend and understand.

That's it...I HOPE...and clears up some things....

Tom thank you for that in depth explanation, the axle counter technology makes sense if it’s accurate. I would think it is before they put it out. 
Open Roads just sent out their news letter mentioning a new toll provider Innovative Toll Solutions, that they are teamed up with in some fashion. That’s a no thank you for me at $24 yr. 

Edited by tmw188