Generator Remote - Bedroom

ido70
Go to solution Solved by ido70,

I have a 2004 Windsor. The generator remote control in the bedroom quit working. This was noticed a few days after having the inverter replaced. I am not sure this is relevant but I add it as a consideration. I cannot return to the service firm which did the job.

I am trying to troubleshoot and cannot find any drawings that show this device or where the cabling between it and the generator may run. Has anyone any suggestions or info to share on this subject?

JimB2

do you have auto gen start with the old oinverter. What model did you remove and what did you replace it with? 

on mine the bedroom switch,dash and switch tie in at the ags connections at the inverter. The common ground is there a.long with the run ,start , stop and hour meter wires. Will the gen  start on any  switches? Mine,may be different. I now know how mine is to be wired but after installing a new xantrex sw 3012 my gen would not start using switch by driver. Cummins coach care lay down a anew conductor and all worked. I was then  able to install my xantrex ags myself.

don’t rule out trying a new switch in the bedroom. Or shut down all dc power and continuity check the switch. A totally open failed switch may be isolated there. You could also Power dc and check for voltages. this would be an easy place to start. Start simple.

Edited by Jetjockey

I looked through all our drawings for the Windsor and NO JOY.  

I can tell you this.  There are TWO types of ONAN Starting Circuits used.  One is a Positive and the OTHER is a Negative. With the later models, Monaco used the NEGATIVE STARTING. 

If you download the manual for the Onan, you will find the two diagrams there.  

MY GUESS....is that Monaco was consistent (GOD FORBID) and also used the Negative configuration in earlier years. 

If so, then you need to start chasing down WHICH of the REMOTE switches work.  Assuming you have an upfront Cockpit Switch.  Does IT WORK?

Here is the drawing for my Camelot. I have two remote switches....as well as the AGS. This drawing shows the incoming pins on the Monaco End of the 10 Pin Onan harness. It also shows the pins used on the remote switches.  

My Front switch has a Built in LED....  the Remote or rear switch does not...but there is an indicator light on the control panel.

Hope this helps.

Generator AGS Connection.pdf

Is the bedroom location the only one that does not work? If all switch locations don’t work, then check the plug on the generator itself. I have inadvertently disconnected mine running the generator slide in and out, by hooking the plug on the framing as it was going by. Hope this helps, good luck.

What inverter did you go back with.

On my 2002 Windsor the wiring for the generator start goes through the inverter, I have a Trace/Xantres RV2012.   The generator start wiring is connected to a terminal block but the wiring for the generator start is daisy chained and goes through the inverter.  My guess is they didn't attach the wire going back to the switch.  The way mine was wired the wires came in and went out but had butt connector with a short wire that went to the terminal block. 

The terminal block is labeled so it should be easy to see what's going on.

We’re all on the same page here.  The House wiring harness is probably the same.  The center tap of the generator switch is a ground. The Yellow starts it and the Red stops it.  The other two wires go to an “light” or indicator bulb.

The AGS snd the front and rear switches are all in parallel.  Thus any switch that is pushed to start (connects ground to yellow) will start it.  Any switch that is pushed to connect ground to red will stop it.  

I’d start with the rear switch.  Center is ground….verify that.  Then jump center to yellow….it should start.  Conversely jump center to red…. It should start.  If jumpering (use a bent paperclip) controls the genny…bad switch.  If the center is ground….then the wiring from the AGS to the switch is messed up.

You can use a spool of #16 hookup wire and test continuity on the wires from the rear to the AGS.

My guess is they didn't fool with the bedroom generator switch.

I'd remove the cover on the inverter and see if you see the wiring is all connected.  The terminal strip is labeled so should be pretty easy to see if all the wires are there and connected. 

The pictures shows the wiring for the generator and how they were butt connected together.  Note that there are just 2 blue wires, this is the generator light wire which is used by the BIRD and EMS system for generator sense, they pass through but are connected.  There are 3 other colors that are used/attached to the inverter for generator start. 

Inverter wiring.jpg

• Like 1

Iido70,  

replaced inverter exactly as your pictures. Wiring is identical. The two blue wires are hour meter b+and return. I installed the xantrex xanbus ags on my sw3012. The blue wires had to be connected to the ags harness for  gen run signal. On the rv2012 ags the blues were just crimped together. Once again what new inverter you have. Does it have ags?  Looks like we are all headed in the same direction. It will be something very simple. Hopefully.

Edited by Jetjockey

• Solution

So, an update people; I am fully aware now as too what and how this new inverter / charger works. I know how and where I can make the Gen remote connection to the AGS control unit. Unfortunately I still cannot locate the 3 cables coming from the bedroom remote to the basement inverter cubicle. I have other problems and jobs to complete so this one gets written up for future doings. Thankyou all for your help.

JimB2

Somewhere in my stash of documentation it says that the bedroom switch is branched off the midship switch, which in my case is above the fridge. Just an other possibility since everyone's coach seems different. I would expect it to be detailed in the front to rear wire bundle diagram if you have one.

50 minutes ago, ido70 said:

Ivan don’t I wish for better and accurate drawings. I have only 3 gen switches, at Gen, on mid dash and in bedroom. 

There is a wiring diagram for a 2004 Windsor in the downloads section.  I did a quick look but didn't find detail on the generator start switches. 

There is also a diagram for a 2003 (which looks like the same as my 2002).  There is a detailed schematic of the 12 volt wiring that does show the start switch for the generator and it is like mine.  The switches are all on the same line,

Attached is the page,  I put a sticky note showing the generator switches but it doesn't detail the actual routing but it looks like they are all daisy chained.

2002_Windsor_wiring_diagrams Rear Passenger side electric Generator start.pdf

Yes, I have these dwgs, thanks. Wouldn’t it be grand if they gave you some hint as to where access to these cable connectors they show could be found. Also, in my front dist cabinet below drivers window, there are a mess of cables run over each other with no identification on the connectors; looks like a snakes nest!

12 minutes ago, ido70 said:

Yes, I have these dwgs, thanks. Wouldn’t it be grand if they gave you some hint as to where access to these cable connectors they show could be found. Also, in my front dist cabinet below drivers window, there are a mess of cables run over each other with no identification on the connectors; looks like a snakes nest!

Yup,

I had several loose hanging relays that weren't marked, but when I peeled back the black protector most of them were labeled and using the wiring diagram was able to figure out what they were for.

Only suggestion I can give you is to buy a wire tracer and start from a know point.  In your case start at the generator start switch and see if you can follow the path.  My guess is that whey you had the inverter changed the installers didn't connect the wires.   I'd start looking in the compartment the inverter is located for the tone from the tracer.