Micro-Air products

Mi Bill

We have a 2009 Regal IV. It has three Dometic model 630516.331 AC/Heat pumps. They use a Duo Therm five-button control. Others on the forum have discussed putting new AC units in and difficulty getting a suitable controller. I have a related question. I received an email from FMCA about Micro-Air’s Easy Start and Easy Touch Controller. Has anyone installed/used these items?

Thank you.

Bill

Yes, I just looked into switching out my thermo. Looks like good reviews and I love the features. Bluetooth, phone app to remote control it, etc. Would have ordered one yesterday.  Problem is, I have the FOUR button thermo, and according to Easy Touch, I would also need to change out my AC control unit/units at $180.00 each as well. Think I'll wait.

I did install new AC's in 2021, which would have required the new 10 button thermostat.  But instead of the 10 button I went with the MicroAir.  To purchase, when you go to their website, you select the thermostat that you want to replace.  In my case I selected the 10 button which would work with the new AC's. 

If you want to replace a 5 button you'd choose that.

So I installed the AC's and simply plugged communication cable that had been plugged into 5 button into the MicroAir, that was it.  It connected to both AC's and was functional.  I then had to set it up for bluetooth and wifi, which was a little bit of a chore since the instructions weren't that great.  But once connected not a problem.  I seldom use the display on the MicroAir to change the settings, I'll use Bluetooth and/or Wifi if I have an internet connection.  Works great.

One issue you have is when/if you replace one or more of your AC's the MicroAir may not work since it won't be compatible with the 5 button.  Not sure if they would upgrade or reprogram the unit to match your new AC units. 

3 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

I have Easy Start in one AC unit so I can start it with a good 30A shore while the first unit is set so low to never cycle. Works fine for us and certainly doesn't hurt, except the wallet...

What's your amp draw with two running?

I tried that at home, with my Hughes Autoformer but ended up melting the plug where two 30A extension cords joined (ahead of the AF).

12 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

What's your amp draw with two running?

I tried that at home, with my Hughes Autoformer but ended up melting the plug where two 30A extension cords joined (ahead of the AF).

I only have a snapshot with 2 units running individually so a sum of the two would be the answer. The picture was dated in April so with higher head pressures in the summer it should increase some. These are my original 13.5 HP units. One of them with the easy start which makes no difference once started.

20230430_175052.jpg

Edited by Ivan K
Auto correct messed up...

In my case it was the Micro-Air or change the board in the new Penguin II as the Dometic 10 button was too wide for the wall space where the 5 button was installed.  It has some nice features but one thing that took a lot to get used to was figuring out what temperature to set up to get the desired temperature outcome.  For some reason I need to set it about 3 degrees higher.  i.e. If want the A/C to cool the room to 78° I set the Micro-Air to 81°.  If I want to heat the room to 72° I have to set it to 75°.  Now that I've learned that and verified my "chilly" feelings were correct by cross verification of actual temperatures with several different independent thermometers I'm much happier.  Perhaps my Micro-Air is a fluke in the settings, but I can live with it now.  Typically I use the "Away" mode to set the "window range"of heat or cool temps so it automatically cools or heats.  Many times we're in that in-between climate where it's chilly in the morning and like a little heat but need A/C in the afternoon.  When I used the single temp setting for Heat vs A/C I would often find it fighting the bedroom thermostat ... i.e. the bedroom 2 zones trying to cool the place while the front Micro-Air was trying to heat the place up, or vica versa.  As far as a Bluetooth ... I find it easier to walk by the thermostat rather than find my phone and start up an app.

Basically a “comment” after a lot of posts and many of us moderators and others helping folks.  Use the Search Box and use microair and select topics.

EZ Starts.  They seem to work.  Not a 100% fix and once the compressor motors get “worn” past a certain point….nothing is gonna save them.  It is a value or judgment call as to whether to take the $$ for the “bandaid” fix and use it towards a NEW AC or use it to get a little or maybe a lot more time.  All the independent reviews say the EZ Start will NOT add more life or make a new unit run longer.  The standard capacitors can be replaced with a new one, but if the motor is wearing…then may be the bandaid needed…but not a fix or a permanent repair,  NOTE…I HOPE this is stated correctly and is the consensus of what many, a lot with electrical savvy” have posted.  If not…chime in.

Microair thermostats.  They have sort of “thrown” a monkey wrench lately.  They have sent out a response that one can use a NEW or existing CCC2 (10 button) controller in their new units and NOT install the Factory Stated (Dometic) installation guidelines.  Dometic says that you MUST remove the CCC2 control module and install the special “dumb down” or refrofit module ($200) in order to use the old 5 button system.  If I read the Microair email posted, it says….KEEP the NEW CCC2 control module and we (Microair) will reflash your “5 button” equivalent controller and it will work.  That is baffling.  Microair, In at least 2 phone calls to their tech support, said…”WE DO NOT UNDERSTAND how the Dometic system works.  All we did was clone or reverse engineer it”.  SO their latest information does not make sense to me as Dometic says you need the retro conversion module for the new Penguin to work with the old CCC 5 button.  I specifically asked Microair if they had a thermostat that would work with both.  Their answer….NO.  You must order either one….and their website still lists both…and there was. NOT, as of a few weeks ago, a notice that they now have one that is interchangeable.

