Micro-Air products

Mi Bill

40 minutes ago, Bill R said:

Ivan - In a recent email conversation I had with MicroAir there was no charge to reflash the thermostat, just shipping.  I have not done it because I don't plan on installing the new AC till the Spring, but I have to believe that if there is any charge then it will definitely be way less than the cost of a new one.

Bill, this is a strange situation.  Microair told me that a 10 button replacement will NOT work with the Dometic 5 button controller which is the original  CCC digital signal. Comversely, their 5 button replacement will not work with the 10 Button CCC2 controller.

They said that you had to order the EXACT controller for which system, CCC or original 5 Buttom or the CCC2 new 10 button system.  They also said they did not make one that was a “double duty” or would work with either one.

OK….are they NOW saying that they can or will “reflash” a controller so that it will be programmed (an original 5 button CCCC) to work with the CCC2 (10 button).  If so, then they ARE now offering a way to switch systems.  Can you call sometime and ask that clearly as we need that information.

Second thing….based on my memory of your email.  If you install a NEW Penguin, Dometic says it can be “dumbed down from CCC2 to CCC and it will work, as long as you install the conversion kit, with the old or original  CCC system.  Folks do that all the time.

BUT, if you ONLY are doing a single replacement and there is ANOTHER old Penguin that is also controlled by the same Thermostat…as in a CCC 5 button, there is NO KIT or conversion to “smarten up” the old existing unit. FACT stated many times by Dometic tech support and published.

Bottom line…if you have only ONE old unit on the thermostat….presumably the original 5 button….and you UPGRADED to a Microair….then, yes….if you put in or have a Microair that was CCC or 5 button….and then install a new one and keep the new CCC2….and Microair will reflash the controller for a 10 button CCC2, YEP….DOUBLE YEP….all is well.

But you can’t mix a new Pdnguin with the existing NEW CCC2 controller with an old unit that has a CCC controller.  It ain’t gonna work….Dometic says that.  Microair MAY be assuming that your new unit is a standalone unit….that is the only way their email makes sense.

Thatks the way it is….and Dometic  is fhe authority.  So, I would check it out….otherwise you will be posting for help…and the scenario above  is how it works.

Please do some fact finding….it would be great…then we all know…

Thanks,

20 hours ago, Ivan K said:

There we go, that's what I was looking for in the future. Firmware upgrade. Can you share if and how cost effective the reprogramming vs buying a new one?

All I had to pay was shipping.  There was no charge to reflash the tstat.  🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

Please do some fact finding….it would be great…then we all know…

Tom - you correctly laid out the working parameters for the MicroAir and compatibility with 5 and 10 button units.  I have a Penguin II and DuoTherm running on the 5 button MicroAir Unit (EasyTouch RV357).  The Penguin II has the conversion (dumbed down) board installed so it can run like this.   I purchased another Penguin II to be installed in the Spring, and plan to replace the existing Penguin II conversion board with an original board.  Thus, as you stated, I will need a MicroAir Unit for 10 button compatibility (EasyTouch RV350)

I admit it seems several are getting different messages from MicroAir on upgrading from the RV357 to the RV350.   My email from them basically states that I send in my old unit and they will send me back one that will work with the Penguin II 10 button design.  Beyond that I cannot speak to what MicroAir is actually doing with the unit.  Are they changing the software?  Are they just swapping out boards?  I can't say what they are doing, but only that the can fix my issue when I get to installing the Penguin II and it would be a minimal cost.  

I suspect they are starting to get a lot of requests/complaints from customers who bought the RV357 and after changing out AC units to Penguin II's the RV357 will not work.   And these are expensive devices.   Maybe the are wanting to keep a good marketing campaign and customer service?  Who knows, but my experience is they have been very helpful and willing to provide a solution without having to purchase a new RV350 unit.  

1 minute ago, Steven P said:

All I had to pay was shipping.  There was no charge to reflash the tstat.  🙂

Exactly what I am being told.

• Like 2