UNI Pass Toll Transponder

tmw188

29 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

Do you have a UNI Pass good in 17 states? How do you like it and how does it work when towing your car? Looking for some likes dislikes and whatever info is good to know. 

I have the "equialent" that I purchased in 2015 when I headed into Florida.  IT works fine.  It works in NC.  It DOES let you "move" it.

NOW, the wisdom here is that the Illinois I-Pass is the most used...or it was when I did my research and read all the comments.  We had folks that were traveling a lot and I just read and listened.

https://getipass.com/

I actually had one when I was in Florida in 2015, but Florida was "NOT GONNA WORK".  I had to BUY the Florida "Sun Pass".  they were in vending machines at the rest areas.  I did.  Paid maybe $10 or 20.  The I-pass costs NOTHING.  Signup.  They subtract a $10 (think that is still the amount) from the first payment...so you can start with $20...or higher.  THEN, you return it....they give you back the $10.  The battery goes bad....they send you a new one....trash the old one....and then if you cancel, return and get your money.

The I-Pass also lets you put more vehicles on one transponder.  We don't have many roads in NC, so my three vehicles, the utility trailer...as they use that in the cameras and the AI as well as the MH and my daughter's 3 cars are ALL, I think, on the Illinois I-Pass....  Florida's Sun Pass has a 5 or 6 vehicle limit.

ALL DEPENDS on what you want.  

NOW....here is where it gets CONFUSING.  The iPass site (when you google....Where is the Ipass accepted) says anywhere the EZ Pass is accepted.  Then they show the map of the EZ pass....  Florida says same as the EZpass and ticks off the states.  There are 3 that I think, first shot, differences.  BUT, their cutesy little maps are the same....except different colors.  Do you own Due Dilligence.  I never have had an issue....and used the Ipass in Canada.  It don't work in Kansas or Denver...(2015 or so), but I drove on a LOT of toll roads in Canada and never got the LETTER.

That's all I know....you buy the UniPass and pay to get a NEW Unit, per the website.  You don't pay for for the Ipass and they send you one if it bombs.  Am on my second one....works fine...  JUST DON'T have TWO....otherwise you get BILLED TWICE.  If you have a "proprietary one", you package in in foil like it was Kryptonite and put in a METAL box.....  YES...that has happened....many times...

• Like 1

We have had for several years, originally purchased in Florida. You need one for the RV and one for the toad; they are charged separately. At first I thought this was crappy on there part but then realized I needed it when running about with the toad separate from the RV.

Its a one time charge for the transponder (no batteries needed) and the more expensive one ($15) is held on with suction cups for if needed it can be moved to a different vehicle/RV. You assign a cc and it is charged in increment that are set by you. We set them at $20, so you periodically will have the cc charged as you use up the credit on each transponder. Each time you will get an email confirmation of the charge. IN each vehicle I put the transponder up near the top center of the windshield so it has no effect on visibility. The biggest drawback is when I forget it in one vehicle when I am driving a different on. IMO it would be great if all toll programs (bridges, etc) used this same system nation wide. Also, occasionally the  suction cups loose hold and the transponder falls off. Wetting the cups first helps.

25 minutes ago, 1nolaguy said:

We have had for several years, originally purchased in Florida. You need one for the RV and one for the toad; they are charged separately. At first I thought this was crappy on there part but then realized I needed it when running about with the toad separate from the RV.

Its a one time charge for the transponder (no batteries needed) and the more expensive one ($15) is held on with suction cups for if needed it can be moved to a different vehicle/RV. You assign a cc and it is charged in increment that are set by you. We set them at $20, so you periodically will have the cc charged as you use up the credit on each transponder. Each time you will get an email confirmation of the charge. IN each vehicle I put the transponder up near the top center of the windshield so it has no effect on visibility. The biggest drawback is when I forget it in one vehicle when I am driving a different on. IMO it would be great if all toll programs (bridges, etc) used this same system nation wide. Also, occasionally the  suction cups loose hold and the transponder falls off. Wetting the cups first helps.

