front cap separating from body

That joint is almost covered by a vertical "belt line", similar to the regular belt line. The problem is the belt line is entirely over the front cap; none of it is over the body. It appears the only thing holding the front cap to the body is caulking. And there is nothing behind the body panel to secure it to. See pictures.

Is this normal? Do I just re-caulk?

front cap joint - 2.jpeg

front cap joint - 1.jpeg

1 hour ago, 96 EVO said:

Should be some screws or rivets in there.

There were screws going through the aluminum "belt line" into the front cap; nothing into the body.

1 hour ago, Bob Wightman said:

just re-caulk...but use a urethane base caulk like OSI Quad that you can get from Home Depot or Lowes

I  hope that is a strong cement!

I would look from underneath to see if you can put a piece of pressure treated wood behind the joint then screw the beltline trim thru the cap and into it with longer screws. Just be sure your piece of wood bridges the cap and the sidewall.  I would probably put some construction adhesive between the parts before screwing them down

Edited by Chargerman

1 hour ago, Chargerman said:

I would look from underneath to see if you can put a piece of pressure treated wood behind the joint then screw the beltline trim thru the cap and into it with longer screws. Just be sure your piece of wood bridges the cap and the sidewall.  I would probably put some construction adhesive between the parts before screwing them down

Worth a look. Thanks.

I had the same problem. The screws had pulled out of the metal frame. I replaced the screws with some stainless ones, a half-inch longer and larger diameter.  Urethane caulk and re-installed the belt cover. Still good after 3 years!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HarleyR said:

I had the same problem. The screws had pulled out of the metal frame. I replaced the screws with some stainless ones, a half-inch longer and larger diameter.  Urethane caulk and re-installed the belt cover. Still good after 3 years!

Thanks Harley. I'm still looking for new screws....