Windsor leaning to the right

Pudgy Camper

Hi everyone, I need some help figuring out what's going on with my coach. I've searched and read countless threads about this issue but haven't been able to diagnose my problem.

I started it up the other day and after the system aired up in travel mode, the coach was sitting low at the right rear. I dumped the air and started it up again......same thing. My first thought was that one of the rubber connectors on the ride height valve connecting rod had broke. But all of them are still intact and look good. The second thing I wanted to check was the ride height valve itself. According to the Hadley instruction manual, they can be tested by manually raising and lowering the valve's arm. After turning the key to the on position to activate the HWH system, putting it in travel mode, installing jack stands (for safety of course) and removing the lower connecting rod mounting bolt, I was able to manually move the valve arm up/down and raise/lower the air bags and the coach at the right rear. So this tells me the ride height valve is working.....right?

I've studied the HWH text book and now have a better understanding of how the system works, and all symptoms point to a faulty ride height valve. But I'm confused that it works when I test it manually. Maybe it's an intermittent problem? Am I on the right track here? Any other suggestions on how to trouble shoot before I start throwing parts at it? 

I have a trip planned in a couple weeks and it would be a shame to have to cancel it because I can't figure this out! I feel like it's probably something pretty straight forward. Thanks for any input!

Jason

Do you have HWH air leveling?  If so, then the air pathway thru the ride height valve is controlled by the Travel solenoid valve on the HWH six pack.  It sounds like you may have a stuck Travel mode valve, or an electrically failed Travel mode solenoid.  I carry a spare HWH solenoid just for this situation.  All the solenoids on the six pack are the same, so having a spare will work in any position.

Richard

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hex_nut said:

Jason

Do you have HWH air leveling?  If so, then the air pathway thru the ride height valve is controlled by the Travel solenoid valve on the HWH six pack.  It sounds like you may have a stuck Travel mode valve, or an electrically failed Travel mode solenoid.  I carry a spare HWH solenoid just for this situation.  All the solenoids on the six pack are the same, so having a spare will work in any position.

Richard

Since he was able to raise the side by manipulating that valve arm, the ride hight solenoid must be open as it correctly should in travel mode.

• Like 2

@Pudgy Camper  I agree with @Ivan K that you should try and set your ride height adjustment.  Maybe do both sides of the rear axle while your at it.  Your manual should have the procedure on how to do this for you coach.  Since you are able to make adjustments your six pack should be working.  If the problem persists, then you may have to replace the ride height controller.

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis

Since you can move the right side of the coach up & down by actuating the valve by hand, it implies the valve itself is good and something may have slipped.  

Why not look over the valve mounting and adjustment for anything that may be loose, bent, or broken?

I agree, the air leveling system seems to be working correctly.
I suspect, since the linkage looks ok, that something internal to the ride height valve has slipped or changed in some way that changes its center point.
You may be able to adjust the linkage to correct it, but I'd go ahead and replace the valve to prevent it happening again on the road.  They're not expensive, and pretty easy to swap.

On 11/4/2023 at 9:51 AM, Ivan K said:

So it does not come to level ride hight at all? Can you readjust the ride hight valve in case the rubber slipped on the rod or the arm got out of adjustment? Or is the left side raising higher than it should? 

Thanks Ivan,

All 3 other corners raise as normal but the right rear only raised a little bit, probably less than half of what is normal. It's possible the left side is raising higher than it should, but everything looked pretty normal after I raised the right side by manually moving the vale's arm. I'll keep that in mind when I spend some more time on it today.

22 hours ago, Bill R said:

@Pudgy Camper  I agree with @Ivan K that you should try and set your ride height adjustment.  Maybe do both sides of the rear axle while your at it.  Your manual should have the procedure on how to do this for you coach.  Since you are able to make adjustments your six pack should be working.  If the problem persists, then you may have to replace the ride height controller.

Thanks Bill, I plan to spend some time looking at everything later today. I'll check the ride height and adjust as needed. I agree, the 6 pack seems to be working, I'm leaning towards the ride height valve has an intermitted issue.

4 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

Since you can move the right side of the coach up & down by actuating the valve by hand, it implies the valve itself is good and something may have slipped.  

Why not look over the valve mounting and adjustment for anything that may be loose, bent, or broken?

Thanks Ray, I'll look everything over again today but I didn't notice anything broke or loose the last time I was under there.

2 hours ago, dl_racing427 said:

I agree, the air leveling system seems to be working correctly.
I suspect, since the linkage looks ok, that something internal to the ride height valve has slipped or changed in some way that changes its center point.
You may be able to adjust the linkage to correct it, but I'd go ahead and replace the valve to prevent it happening again on the road.  They're not expensive, and pretty easy to swap.

Thanks dl, yeah I agree. I think I'll just go ahead and replace the ride height valve, maybe even both of them on the rear.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to give an update on my leaning issue. I replaced both rear ride height valves along with the connecting rods and set the ride height to 9" all the way around (front and rear). I dumped and let the system refill up to travel height multiple times and everything seems to be working fine now. My guess is the old RHV had a dead spot in it or was starting to wear out.

But one thing I noticed is that even when the air is dumped, the coach leans to the right slightly. Could that be my bump stops inside the bags are worn out on that side? 

Anyhow, I'm going on a short trip in a few days and I'll see how she does. Thanks everyone for the input and help fixing this!