Not arguing....but that is not what I was told when I purchased the Sun Pass nor the Ipass.  I was told, and we have countless members here that are of the SAME opinion that the EZ Pass or iPass is actually needed for the LEAD vehicle.  You leave it in the MH.  The electronics or the "marvels" of the toll systems actually COUNTS the axles.  and THEN calculates the toll.  

I CAN attest and verify that.  I did a segment of the local NC toll road, using the Ipass,  on a trip back.  Not a long distance...maybe 20 miles....and the charge was $13.XX or so.  HIGH.  My Daughter has the Sun Pass that I bought.  I pay the tab.  She rarely gets a toll over say $4.00.

The "LET THE TOLL ROAD" do the calculation electronics is the difference.  When NC first got into TOLLS, their NC whatever pass REQUIRED A TRANSPONDER FOR EVERY VEHICLE....TOWED OR DRIVEN.  So, I was told to buy one for the RV and every vehicle.  That is when I followed the advice and posting here.

I use the I-pass.  It is transferrable.  The UniPass says IT IS TRANSFERRABLE.  My take, and it may be wrong....is that the UNIT and is in ONE vehicle...and the Plates for the RV and Toad are on the transponder....the AI does the work.  I specifically asked about my Utility Trailer.  SAME DEAL.  I was TOLD by the EXpass folks and Ipass that ALL Plates MUST be on the account.  THUS, I have my Utility Trailer plate on my Daughter's Sun Pass and my IPass.  She often borrows it for delievering refinished furniture.

What I read today   on each site....  NO... ONE UNI and one IPASS for the "RIG".  You can run the TOAD around with it and get billed as a car.  Tow it...and you get billed as a Multi Rig.. or Multi Axle.

https://rvtollpass.com/#:~:text=Do I need a separate,be disabled while being towed.

Google and read this.

TRUST, but VERIFY.  If I wanted to buy the UNI, I would CALL and ask.  They say it works like the EZ PASS.  The EZ PASS is ONE ONLY for the RIG...not TWO...otherwise, put FOIL around the TOAD as you will pay double.

BUT....call and verify....

UNI Pass is a rebranded EZPASS Extra in Florida. It is good in 19 states which is the same as my I-Pass that I have from Illinois.

Biggest difference is that you have to purchase the UNI-Pass, then purchase another one when the battery runs out. Whereas, with the I-Pass, they charge a $10 deposit plus a $20 prepayment for any tolls. Then you sign up for the auto-replenishment program. If there is a problem with the transponder or the transponder quits working you can exchange it for a good one, no charge. When you want to close your account, return the transponder for your deposit back.

I only have one transponder which works in the coach by itself or towing the car or trailer. It works in the car when needed also. I just move it from the coach to the car once the coach is parked for the winter in Florida.

Tom, yes and no. What I was told by the Sun Pass/ EZ pass customer service when I called was there were options. A) I could buy one transponder and placed it in the RV with a toad. It would have to be set up as a 4 axle vehicle. If I drove the toad with the same transponder it to would be treated as 4 axle also. If I drove the RV and my wife followed behind in the toad, as in a short move in Florida, The RV would still register as 4 axles and the car would be picked up as a photo toll (more expensive and a hassle). If I got two transponders, one for each vehicle the RV (ours has 6 wheels but two axles- no tag axle) each would be registered as a two axle vehicle. The later version was said to be of less expensive in the long run and less of a hassle. There was of course the added $15 up front for the extra transponder.

Of course you can go on line each time you change your vehicle configuration to change your set up but in MHO that is a major pain in the butt. For me, spending the extra $15 was worth not having the hassle, time or having to keep tract of the changes. I guess it all depends on your budget and how much you move around or where you stay. In Central Florida, for me, it was definitely worth the cost.