We have also had folks that had issue with the system and Microair’s solution was to “replace” their thermostat….but could not help troubleshoot….as in, they don’t know how it work.  The problem was the old 5 button module….or maybe the new 10 button…but not in the Microair thermostat .  The OP got help here and swapped the modules….bingo….problem followed the modules….and he replaced and fixed it….based on help here.

Dometic is very stingy with tech support with the NON Dometic thermostat issues.

YES….many….a lot of our members are happy and like the products.  But the bulk of them are very “savvy” and well versed in how to troubleshoot.  Based on some comments, they are more well versed than many of the techs…  so,…if one is going the Microair route, it seems that the DIY or the ones that may have done a combo system had the skills or a good tech.

Again….this is the consensus of the posts and also doing a lot of research and talking to Dometic.  I don’t believe we had a followup, or I missed it, about the old 5 button Microair equivalent being “reflashed” and leaving in the new CCC2 controller..

CHIME IN….this post is for facts and information, as requested….and if I misrepresented something and you have information….we all learn.

I've had both.  First I went w the micro air tstat and love it.  I had it on my older duotherm heat pumps.  When I replaced  those w new models almost 2 years ago I sent my tstat to microair and they programmed it for the new heat pumps.  

I had a soft start on my rear old heat pump and liked it.  I could run that heat pump from 20A hookup when needed.  When I had the units replaced I forgot to pull it off so it got trashed...gulp.  I haven't put one back on bc we haven't been able to travel as much.  

• Like 1

Thank you all for the great information.

I emailed Micro-Air about a discount for multiple units. This was their reply. ( I have no connection to Micro-Air) I thought others might be interested. Thanks. Bill

Hi Bill,

Although we do not have the discount details yet, a Cyber Monday banner will be published on our web store on 11/23 with a discount code information.

Keep an eye on our web store for deep discount information starting on 11/23. https://www.microair.net

Thanks,
Sales Administration 

23 hours ago, Mi Bill said:

Thank you all for the great information.

I emailed Micro-Air about a discount for multiple units. This was their reply. ( I have no connection to Micro-Air) I thought others might be interested. Thanks. Bill

Hi Bill,

Although we do not have the discount details yet, a Cyber Monday banner will be published on our web store on 11/23 with a discount code information.

Keep an eye on our web store for deep discount information starting on 11/23. https://www.microair.net

Thanks,
Sales Administration 

I purchased my thermostat in the fall of 2021 - full price.  On Black Friday there was a discount- I can’t remember what the percentage was, but it was enough to make me wish I’d have waited to place my order.  No refunds/credits for prior purchases. 

37 minutes ago, Barry W said:

I have the Microair thermostat and love it.  My question does anyone know where the external thermometer is located?

IIRC, Screwed onto the frame of the roof top unit & wired to the roof top unit control board.  All part of the secret communications protocol ...

49 minutes ago, Barry W said:

I have the Microair thermostat and love it.  My question does anyone know where the external thermometer is located?

This is on/in the AC unit themselves.  Here is a link on a conversion from a 5 button thermostat which requires installing a new ambient sensor. 

https://myrvworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Conversion-5-Buton-to-Heat-Pump.pdf

They indicate is attached with tape to the lower pan. 

While searching for more information concerning Soft Start and Easy Start, I came across Active Start. I called the number in Florida and spoke with the young lady who indicated they were electrical design people for Soft Start. Active Start allows you to plug into the 50-amp pedestal, providing for all the air-conditioners and other appliances that need a lot of startup energy. So you don't have to have one for each AC. Below is the link to their website. They are having Black Friday sales like everyone else. I have nothing to do with this company. I just thought the information would be valuable.  https://active-controls-llc.myshopify.com/

Thanks

Bill

The reasons I put on Ez starts on my A/C’s is we have been in several parks when we want the air conditioner- but when the compressor kicks in- it drops the voltage low enough the transfer switch kills the power. Very frustrating…

Yesterday, I installed the Ez start in our oem dometic unit. (I get the Bluetooth style), because it is cold I used the heat pump for the 5 starts. My first start used 27.4a for the startup and the final one used 15.3a. This unit is old enough- I didn’t put in on when I put the first on on - but I found I really like them. And I can easily pull it off when I replace the unit.

we often find ourselves staying at relatives houses - with the ez start and our Victron Multiplus inverter we can run the bedroom A/C while plugged into a 15a cord and only drawing 10amps of it.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 6:29 AM, Steven P said:

When I replaced  those w new models almost 2 years ago I sent my tstat to microair and they programmed it for the new heat pumps. 

There we go, that's what I was looking for in the future. Firmware upgrade. Can you share if and how cost effective the reprogramming vs buying a new one?

31 minutes ago, Rocketman3 said:

The reasons I put on Ez starts on my A/C’s is we have been in several parks when we want the air conditioner- but when the compressor kicks in- it drops the voltage low enough the transfer switch kills the power. Very frustrating…

Yesterday, I installed the Ez start in our oem dometic unit.  

Well done!

Don't think you could get 23yrs service out of a new model!

8 hours ago, Ivan K said:

There we go, that's what I was looking for in the future. Firmware upgrade. Can you share if and how cost effective the reprogramming vs buying a new one?

Ivan - In a recent email conversation I had with MicroAir there was no charge to reflash the thermostat, just shipping.  I have not done it because I don't plan on installing the new AC till the Spring, but I have to believe that if there is any charge then it will definitely be way less than the cost of a new one.

• Like 1