Windshields Moving When Going Over Uneven Surfaces

I made a reply about this on a different windshield related post & no one replied. Also did a search & nothing came up. When I drive through a drive approach or something similar that twists the body you can see the windshield’s moving up & down in the rubber. The roof is not moving so it must be the bottom where they sit on the dash. Anyone else’s windshields moving? Don’t know if this is anything to worry about. 

My Cayman does this too. Freaks me out.  Far as I have read though, it is normal to an extent, but I have seen others posting on here that their windshield has popped out before.  
🤷‍♂️ 

• Thanks 1

To my understanding these are considered a “floating windshield” and are designed to do this, if they didn’t they would break. Just think what the rest of the coach is doing? I try hard not to put our coach into a twisting situation as much as possible. Jmo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On mine, the two L-brackets that attach the dash to the body structure have separated so I have to get this fixed. I'll wait until I get the windshield gasket replaced next Spring. Fortunately, no trips before then. So you may want to see if these brackets are in tight.

• Thanks 1

The two piece windshield setup that Monaco used was designed for the glass to float. This is why you rarely ever hear of a cracked two piece windshield. I always felt Monaco and the other manufacturers made a mistake by going to the panoramic ( one piece ) windshield. I believe the first year was 2005 and was limited to Monaco coaches built in Oregon. In 2006 the one piece was standard on all Monaco coaches.

You hear about cracked windshields often on the one piece. Some one piece windshields will also pop out at a corner. These are all caused by pressure points, typically in the corners and happens while traveling on uneven pavement or while turning, such as into a drive that has a dip or incline. The body flexes front to back, pressure is applied to a corner and the windshield can crack from a pressure point being applied to a small area of the windshield ( normally in the corners ). The other thing that can cause cracks is aggressive leveling. Owners would be surprised if they knew how much our coach bodies flex. Not only will this cause cracked windshields it also will pop the belt lines near the front and back.

If you look at the Prevosts you will see they still use the floating double pane windshields. On the earlier H3-45's they had 4 pane windows with 4 windshield wipers.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, throgmartin said:

The two piece windshield setup that Monaco used was designed for the glass to float. This is why you rarely ever hear of a cracked two piece windshield. I always felt Monaco and the other manufacturers made a mistake by going to the panoramic ( one piece ) windshield. I believe the first year was 2005 and was limited to Monaco coaches built in Oregon. In 2006 the one piece was standard on all Monaco coaches.

You hear about cracked windshields often on the one piece. Some one piece windshields will also pop out at a corner. These are all caused by pressure points, typically in the corners and happens while traveling on uneven pavement or while turning, such as into a drive that has a dip or incline. The body flexes front to back, pressure is applied to a corner and the windshield can crack from a pressure point being applied to a small area of the windshield ( normally in the corners ). The other thing that can cause cracks is aggressive leveling. Owners would be surprised if they knew how much our coach bodies flex. Not only will this cause cracked windshields it also will pop the belt lines near the front and back.

If you look at the Prevosts you will see they still use the floating double pane windshields. On the earlier H3-45's they had 4 pane windows with 4 windshield wipers.

Thank you for the windshield information. I would like to talk to you sometime about my slides. I have a few questions. You are the highly recommended person for adjusting the slides. If I were closer I would make a appointment & come see you but I'm in Texas. If I message you my phone number could you call me some time?

Sometimes when I go across bridge abutments, I will get a huge wind noise from the windshield. Later when I  run across another abutment, the wind noise goes away. The first time it happened I thought I had just developed a massive air leak since it was so loud. A quick glance to the air gauges put my fears at bay. It still freaks me out when it happens, but I have just learned to live with it.  

1 hour ago, Indydyne said:

Sometimes when I go across bridge abutments, I will get a huge wind noise from the windshield. Later when I  run across another abutment, the wind noise goes away. The first time it happened I thought I had just developed a massive air leak since it was so loud. A quick glance to the air gauges put my fears at bay. It still freaks me out when it happens, but I have just learned to live with it.  

If you get access to under the dash one day, there should be few of the earlier mentioned front cap support braces. I found a couple that needed to be moved to actually do what they were ment to, and prevent the cap from bowing in, like in the pic.

IMG_20190405_124120060-1.jpg

11 hours ago, Dragracer said:

Thank you for the windshield information. I would like to talk to you sometime about my slides. I have a few questions. You are the highly recommended person for adjusting the slides. If I were closer I would make a appointment & come see you but I'm in Texas. If I message you my phone number could you call me some time?

You can call me anytime during business hours - 352-942-2653. Let Bethany know I asked for you to call and talk with me. I am always running somewhere around the service lot. She has an uncanny way to always find me. Even when I am hiding from her. If I am working on a coach I will call you back. 🙂

26 minutes ago, Indydyne said:

Ivan K,

Are those braces accessed inside the coach under the dash or outside the coach under the dash?

That's inside the coach pushing a plywood shaped profile against the inside of the cap. You can see the windshield gasket in the picture.