Edited by 1nolaguy

8 minutes ago, 1nolaguy said:

Tom, yes and no. What I was told by the Sun Pass/ EZ pass customer service when I called. I was to that if I bought one transponder and placed it in the RV, and had a toad, it could be set up as a 4 axle vehicle but then if I drove the toad with the same transponder it to would be treated as 4 axle.If I drove the RV and my wife followed behind in the toad, as in a short move in Florida, The RV would still register as 4 axles and the car would be picked up as a photo tool (more expensive and a hassle). If I got two transponders, one for each vehicle the RV (ours has 6 wheels but two axles) each would be registered as a two axle vehicle. The later version was said to be of less cost  and less of a hassle. 

Of course you can go on line each time you change two configuration to change your set up but in MHO that is a major pain in the but. For me, spending the extra $15 was worth not having the hassle, time or having to keep tract of the changes. I guess it all depends on your budget and how much you move around or where you stay. In Central Florida it was definitely worth the cost.

Fascinating.  My SunPass has all the vehicles on it...like the IPass.  I know from way back when this was discussed in detail that maybe 10 years ago, the Toll Technology was undergoing an upgrade.  Technically, I think there was a Congressional Bill passed directing the Fed DOT to take charge of the software development and have ALL systems....in the USA...even including, if needed HI and AK to be "100% Seamless".  Then, some well informed individuals posted various DOT updates where the sort of "Got an Extension"

What I know for a fact.  The Sun Pass that I bought in 2015 was set up for MULTIPLE Axles...and they 800 number, which was active on maybe a Sunday, when I drove down, said..  BUY ONE.  USE ONE.  Use it in the Motor Home WITH or WITHOUT a towed vehicle....we do the rest....likewise, the Towed vehicle can be used with it....

In 2018, when we were last at the Gathering, we had to leave early, or actually stay in the CG and drive to Daytona for the two day "Event".  I used the Sunpass to circumnavigate Orlando.  I also did that on the way down....right after purchasing the SunPass.  ONLY ONE and the tolls for the south side trip were more than what my tolls were for the north side...and then in 2018, the tolls for the north were the same as a single car.  So, mine works that way.

That is exactly what Illinois told me.  And I have used the iPass all up and down the east coast from Maine to MD and in WV and Ohio and all the NE states, that have tolls and including the PA Turnpike....  In 2018, I had to drive from MN to Indiana....and circled Chicago and then had IN tolls...  Never had an issue...and always paid for axles.

That's all I know....  The only hitch.  When I tried to add TOO many vehicles to the SunPass, it said....TOO MANY...only allowed 5 or 6...  The Illinois IPass has all the vehicles.  6 cars, a MH and a Utility trailer.  I had my boat trailer on it also.  

I would suggest that the OP do some research and call and go from there.  You and I obviously received or understood something different.  BUT, from the onset, the IPass was one of the few that allowed for the Toll System to asses the tolls based on axles....and that was the feature that many wanted....and YES, some did have their local state's transponders and they were told to foil wrap them and NEVER let them be active...otherwise, charged twice for the towed car.

Well I have a SunPass and it’s on the car windshield and it’s the sticker style pass. I got a receipt from SunPass after going to WI thru IL. I was surprised it worked up there. Keep in mind it’s on the car. My bill showed 5 axles. I do have the mh tied to the SunPass as one of the vehicles. SunPass told me originally the pass I had shouldn’t have worked up there because of the type of pass it was. I had the same issue of being charge for 5 axles in FL on the most northern leg of the Suncoast Hwy north of 50 up to 44 in FL. Anyway I guess IL did a charge by plate and I was told by SunPass to get that to register as a  2 axle mh I would have to send them a copy of my registration. Too much BS! Looking for something easier. 

Edited by tmw188

Uni pass: Two thumbs up!! Buy one for the MH and one for the Toad.  Keep Toad transponder in the foil bag until driving it solo.  Bought mine on the EZPass website in Orlando, although I am a Georgia resident. $15 each. Had them 3 years. Only had to dispute one toll with PA... a charge of $124 that I eventually got an $87 credit against, which EZPass then credited back to my credit card on file.  So convenient, and no stopping.  No ridiculous surcharges for "Bill-to-License-Plate".

