Fog light replacement.

Steven P

I've had these Hella fog lights bookmarked for a while. Finally ordered and installed them.  Note, they are off road use only so I plan to use them whilst off-roading. Much brighter than the OEM fog lights.  I don't have pics from the cockpit but we saw many deer last night.  When I got back on the road, no one flashed me that they were too bright.  So far, I'm happy w the purchase.  I had to lower the original brackets and put a spacer in to make them work and they are upside down, but Hella says that makes no difference. 2nd pic has new on drivers side.  They appear brighter in the pics, but they aren't blinding.  No relays needed, just spliced into existing wires. 

20231101_170841.jpg

20231101_185211.jpg

20231101_200636.jpg

• Like 3

I added LED type lights and pointed them down and off to the passenger side.   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PWLZDNH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Last week got a chance to test them as I drove at night to get home, they did a good job of illuminating the road in front of me.   I don't think they bothered anybody, hard to tell. 

But can't be much worse then some of the lights people have been adding, I had a semi following me for quite a while and his lights were blinding me in my rear view mirrors. 

• Like 1

@Steven P thanks for sharing.  Thinking of doing the same.  My fog lights will not work with high beams. Is that the same for your coach?  I am not planning on doing any off roading, but just want to light the road a bit more with the fog lights.

@jacwjames  did you install these as fog lights too?

@Bill R yes, my fog lights are active w the low beams and off w the hi beams.  These lights are labeled "for off road use only" however i didnt find DOT # on the OEM foglights.  They definitely help when "offroading" 😉.

• Thanks 1

On 11/4/2023 at 10:32 AM, Steven P said:

I've had these Hella fog lights bookmarked for a while. Finally ordered and installed them.  Note, they are off road use only so I plan to use them whilst off-roading. Much brighter than the OEM fog lights.  I don't have pics from the cockpit but we saw many deer last night.  When I got back on the road, no one flashed me that they were too bright.  So far, I'm happy w the purchase.  I had to lower the original brackets and put a spacer in to make them work and they are upside down, but Hella says that makes no difference. 2nd pic has new on drivers side.  They appear brighter in the pics, but they aren't blinding.  No relays needed, just spliced into existing wires. 

20231101_170841.jpg

20231101_185211.jpg

20231101_200636.jpg

i realy like these where did you get them, i am in canada and roads are not very well lit

@djlgnd i ordered them from Summit racing. I tried Amazon, but they only had 1 at the time.  Came in quickly too!

@djlgnd they offer a flood and a spot light so make sure you get the ones you want.  I opted for flood since I was replacing flood lights.  Amazon had some combo flood, spot lights I saw. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Steven P got me to finally get after this project after having those flood lights in my amazon 'shopping' for nearly a year.  With free priming shipping, Amazon was just slightly less than Summit, after I added shipping to my address.  Overall, a pretty simple project but really a good improvement to night driving visibility.  As @Steven P mentioned, I didn't see a DOT stamp on the old fog lights.  The new ones are easily adjusted up, down or you can swing them after they are installed.   

However, at least on my coach, it's not a 'plug and play' swap out.

The originally bracket holding the old fog lights is just screwed to the reinforcement plate at an angle and just looks  installed 'half hearted' by the original installer.  This picture happens to be on the drivers side, looking in from extended generator slide.  I could not just bolt the new fog lights onto that bracket as the angle wouldn't allow to adjust.

I made up an angled board using a 2x4, cut and ran through my table saw and jointer.  Then primed and painted it black and glued/screwed it to the original backing that is fiberglassed to the inside of the front cap.   This allowed the new light to be mounted and easily adjusted within it's limits.  This new (completed) picture was taken on the passenger side.  The bolts that came with the new fog light aren't  long enough, so I had a few laying around, otherwise HD or lowes.  I needed to use extra nuts and washer to have the fog light mounted well below the angle bracket in picture so the lights were centered in the fog light housing of the front cap.   I took the old plug off the old light and reinstalled it on the new light, then crimped and sealed the connection.  The new lights are polarity sensitive, so verify it's working correctly before you connect everything.    

before bracket.jpg

after bracket.jpg

• Like 2