Pneumatic Grease Gun

Anyone have a recommendation for a good, durable pneumatic grease gun. I've bought a couple, one $50 and one closer to $100 and they both worked great for a couple years. The seals started leaking after only three years in the cheaper gun and the more expensive one quit pumping grease. The both worked great when they worked, especially after I installed the locking nozzle.  I've been looking at the Milwaukee cordless gun, but I wonder how much pressure it can exert. Most of the pneumatic guns can apply upwards of 6000 PSI. 

Dennis,

I’ve had and used a pneumatic grease gun for a number of years. It worked fine but crawling around with the hose became a hassle. 
last year a friend gave me a Milwaukee M12 battery powered grease gun in appreciation for some work I did on his coach. I found it to be totally suitable for everything on my coach, including the driveshaft, and much easier to use than my pneumatic one. Milwaukee also makes a M18 model that supplies higher pressure but I don’t think it’s needed and the M18 is bigger and more costly. I would not hesitate to get another M12 if I needed one. I have a lot of M12 and M18 tools so I’m prone to buy that brand, but I know that there are other brands that are probably just as good. 
Roy

• Like 2

I have both the 12V and 18v Milwaukee and will never go back to air. I use them on my excavator and skid steer that get packed with dirt and they power right through everytine 

IMG_7298.jpeg

• Like 2

Dewalt or Milwaukee.  I prefer the dewalt, but if you already have Milwaukee batteries, I would go that route.  Last I saw, the milwaukee comes in a bag and the dewalt comes in a hard case.  Greasy bags sound like a disaster.  The lock-n-lube coupler is a worthwhile upgrade.

• Like 2

Two words of caution:

1) NEVER use anything other than a hand grease gun on the TRW gearbox shaft output grease fitting.  If you use a high pressure grease gun, you will force grease past the internal seal and into the hydraulic oil.

2) NEVER use moly grease on your drum brake slack adjusters - it's too slippery and the slack adjusters won't function properly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you are going to use any type of power grease gun, be very careful it is very easy to over grease things.

In my many years as a heavy equipment/diesel mechanic.

I have seen more than I can remember seals on bearings being blown out, brake S Cam bushings being over greased to the point you get grease on the brakes and u-joints with seals blown out and over greased with grease flung everywhere. yes, this all happens because of the operator.

Point being if you are going to use a power grease gun just be careful. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 12:20 AM, Frank McElroy said:

Two words of caution:

1) NEVER use anything other than a hand grease gun on the TRW gearbox shaft output grease fitting.  If you use a high pressure grease gun, you will force grease past the internal seal and into the hydraulic oil.

2) NEVER use moly grease on your drum brake slack adjusters - it's too slippery and the slack adjusters won't function properly.

Please give an example of a non moly grease?

15 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

Please give an example of a non moly grease?

Most any NLGI 2 Lithium complex grease would be a good choice.  I use Mobil MOBILITY SHC 220.  It takes me less than one tube of grease to grease all 27 grease fittings on my tag axle coach.  After greasing I wipe off all the excess grease from each grease joint.  I still use an old long handle grease gun that I bought back over 50 years ago.

PXL_20240324_173831803.jpg

PXL_20240324_173821229.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Paul J A said:

MOST grease 2day are/have a clay base. THAT is what I would use on the entire chassis. Slack adjusters especially.

So these last two grease examples I assume do not have a clay base? I often wondered about the red based stuff.

The following was taken out of the service manual on Bendix Spicer slack adjusters.

"The clay based grease is OK but I'd use lithium on the auto slack adjusters and the rest of the coach. But never Moly ".

Sorry for any confusion I may have made/done. 

• 3 weeks later...

I lubed the chassis with the DeWalt cordless grease gun this morning and what a different experience that is. I wish I'd bought one years ago when I went with a pneumatic gun instead instead. I was a little worried a couple of times when it took longer than I thought it should to get a couple fittings lubed, but eventually they I got them all done. Thanks for the suggestion! 

• Like 1