29 minutes ago, Steve P said:

Uni pass: Two thumbs up!! Buy one for the MH and one for the Toad.  Keep Toad transponder in the foil bag until driving it solo.  Bought mine on the EZPass website in Orlando, although I am a Georgia resident. $15 each. Had them 3 years. Only had to dispute one toll with PA... a charge of $124 that I eventually got an $87 credit against, which EZPass then credited back to my credit card on file.  So convenient, and no stopping.  No ridiculous surcharges for "Bill-to-License-Plate".

Steve, Interesting comment about keeping transponder of toad in a foil bag until needed. As noted above with my exchange with Tom Cheery the EZ-Pass CS told me I needed both if I was towing a toad. Of course that is CS which might or might not be correct. I have two transponders but if I only need the one when towing, without a greater charge, I would like to know more about your experience. Either way the convenience is worth it.

1 hour ago, tmw188 said:

Well I have a SunPass and it’s on the car windshield and it’s the sticker style pass. I got a receipt from SunPass after going to WI thru IL. I was surprised it worked up there. Keep in mind it’s on the car. My bill showed 5 axles. I do have the mh tied to the SunPass as one of the vehicles. SunPass told me originally the pass I had shouldn’t have worked up there because of the type of pass it was. I had the same issue of being charge for 5 axles in FL on the most northern leg of the Suncoast Hwy north of 50 up to 44 in FL. Anyway I guess IL did a charge by plate and I was told by SunPass to get that to register as a  2 axle mh I would have to send them a copy of my registration. Too much BS! Looking for something easier. 

I believe ( verify with SunPass) the sticker passes are only good in Florida and perhaps Georgia. For greater state access you need the Sunpass Pro (movable with suction cups. There is no difference in the rates or how billing is handles, etc. I think it only has to do with the transponder. The PRO version give a reflective signal while the peal and stick is just recognized by AI in the photo.

22 minutes ago, 1nolaguy said:

Steve, Interesting comment about keeping transponder of toad in a foil bag until needed. As noted above with my exchange with Tom Cheery the EZ-Pass CS told me I needed both if I was towing a toad. Of course that is CS which might or might not be correct. I have two transponders but if I only need the one when towing, without a greater charge, I would like to know more about your experience. Either way the convenience is worth it.

I saw a post that suggested this as standard practice... the logic seemed to be that the toll applies to the vehicle under power.  Otherwise, you'd need a transponder for a trailer if you decided to pull one on a trip.  I haven't had any issues from FL, GA, NC, VA, PA, or NY.

9 hours ago, 1nolaguy said:

I believe ( verify with SunPass) the sticker passes are only good in Florida and perhaps Georgia. For greater state access you need the Sunpass Pro (movable with suction cups. There is no difference in the rates or how billing is handles, etc. I think it only has to do with the transponder. The PRO version give a reflective signal while the peal and stick is just recognized by AI in the photo.

Yes maybe so. The original purchase while wintering in FL was just for the car and it worked well. So it seems that being I have the mh plate and the towed plate both tied to the SunPass the plate gets gets a pic taken and goes back to the SunnPass even in IL? It’s the 5 axle charge that’s off. So I want to find out then am I getting a charge by plate rate?

Here is the link that explains the NC Quick Pass.

https://www.ncquickpass.com/

We have the NC Quick Pass E-ZPass which works on toll facilities in North Carolina, Florida (SunPass), Georgia (Peach Pass) and the following states where E-ZPass is accepted.

Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Illinois
Indiana
Kentucky
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Virginia
West Virginia

I have 2 transponders. One I keep in the MH and one in the toad. When towing, I put the toad transponder in its foil bag and put it in the glove box so that both are not charged $$. Seven years and no problems.

FWIW... my summary....and this is based on USING these for at least 12 years....

IL IPass. FREE Transponders and FREE Replacements.  Only ONE needed, per THEM and you can have almost UNLIMITED vehicles.  List all the vehicles that might get their plates "scanned".  LOTS of spaces or rows for cars, MH, Trailers, Etc. Have used this for over 12 years and NEVER been cited or billed by any agency as "You OWE US".  Know that if I use in MH and towing around Raleigh....get billed for combined Axles....as in every other state we use.  In NC get a combined one line charge per booth and BIG $$ for a BIG UN and a LITTLE UN.  But when in the Little UN(S), way lower. it works.

OK....just went to the site.  I had recently ADDED another Transponder to my account for my GD. NOW either of the Transponders will work for any of our vehicles.  Count for that is 8

ME (5 - was 6 when I had a Boat trailer) MH plus 3 cars plus Utility trailer or 5

Daughter 3 cars including the GD.  Daughter has the Sun Pass...but her car is ALSO registered on the Ipass....  so at one time, I had 9 vehicles.

NOTE....it does NOT matter which vehicle the transponder is in.  Thus, my daughter can borrow my Utility Trailer and pull it, 

NO HASSLE... That's my take.

Sun Pass. Have or ONLY needed ONE.  That was what the CSU told me when I bought in 2015. Have used it in many states.  Daughter in NC (close to us) now uses it and lets her kids use it if needed when they drive from Raleigh to Durham and need the tollway.  She has NEVER got a bill for tolls with it.  It has a limitation on how many "units" you can list a license plate for. It is the SAME logic or format as the Ipass...EDIT ONLY 6 VEHICLES

NC Did or does require one for each vehicle.  Thus if you have a MH and a Car...two... Have had to "peel" and tape in cars when folks trade. NEVER registered the vehicles as the "account" will send out bills.....thus it DOES NOT read the plates.  That was 8 or so years ago when I last moved the permanent one from one car to her new ride.  Finally gave my daughter my Sun Pass and added her car(s) to it.  That KILLED the NC one Transponder Strip per car.  NC told me I WOULD be billed for a Utility trailer unless I figured out to put one on and "weatherproof)...NO THANKS.... 

NOTE....this is a great subject.  I needed to do some updating and also a bit of rearranging....and this topic got me to "think and do".  Hope this is simple enough...

• Like 1

I appreciate Everyone’s input and personal experiences on this topic. I’m in no need currently but am looking to the future. I live in MO and we don’t have any tolls here that I can choose something from here at home. Future travel to the southeast.

This has really been a good topic and in the midst of the discussion I realized I got rid of one car on the system and bought a new one that was not yet added. Tomorrow I am going to contact Sun Pass or go to the website to see whats what.

On 10/29/2023 at 6:05 PM, Dr4Film said:

you have to purchase the UNI-Pass, then purchase another one when the battery runs out.

How do you know when the battery runs out?

My Uni-Pass keeps falling off the windshield so now it rests against the windshield on the dash.  I could glue it . . . .

- bob

10 hours ago, 1nolaguy said:

This has really been a good topic and in the midst of the discussion I realized I got rid of one car on the system and bought a new one that was not yet added. Tomorrow I am going to contact Sun Pass or go to the website to see whats what.

UPDATE...  After doing a LOT of digging and also updating my I-Pass (Illinois) account and my "Sun Pass" account....  as well as reading...the FAQ's

I-PASS is virtually "unlimited" as to the number of vehicles...if you have many and don't frequent tolls and share.  Have two I-PASS transponders and any vehicle with any transponder works....NO HASSLE.  The I-PASS transponders are free....and they provide replacements when required.

@cbr046  There is only TWO ways to see if the battery is bad.  YES....this is REAL LIFE.  I pulled into a toll booth, which you had to pay or could be "waved" on through in Indiana.  The lady said.... You ain't got no transponder".  YES... I DO...here it is...  She then tried to swipe it.  Call I-Pass.  Tell them it is broken.....they will send you a new on.  

THE OTHER....from my conversation with I-PASS.  Called them.  They looked at the transponder (you give them the account and SN of the transponder).  They have a record, just like my pacemaker, of battery date and WHEN it is supposed to fail.  If within a year or so, will mail out (FREE) a new one....or if you have had a Tollway REJECT it.  

NOW... FWIW....I have used my I-Pass maybe 100 times.  Only two "WHOA....THERE" in the manual booths were in WV and IN.  I never got a bill for either one.

OK....  NEXT on UPDATE...

The ORIGINAL SUN PASS has now been replaced by the SUN PASS PRO.  Of COURSE you can update.  Just BUY a NEW Transponder.  Next UP....the UNIPASS is different, so it seems, from the SUN PASS.  BUT, after spending much time and having to call them to do something that they said could be done...ONLINE...  They appear to be a "Horse of another color...perhaps breed"

The UNI-PASS, which you BUY can be bought from Florida....and they have that on their... PURCHASE here or from Amazon.  They also sell their Sun Pass PRO and maybe the original Sun Pass.

The only comment...  PURCHASE is the key operative.

Illinois I-PASS, which was the FAVORITE and MOST RECOMMENDED some 10 years ago on the Yahoo site...if FREE....and they provide FREE replacements and it WORKS just like the EZ Pass or the UNI - EZ Pass.... 

And there are NO limitations, practically, on the number of Transponders and Vehicles....

AND you only need ONE....ONE for the vehicle...and they move from one to the other.  Thus, if you have a MH and TOW...one in the MH works.  That is the CONCEPT behind the EZ Pass and Uni Pass.  They are DESIGNED for ALL TOLLWAYS and the software and recognition and whatever picks up the Axles and you are charged.  My I-Pass transponders are the GENERIC "car/suv up to 7000 LBS".  I had to make a change and the lady told me.  MH's get the SAME UNIT.  We DO have special COMMERCIAL Transponders.

That's my morning update...after spending some quality time last night rejuggling my fleet and figuring out my GK's would NOT understand which went where when sharing.  LIFE goes on...despite the complexity of technology and AI.

For my E-Z Pass, the sign at the tollgate flashed to contact the office. They sent me a new transponder at no cost and told me to discard the old.

FWIW, I did not have to pay for the original transponder. I've been very pleased with E-Z Pass. I've been a user since it first came out a gazillion years ago.

20 minutes ago, bobdinsmore said:

For my E-Z Pass, the sign at the tollgate flashed to contact the office. They sent me a new transponder at no cost and told me to discard the old.

FWIW, I did not have to pay for the original transponder. I've been very pleased with E-Z Pass. I've been a user since it first came out a gazillion years ago.

Absolutely.  You were around when this was a hot topic.  Our old Buddy, Mikee posted a lot.  There were states offering the EZ Pass..and some had different rules.  Your experience with EZPASS mirrors mine with the IPASS. I only advocate that new purchasers read and research.  it was a maze back then.  You, like me ain’t gonna change…but the IPass got more press back then and has been as reliable as your EZ pass. 

could you post the state or the site.  I called, Virginia, I think some 10 years ago and they were an EZ PASS state issuer….but then, you had to stop at a toll booth. ILLINOIS was simple overt the  phone and has been as good as your experience with EZPASS.

Thanks

14 hours ago, cbr046 said:

How do you know when the battery runs out?

My Uni-Pass keeps falling off the windshield so now it rests against the windshield on the dash.  I could glue it . . . .

- bob

Bob,

My I-Pass Transponder has an expiration date of 07/29.  I purchased it back in 2019. I would think that if the transponders battery dies it would no longer work when you traversed an electronic toll station but you should be notified that it needs to be replaced when you check your account for charges and tolls.

I check my account generally within a day or two of using any toll road/bridge.

Forgot to add that I never attach the transponder to any windshield. I just lay it on the dash in the drivers side corner while using it in the car or the coach.

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Like 1